Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2017, 04:56 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon32 Wild trade Tuch for Vegas to select Haula. Wild get conditional pick.

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie
Replying to @TSNBobMcKenzie
In exchange for Haula/prospect, it's believed VGK will lay off exposed Dumba/Scandella/Staal, which means MIN could still trade a D in CHI.

News Update

per Mike Russo:
http://www.startribune.com/wild-s-er...end/429898333/

Quote:
Erik Haula is Vegas-bound, as well as a prized Wild prospect.

Haula, a speedy former University of Minnesota center, will not only become the one Wild player lost to the expansion Vegas Golden Knights during tonight’s NHL Awards Show and expansion announcement, he’ll become the first – or one of the first – free-agent signings in Golden Knights history, multiple NHL sources say.

Haula, who would have become a restricted free agent July 1, agreed to a multi-year deal with the Golden Knights during their exclusive free-agency window that ended at 7 a.m. Pacific time this morning. That was also the deadline for Vegas to submit its initial 30-player roster to the NHL and sign and submit unprotected free agents.

In exchange for the Golden Knights choosing Haula in expansion and steering clear of, among others, defensemen Matt Dumba and Marco Scandella and center Eric Staal, the Wild has agreed to trade prospect Alex Tuch and a conditional future draft pick to Vegas, sources say.

When I get the complicated details of the pick later today, I’ll report them

Last edited by sureLoss; 06-21-2017 at 08:13 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 06:08 AM   #2
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Better be a hell of a prospect
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 06:09 AM   #3
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Makes sense, Vegas needs Centers and he's 26 coming off a 15 goal season.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:16 AM   #4
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It must be Eriksson Ek
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:22 AM   #5
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haula always seemed to play well against us. Seems like Vegas is gonna have quite a haula of picks and prospects
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:01 AM   #6
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Haula always seemed to play well against us. Seems like Vegas is gonna have quite a haula of picks and prospects
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:18 AM   #7
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

is it just me or do trades like this make a mockery of these protected lists. Trading guys so vegas won't take other guys.....
Old 06-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #8
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
is it just me or do trades like this make a mockery of these protected lists. Trading guys so vegas won't take other guys.....
Yeah it's pretty stupid IMO. Vegas doesn't have a roster so I feel they shouldn't be allowed to make trades until they have one in place. The NHL is becoming more CFL by the year with the Richards and Hossa salary cap circumventions and an expansion draft that's more wheeling and dealing than a true draft.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:41 AM   #9
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So do the deals happen before the picks happen or how can these trades be conditional?

Basically are these agreements standard NHL trades that are 100% binding?

Like can McPhee take the haul of picks/prospects, and then take Dumba/Vatanen anyways?
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #10
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Not really sure I understand this thinking. Pretty obvious there was going to be a ton of trades. It isn't making a mockery of anything but your expectations
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #11
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, it isn't a mockery of anything, Vegas is free to wheel and deal as it sees fit. I could see the NHL being a little miffed, however, if the Vegas team foregoes too much talent now. The rules were set up so they would be reasonably competitive this year. Not sure how competitive they will be with these deals.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:55 AM   #12
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah it's pretty stupid IMO. Vegas doesn't have a roster so I feel they shouldn't be allowed to make trades until they have one in place. The NHL is becoming more CFL by the year with the Richards and Hossa salary cap circumventions and an expansion draft that's more wheeling and dealing than a true draft.
The alternative is that Vegas just selects Dumba and then immediately trades him back to Minnesota for the same haul after the expansion draft. There's no way for the NHL to get around this so they've done the only smart thing and embraced it so everything is above board and there are official trades and not just handshake deals.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:55 AM   #13
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the prospect isn't Erikson Ek or Tuch this hardly seems worth it

Last edited by DropIt; 06-21-2017 at 09:12 AM.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:58 AM   #14
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
If the prospect isn't Erikson Ek or Tuchman this hardly seems worth it
Button has Kaprizov, Kunin, and Greenway as top prospects as well

http://www.tsn.ca/test1-1.677389
Old 06-21-2017, 08:03 AM   #15
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Yeah, it isn't a mockery of anything, Vegas is free to wheel and deal as it sees fit. I could see the NHL being a little miffed, however, if the Vegas team foregoes too much talent now. The rules were set up so they would be reasonably competitive this year. Not sure how competitive they will be with these deals.
Obviously Vegas is doing what they thing is best for them, based on short term and long term goals.

If they are lest competitive because of these deals in the short term, it should strengthen them to be more competitive in the long term.

treat them like a rebuilding team.

The NHL devised the expansion drafting rules to give them better rosters to wheel and deal as they see fit.

If Vegas wants to sacrifice a bit of now competitiveness, is that any different than what Vancouver is doing (or at least what they should be doing), or what Calgary or many others recently did?
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #16
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Obviously Vegas is doing what they thing is best for them, based on short term and long term goals.

If they are lest competitive because of these deals in the short term, it should strengthen them to be more competitive in the long term.

treat them like a rebuilding team.

The NHL devised the expansion drafting rules to give them better rosters to wheel and deal as they see fit.

If Vegas wants to sacrifice a bit of now competitiveness, is that any different than what Vancouver is doing (or at least what they should be doing), or what Calgary or many others recently did?
I agree, they can do what ever they want. I am just saying that the NHL provided the means to Vegas to field a reasonably competitive team, which is a good thing. If they rebuild before they build, it might miff some at the NHL office, because I don't think they want a crappy expansion team like the Sens were. Hopefully Vegas will strike a good balance (and take Brouwer, for immediate veteran presences)
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #17
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
So do the deals happen before the picks happen or how can these trades be conditional?

Basically are these agreements standard NHL trades that are 100% binding?

Like can McPhee take the haul of picks/prospects, and then take Dumba/Vatanen anyways?
The trades aren't completed until after the draft is over. He can either take the trade or select the players
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:10 AM   #18
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eric Staal would be the perfect #1C for Vegas for a couple years. Oh well, I'm sure McPhee has planned more of this out than me.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #19
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I agree, they can do what ever they want. I am just saying that the NHL provided the means to Vegas to field a reasonably competitive team, which is a good thing. If they rebuild before they build, it might miff some at the NHL office, because I don't think they want a crappy expansion team like the Sens were. Hopefully Vegas will strike a good balance (and take Brouwer, for immediate veteran presences)
IMO, Vegas would be crazy to take Brouwer/Stajan in the expansion draft.

Since his contract gives him negative value, they've be better taking a Kulak, then contacting Calgary and say they will trade for Brouwer/Stajan if Calgary gives them a draft pick etc.

Vegas will take on some negative value contracts, but there is a price attached to that.

For some contracts, that price will be high.

I expect the cost for Brouwer and Stajan would be less, as they are useful players, just overpaid.

The trades I'm hearing as rumours aren't hurting Vegas a ton right now. If I was them, I would be willing to forgo something now for something later.

They have a one time opportunity to get a bunch of drafts picks as teams try to be cap compliant. They shouldn't punt that simply to win a few extra meaningless games this year.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:20 AM   #20
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wth? Why wouldn't you just take dumba?
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote