Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #21
C-Life
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a Mac so went with Logic Pro 9. Love it. Used Pro Tools in college but had problems with it on my Mac so went with Logic. No complaints. It is miles above Garage Band.

Also have a Roland Fantom G8, which is a blast.

Yamaha DTXplorer

M-Audio Profire 610

M-Audio Axion 25 MIDI controller

2 M-Audio Studiophile Cx-5 monitors

And an Audio-technica At4040

C-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #22
MrSector9
Backup Goalie

Exp:

ther eis so far alot more gear heads then i thought their would be on here... that is great even if we are railroading the OP haha
MrSector9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:03 AM   #23
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know about for guitar, but I used to use Propellerhead's Reason for composition and ProTools for recording and mastering.

Reason is by far the best software I've ever laid my hands on. A little harder to use than Fruity Loops, but far superior. It's also far superior to Ableton and Logic IMO.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:41 AM   #24
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

This site looks good for designing drum beats:

http://onlinedrummer.com/beats.php

Are there other resources like this?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #25
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Abelton, and especially FruityPoops are toys. ProTools sucks at MIDI. Cubase is the way to go. But it's all about your plugins. For GTR, get Amplitube 3. Drums is BFD2. The Waves bundles for mixing are fantastic.
Ableton is the way to go hands-down.

I've used Cubase, Cakewalk, Logic, Pro-Tools, Reason and Fruity-Loops and nothing compares to the flexibility and quality of Ableton live.
Two Fivenagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #26
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here is a FREE and very simple to use vst glitch effect.

http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/

Enjoy

Last edited by Two Fivenagame; 10-26-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: wrong url
Old 10-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #27
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

In the end it all boils down to what you are comfortable using. Ableton is confusing and counter-intuitive to me, while Logic or Reason just get my creative juices flowing.

The quicker you can get an idea from your head, through your instrument/midi, and onto the software - the better. It all depends how your mind works I suppose.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:29 PM   #28
Kswiss
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bump!

So I am running Ableton Live 9 Suite on a 2013 iMac (3.2 Ghz and 16 GB of Ram) and am interested in picking up another VST plug-in.

I am currently using Sylenth1 a lot but am wanting to diversify into something else. Anyone else have experience with Spectrasonic's Ominsphere? Positives? Negatives? I here it sucks a lot of CPU power, and since I dont know too much about computers, hopefully my computer can handle it? I really hate lag...

Thanks!
Kswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:12 AM   #29
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd suggest you try something that is based on a different form of synthesis than what you already have. Have you played with any granular synthesis? Camel Audio makes Alchemy which can create some wild soundscapes.

Be careful you aren't trying to solve your problems by just adding a new toy. Sylenth1 is great, especially if you're trying to sound like Hardwell
Old 04-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #30
Kswiss
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hey thanks Two

it could totally be writers block....needing to add some more variety....

would you recommend any audio interface? or even a USB mic...?

Thanks again, just wanting to buy some equipment before I spend my return on anything else!
Old 04-03-2014, 01:08 AM   #31
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

I find the silliest things kill writers block. I'd suggest looking into something you can hold and fiddle with like a Korg Monotribe. They're simple but sound amazing. Same filter as a Korg MS-20

Old 04-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #32
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermexico View Post
I started out just with Garageband and moved up to a copy of Logic. I'm still working my way around it. Garageband is really intuitive though and I was able to grasp and work up stuff really quickly.

When I moved to Logic I went to Long & McQuade and picked up these two things:

This is a Tascam US-122 - bascially a USB DI box. It's got quarter inch and XLR inputs.

I also got a little Oxygen MIDI controller:

I think the two together ran my about two hundred bucks or less.

As people mentioned, the Logic amp modelling is really good. You can basically whip up an amp set up and have it respond like you'd expect.
+1 for M-Audio midi keyboards. I have the same Oxygen and it's great. My next piece of equipment will likely be the Triggerfinger PRO once it is released in June:

The best DAW out there IMO is Reaper. It is so easy on resources and can be installed to a usb disk to take the program anywhere. It comes with a buttload of free plug ins (everything from autotune to 50hz kickers, eq, comp, etc.). Reaper was developed by some of the same people behind Acid studio back in the day.

This is the best part:

You can download a fully featured copy of Reaper (no restrictions in the program) and a license is only $60 to sell up to $20,000 and $240 for unlimited sales. Ableton will run you $600 and FL Studio is about $400.

The reaper forums are great and has a good community that is willing to help.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #33
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For free VSTs:

www.vstplanet.com

www.kvraudio.com

www.dskmusic.com
Old 04-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #34
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kswiss View Post
Hey thanks Two

it could totally be writers block....needing to add some more variety....

would you recommend any audio interface? or even a USB mic...?

Thanks again, just wanting to buy some equipment before I spend my return on anything else!
Definatly do not get a USB powered Mic. Get a audio interface with phantom power. You can pick up a good one with two mic inputs for $100. I would go with Yamaha or M-Audio for the interface.

I use a Steinberg CI1:

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products..._Interface.htm

I would recommend Blu microphones. Either the Spark ($200) or the Blue bird ($300). They spark has focus control which is great for recording guitars and strings. Great mics and sound much better than what they cost. Also come with a custom shockmount and pop filter (which is ok but I add another larger metal one).

Spark:

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products...ones/Spark.htm

Blue Bird

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products...ck_Pop_Box.htm

EDIT: Massive is a great synth if your looking for options. Also sometimes it helps writers block if you try and do some sampling or check out www.looperman.com and use some of those loops or acapellas.

Last edited by northcrunk; 04-03-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:32 PM   #35
Kswiss
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hey thanks again guys! Gonna go browsing at Long and Mcquade...
Old 04-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #36
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kswiss View Post
Hey thanks again guys! Gonna go browsing at Long and Mcquade...
Check out Axe too. Sometimes prices are cheaper at one or the other depending on the item. Axe customer service though is epic and the pro audio guys are great.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:45 AM   #37
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Big time bump!

I've decided I want to get into recording music recently. Been playing guitar forever, but last year I ended up writing a couple songs, and now I've got the bug.

From what I've read, its as simple as a USB audio interface that has phantom power, and an XLR condenser microphone. That part I understand.

But then when it comes to the laptop or software to use, I'm really not sure what to go with.

Wondering what others have used? I dont think I need anything fancy, but would like to add drums maybe, the other instruments and vocals I would record myself.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 11:28 AM   #38
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Big time bump!

I've decided I want to get into recording music recently. Been playing guitar forever, but last year I ended up writing a couple songs, and now I've got the bug.

From what I've read, its as simple as a USB audio interface that has phantom power, and an XLR condenser microphone. That part I understand.

But then when it comes to the laptop or software to use, I'm really not sure what to go with.

Wondering what others have used? I dont think I need anything fancy, but would like to add drums maybe, the other instruments and vocals I would record myself.
Epic bump lol..I have a response in this thread from 2011!

Anyways, if you've got a mac, I recommend you just jump into garageband. Its plenty functional and its free. You'll get used to the recording workflow and there's plenty of in built features to get your mixes sounding good.

I actually recently went back to using garageband more than some of the more feature rich software I had just because it helps me focus on the actual musical ideas and not get lost in learning complicated software.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 11:43 AM   #39
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Epic bump lol..I have a response in this thread from 2011!

Anyways, if you've got a mac, I recommend you just jump into garageband. Its plenty functional and its free. You'll get used to the recording workflow and there's plenty of in built features to get your mixes sounding good.

I actually recently went back to using garageband more than some of the more feature rich software I had just because it helps me focus on the actual musical ideas and not get lost in learning complicated software.
Excellent, thanks for that. Most of the links in this thread dont even exist anymore its so old! Dont have the laptop yet and I dont want to use my work computer. Was leaning towards a Mac so thats perfect! Much appreciated.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 12:32 PM   #40
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Excellent, thanks for that. Most of the links in this thread dont even exist anymore its so old! Dont have the laptop yet and I dont want to use my work computer. Was leaning towards a Mac so thats perfect! Much appreciated.
Not a problem. Are you playing acoustic or electric?
Something else to consider is getting a decent mic, the recordings will only be as good as what they are captured on.

If you want a great jack of all trades mic that you can use for an acoustic guitar or even micing up a guitar amp, you could get something like the Shure SM57.

Then there's always nice recording/condenser mic's which can range from budget friendly to extraordinarily expensive -- sounds like you've been investigating that.

Garageband has a pretty serviceable suite of amp models built in which you could use and record with by just plugging in direct through your interface.

Welcome to the endless (and expensive) rabbit hole of music/recording gear.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post: