Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #121
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy27 View Post
Not much of a story. Jesse Vargas claimed he heard that McGregor had been knocked out in sparring. He said the boxing world is a small community which is why he knew. Mayweather said he is skeptical of that story. Take it for what it's worth. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. I guess only a select few know that truth.
I wouldn't be shocked in some ways. I don't think Connor is that good. He didn't look good in the first fight against Diaz and frankly Diaz can't hold a candle to Mayweather. It's $100 on PPV to watch Mayweather outbox him and win on points in a walk. They both make a pile of cash and fans are disappointed.

The only hope for fans and Connor is the punchers chance, and I can't see paying $100 for that. Of course I will watch on some lagging stream, but that's it.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #122
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't know you could buy tickets at Costco. But I guess this kinda shows they really are struggling to sell tickets to this thing and it's less than three weeks out now.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:53 PM   #123
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding tickets, White said in the presser around the press conferences that rules changed for tickets from most big events in the UFC and boxing.

Even he has to buy his own. No longer are large blocks given to the UFC or Mayweather or sponsors or whatever, presumably a) to prevent free tickets being given to sponsors, so that the fighters get the true gate reciept. Also keeps brokers from snatching some of those comp tickets up from their sources and then profiting instead of the fighters.

Same reason Ticketmaster goes through verification and limits purchase to two.

So, tough to accurately gauge this vs other big fighting events where large blocks of comp tickets are instantly alloted to various parties after ticket release.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:02 PM   #124
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Regarding tickets, White said in the presser around the press conferences that rules changed for tickets from most big events in the UFC and boxing.

Even he has to buy his own. No longer are large blocks given to the UFC or Mayweather or sponsors or whatever, presumably a) to prevent free tickets being given to sponsors, so that the fighters get the true gate reciept. Also keeps brokers from snatching some of those comp tickets up from their sources and then profiting instead of the fighters.

Same reason Ticketmaster goes through verification and limits purchase to two.

So, tough to accurately gauge this vs other big fighting events where large blocks of comp tickets are instantly alloted to various parties after ticket release.
I can't argue against White telling the truth or not without any research, but do we honestly think he's being fully truthful that they have to buy a ticket to their own event? Do they have to do it through Ticketmaster?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 10:25 PM   #125
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I can't argue against White telling the truth or not without any research, but do we honestly think he's being fully truthful that they have to buy a ticket to their own event? Do they have to do it through Ticketmaster?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-fight-tickets
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #126
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
I read it, but didn't understand why he had to do it. His explanation didn't make sense to me.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:30 AM   #127
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it was mostly a PR stunt to show "see, we're paying prices only a moron would pay, you should too!". It's pretty well known within the boxing community that Floyd's people control the tickets, and they are selling them mostly through brokers and resale sites. And obviously those are moving very slowly, hence why they are now on Costco. But the surest sign this thing is badly struggling is Floyd praising Conor earlier this week, saying Conor should be a slight favorite and saying that he (Floyd) has lost a step. Floyd never says things like that, even in the last fight against Berto when ticket sales and PPV numbers were tracking poorly he didn't say anything like that. This is his retirement/IRS payback cheque, and early returns are not very promising.

I still can't see this doing less than 2.5 million buys on PPV, but even that would be a big disappointment considering they were expecting to break 4.4 million. But if you're going to be in Vegas for the fight, I'm sure you'll be able to get tickets far below face value in the days leading up to the fight as Floyd's people look to unload their tickets and at least get something and avoid the humiliation of scores of empty seats. Sucks for anyone who rushed to pay face value on the $1,500+ seats, already on StubHub some of the more expensive seats are coming in under face value.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #128
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

After seeing the public workout for Connor yesterday, or at least a clip or two, this looks so bad. That cannot be helping tickets sell. Combine that with the rumours of him getting KO'd by training partners and this looks like a dud. I know a lot of people will watch it, but I don't think I know anyone planning to actually pay to watch it.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #129
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
After seeing the public workout for Connor yesterday, or at least a clip or two, this looks so bad. That cannot be helping tickets sell. Combine that with the rumours of him getting KO'd by training partners and this looks like a dud. I know a lot of people will watch it, but I don't think I know anyone planning to actually pay to watch it.
The timing of this KO was during the press tour and pretty much has been debunked but it doesn't stop it from being trown around like it's true
Old 08-12-2017, 09:24 AM   #130
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post
The timing of this KO was during the press tour and pretty much has been debunked but it doesn't stop it from being trown around like it's true
Probably because we all know he can't box and saw him get rocked by Diaz.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:31 AM   #131
sasha
Draft Pick

Although this is just a circus and we all know this is an easy $1xx million payday for Mayweather, i am still interested in watching. Go figure.
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #132
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'll wait until it eventually comes out for free on the fight channel.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #133
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why wait? Just watch it online. Mayweather will dip and not throw anything the first round, just gassing McGregor, then the second half of the 1st round when McGregor slows down, Mayweather will let him have it (against his recent nature of going offence). By mid third round this will be over, and it should be over without Mayweather really breaking a sweat. Wouldn't also surprise me if McGregor does something really stupid like an MMA move when he realizes he's going down.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 11:22 AM   #134
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Macgregor might have a chance since Mayweather has been dealt a HUGE personal issue. Thoughts and prayers.

https://sports.yahoo.com/floyd-maywe...194629405.html
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #135
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:49 AM   #136
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha View Post
Although this is just a circus and we all know this is an easy $1xx million payday for Mayweather, i am still interested in watching. Go figure.
Exactly....I know that this is not a boxing match. It is a circus side show but who doesn't like to see the circus once in a while. The local pub in Royal Oak is showing it so I'm going to go watch it. I mean....I would have probably been in the pub anyway on Saturday night.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:46 PM   #137
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently 95% of all bet slips on this are for Conor, but of course all of the money is on Floyd (something like 81%). Probably be a couple seven or eight figure bets on Floyd in the closing days as this line bottoms out. Just goes to show how Vegas lines have nothing to do with perception of who will win, just what will drive the money. That said if the miracle does happen the books might take their worst loss ever.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #138
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Final press conference on now on TSN. It sounds like there is 50 people in attendance..
Old 08-24-2017, 09:32 AM   #139
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much of a joke is this fight going to be? Mayweather at his strip club every night untl 5am, including this Friday night. I can totally see him pretending to be hurt or getting knocked down to entertain the crowd though.

https://sports.yahoo.com/floyd-maywe...142412102.html
Old 08-25-2017, 05:54 AM   #140
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So just letting TAO know since I think he's in Vegas for the fight, but ticket prices are being slashed huge right now to move to rumoured 7,000 tickets still remaining to the event. Tickets with $5,000 face going for $1,500 or less, so lots of bartering to be done and you might get a real steal of a deal.