Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #3661
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Hello CP,

I am not sure if this is the proper thread to ask this question or not, but do any of you have experience with Edelweiss Air flying Calgary to Zurich??

I am looking at doing a trip to Europe in August and my travel agent gave me a few options including Air Canada Rouge (awful for economy) or Edelweiss.

I will be honest in I have never heard of this airline and I am wondering what anybody's experience is with them?

Thanks!
I don't have any experience with Edelweiss, but I have heard it is fine for a discount carrier and can sometimes be mistaken for SwissAir.

We vacation in Switzerland every other year and we fly into Zurich. As much as the direct flight is convenient, I don't really look forward to long flights (I am 6'3") and will look for other alternatives.

Last year, we flew to Zurich with a stop in Toronto on AC.

Previous to that, we flew to Zurich via Frankfurt. I really don't enjoy the Frankfurt flight. It is always a full flight so that is why we looked into a stop in either Montreal or Toronto for the next trip. The Toronto flight will actually arrive in Zurich in the morning, which makes it more convenient for us to get where we want to be (Lauterbrunnen or Kandersteg) by the afternoon. When we last went via Frankfurt, we arrived in Zurich mid-afternoon and didn't get to Kandersteg until early evening.

Next year we will fly Icelandair and stop in Reykjavik and stay a few days in Iceland before flying to Zurich. Icelandair permits you to stay 6 days (I think) before continuing your trip without any extra costs. IE, they treat it as one fare. Pricing when I last looked was several hundred dollars less than Air Canada.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #3662
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Holy crap, there is a smoking sale on seats to China for $439 right now. Never thought of going until that popped up.

http://www.yycdeals.com
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:32 PM   #3663
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
Holy crap, there is a smoking sale on seats to China for $439 right now. Never thought of going until that popped up.

http://www.yycdeals.com
Too bad it isn't for all of Asia, we were in China a few months ago and don't think we want to go again so soon. Unfortunate that the deal doesn't seem to extend through Asia beyond Beijing (Shanghai had a few cheap ones though), hoping to find cheap flights to Tokyo maybe for next Spring break.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #3664
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Also hoping to find cheap flights to Tokyo, but hopefully after New Years. That's asking for a lot though.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #3665
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can we use the kids Nexus cards for domestic airtravel, or do we still need other government issue id. Nice not to carry the passports around to Toronto.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:08 PM   #3666
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post
Can we use the kids Nexus cards for domestic airtravel, or do we still need other government issue id. Nice not to carry the passports around to Toronto.
Nexus is fine.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 08:39 PM   #3667
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post
nm
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:37 AM   #3668
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So, kind of an odd thing happened with Airbnb that is leaving me a bit uncomfortable. I booked a place for a pretty reasonable price and had it confirmed. I went back later to the listing to show my wife some pictures, and the daily rate is now more than double what it was before, and there are now extra fees for guests and such. I checked the dates, and the price has changed for the dates before and after my booking, so it wasn't some kind of seasonal shift. Is this a red flag that I will probably get my reservation cancelled or attempted to be renegotiated at some point before my trip? It just seems very odd that it happened over the course of the day. I messaged the host as diplomatically as possible and hope to hear a reasonable explanation for it, but still we are at their whim if they decide to change our rate at the last minute.

For perspective, the rates went from $156 CDN per night with no extra guest fees, to $284 CDN and a fee of $78 per extra guest so $440 in total per night, which is totally out of the question. Even though it is a very nice apartment.

Thoughts?
We have never had to cancel on anyone so reading the replies its good to know about the cancellation penalty. Airbnb helps owners out alot (except with the ability to have finite pricing) so its good to hear that there are penalties for cancelling.

Did the location have a per guest fee when you first booked? Airbnb doesnt have the option to set certain dates as certain prices (think long weekends, christmas, etc) which is a pain for us as owners.

Airbnb has a surge pricing model for owners if they so choose (similar to uber I assume) so its possible in the area you are going there is limited supply so the price has gone up. We dont have a per guest fee on our home so I dont know if that pricing would be affected by the surge model.

Assuming the owner has alot of good reviews I wouldnt worry. If they dont then there wont be a re-negotiation but there could be a cancellation. From the owners POV that is risky assuming you want to rent the spot out as you are hoping for a late booker.

My guess is its surge pricing and you have nothing to worry about).

As an owner, prying questions not related to the stay or late add-ons within 30 days are what makes airbnb stressful to use.

In 2017 we have had 19 guests, here is the breakdown what our truthful reviews of the guests would have been (airbnb like ebay works alot on ratings so there is an added benefit to both owners and guests to rate well).

We attempt to run the unit as much like a hotel as possible with the exception that we approve all bookers (based on ratings and their pre booking questions).

Entry is key coded so unless there is a problem guests should never have to contact us. We leave a bottle of red wine and some form of pasty as a welcome "gift". We attempt to airbnb-creep them to figure out what they have liked in the past. If we cant find anything we leave muffins from a local bakery that the cleaner leaves purchases and leaves the day of. The quality of the pasty is dependent on the length of stay, amount of pre checkin correspondence etc.

Quebec (2): Both left place clean with no questions. Neither left reviews which is a pain in the ass. We rated one as a 5 and didnt rate the other. We wont leave a review if we arent reviewed.

UK seniors (2): DO NOT RENT TO. Nothing but a pain in the ass, they both complained about the location (not noise but distance to places). All of our guests get a complimentary bottle of red wine, both complained and said they dont like red wine and like wite - WTF. Both complained there is only one bathroom, they complained about the look (not comfort) of the ikea beds. Reviews from both were 3.5 - we also reviewed them as a 3. We will never again rent to UK retired guests.

UK families (1) OK, no correspondence, unit was left in ok condition. Complained about not enough toilet paper.

Germany (3) perfect guests, no correspondence, no complaints. Unit was spotless

Japan (1) some correspondence likely to do ESL, no other issues, unit was clean. They left a thank you letter on the counter in broken english with japanese translation - really enjoyed the chocolate croissants.

USA (5) no correspondence, all very thankful for pastries and wine as welcome gifts. Unit left in average condition. All guests left food and dry goods.

Belgium/netherlands (3) - no issues

Ontario (1) older couple with 6 ratings booked for 4 days in the middle of 2 other guests. 3 weeks prior to the stay they requested their son and his fiance as well as their daughter join them. We should have said no but they could have just come anyway so we said yes for an additional $50 cleaning fee. 2 days prior to departure they asked to stay for an additional 3 days. We couldnt has we had a German family arriving the day they left. Place was left dirty. All hand towels were dirty with mascara. Place was not left clean so some of the deposit was not returned. There was noticeable damage to our garage as it looks like they attempted to enter (we lock off the basement and garage (3 story home)) so a repair amount was deducted from the damage deposit.

Maintoba (1) guest with only 1 review, very friendly but either not technology smart or just not smart. Booked for 4 days for a wedding. Then we get a second booking from them for a week on October before they have even stayed for the wedding. Strange but maybe they want to vacation in October. 2 weeks later the wedding booking is cancelled with only the October remaining. Then the October one is cancelled and the wedding one then attempted to re-book. We finally had enough of this bs and had her call us before we approved the booking to figure out wtf is wrong with this lady. She obviously is new to the whole "internet" thing and wasnt sure what she was doing. Once they came and left the place was left clean with no issues.

Last edited by temple5; 07-24-2017 at 10:13 AM.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:34 AM   #3669
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Budget carrier Frontier Airlines adding a YYC-DEN route in the spring: http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/cheap...ghts-1.3524985
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:07 PM   #3670
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Budget carrier Frontier Airlines adding a YYC-DEN route in the spring: http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/cheap...ghts-1.3524985

Related to this, WestJet has just added non-stop Calgary - Denver flights for March, April, May, and June 2018 travel.

Their introductory prices are $245 CAD roundtrip including taxes.

Google Flights search:

https://www.google.ca/flights/?gl=ca...2018-03-20;s=0

You can book them for $222 CAD roundtrip through Priceline.

http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-denve...ncluding-taxes

-

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 07:08 AM   #3671
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

^ Cool. Looks like about $288 to knock the Avalanche and Pepsi Centre off my list.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #3672
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am travelling to New York City (from Calgary) the first week of May for a conference. What would be a good price? Right now I'm getting around $750 for non-stop flights on WestJet, Air Canada, and United. If I buy the WestJet flight through American, it's only $600.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #3673
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey guys, got a quick question:

Were thinking of heading over to Greece in September next year. And then heading over to Germany for Oktoberfest.

Whats the best way to book flights for a trip like this? One way to Greece, one way to Germany, then one way home? Or some sort of package type of flight?

I've never flown over the ocean so I am unaware haha.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:25 AM   #3674
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Hey guys, got a quick question:

Were thinking of heading over to Greece in September next year. And then heading over to Germany for Oktoberfest.

Whats the best way to book flights for a trip like this? One way to Greece, one way to Germany, then one way home? Or some sort of package type of flight?

I've never flown over the ocean so I am unaware haha.
My advise is to book your trans-Atlantic flight on its own as that'll be the most expensive one. Then you can book inter-Europe flights - they're generally pretty cheap. If you book for example Air Canada or Lufthansa with tickets all the way through to Greece & back as a package, it'll cost you a lot more than it would to just book a flight from Frankfurt (or wherever you fly into) to where you're going using Easyjet, Ryanair, etc.

Also, like I said - inter-Europe flights are relatively cheap compared to Canada, so shop around on the cities you can fly into from YYC - London, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, etc. Chances are that if you fly into one of those cities it will cost you about the same to fly to Greece, but you may save a lot of money on the trans-Atlantic flight. My go-to is KLM in & out of Amsterdam everytime I fly to Europe, it costs ~$1,100 round trip from Calgary and it's a direct flight. Schipol Airport is a pretty main hub so it's easy to fly anywhere in Europe from there and most of the budget airlines operate there as well.

Last edited by Nyah; 09-28-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #3675
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

FYI: Oktoberfest is in September.

KLM would be my choice. Certainly not Air Canada, unless you enjoy misery. The only thing with KLM is they charge over double for one way, so you really have to fly in and out of Amsterdam. We just flew British Airways to London and travelled through Europe to Dusseldorf, then did a short flight to London and back home. I would highly recommend doing the long leg direct from Calgary to Europe, and doing the short leg there, as opposed to flying to Toronto or Montreal, then to your final destination. Stick with one airline if you can, so if there are delays it is on the same itinerary and you are covered for re-booking if you plan on doing it in the same day.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #3676
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
FYI: Oktoberfest is in September.

KLM would be my choice. Certainly not Air Canada, unless you enjoy misery. The only thing with KLM is they charge over double for one way, so you really have to fly in and out of Amsterdam. We just flew British Airways to London and travelled through Europe to Dusseldorf, then did a short flight to London and back home. I would highly recommend doing the long leg direct from Calgary to Europe, and doing the short leg there, as opposed to flying to Toronto or Montreal, then to your final destination. Stick with one airline if you can, so if there are delays it is on the same itinerary and you are covered for re-booking if you plan on doing it in the same day.
Thanks a lot. Yah we are thinking the first 2-3 weeks of September in Greece then onto Germany for a week or so then home.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #3677
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'm planning for Oktoberfest in Germany next year as well... perhaps the cheapest way to get there is find the cheapest flight to Europe and then hop on a discount carrier to wherever once there?
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:15 AM   #3678
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like a fun trip. I assume you will be going to Munich, so if you want to get out of the city it isn't to far to drive south to the Alps. It's a bit over an hour to Garmisch(an old Olympic town), or you can go farther east to Salzburg which is an awesome city. That whole area is really nice to drive around. Lots of cable cars to the tops of mountains, too.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #3679
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Yeah I'm planning for Oktoberfest in Germany next year as well... perhaps the cheapest way to get there is find the cheapest flight to Europe and then hop on a discount carrier to wherever once there?
Was just sort of looking and I think the cheapest option for me since were doing a few weeks in Greece prior to heading to Munich then heading home from there, is to book a return flight to Munich then book a seperate flight to athens.

~$1100 for return on KLM tp Munich
~$250 for return from athens to munich

This is for a May trip though so pricing could be different. I couldn't get pricing for september.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:56 AM   #3680
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
One of the cheapest flights you can usually get is Calgary to Frankfurt. Frankfurt to Munich is about 3 hours by train.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote