Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #41
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Right now really might be the greatest era of talent the NBA has ever seen. Just an amazing time to be a fan. Last night alone we had:

- The first time ever two guys dropped 40 on opening night (DeMar and the Brow)
- First teammates to drop 40+ and 30+ on opening night (DeMar and JV)
- Harden had 34 points and 17 assists
- Embiid had 20 points in 22 minutes (and fans chanted "Trust the process!")
- Myles Turner dropped 30 and 16 with 4 blocks

And that doesn't even include big nights from Westbrook, Giannis and Vince Carter at 39 locking down Wiggins in the 4th quarter to help Memphis win.

That doesn't even account for Leonard dropping 35 in 32 minutes the other night.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #42
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or having LeBron, and the Warriors, and Towns and Wiggins, or Lillard dropping 39 on opening night. NBA is as well positioned as it has ever been and it sounds like they're close to locking down a new CBA so no lockout or strike potential for a while too.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:08 PM   #43
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just curious what others opinions are of a possible return of Carter to the Raptors. It's not a rumor anywhere, but at this stage of his career where he's actually aged well and is a serviceable vet, IF the Raps were to have interest, would it be a good idea to pursue, or leave him as a distant memory? While I wasn't a fan of it before, he still has natural talent, isn't ego driven, can take a step back, but seems to be a good guy to have off the bench. I'd like to see it.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:11 AM   #44
kmart
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Just curious what others opinions are of a possible return of Carter to the Raptors. It's not a rumor anywhere, but at this stage of his career where he's actually aged well and is a serviceable vet, IF the Raps were to have interest, would it be a good idea to pursue, or leave him as a distant memory? While I wasn't a fan of it before, he still has natural talent, isn't ego driven, can take a step back, but seems to be a good guy to have off the bench. I'd like to see it.
No room for him. The wing depth is a strong area for the Raps.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #45
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone caught a game in Orlando? We're thinking of going to the Raptors/Magic tilt in December while we are down in Florida.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #46
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Has anyone caught a game in Orlando? We're thinking of going to the Raptors/Magic tilt in December while we are down in Florida.
I did when I was about 12. Shaq still played for them. It was a real dump back then, but I think they opened a new stadium a few years ago and I would imagine it is state of the art now.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:08 AM   #47
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went to a Raptors - Magic game when we were in Orlando last November.

Grabbed some really good tickets for cheap on Stubhub the day before the game and had a blast.

Really nice arena. Wasn't close to being sold out but don't think they are drawing a ton of people with the teams struggles the last few years.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:21 PM   #48
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

JV with 15 rebounds so Casey platoons him on the bench to make sure he's ice cold.

Commentators were wondering aloud if JV was in fact hurt because he was on the bench for so long.

Casey is a fricken moron
Old 10-28-2016, 09:59 PM   #49
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russell Westbrook had 51 points and a triple-double
It was the first 50-point triple-double since Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had one in 1975.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2016, 02:13 AM   #50
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Saw a few games in Orlando 4 years ago (maybe 3?). It's a nice arena, not the most exciting team to watch, but its worth going for the arena alone.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #51
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
JV with 15 rebounds so Casey platoons him on the bench to make sure he's ice cold.

Commentators were wondering aloud if JV was in fact hurt because he was on the bench for so long.

Casey is a fricken moron
At the same time, 66 minutes in two games is a big increase for JV given his past workload (he only had 66 minutes or more over two consecutive games twice last season, and one of those was in the playoffs and he got injured the next game). I'd rather not risk overworking him early in the season. That said, his minutes could have been better distributed last night... take him out a little earlier in the first and bring him back earlier in the 4th. Hopefully Poeltl's good fourth-quarter shift last night will help Casey have a little more confidence about giving the rookie a little more run in the second quarter.

Last edited by octothorp; 10-29-2016 at 11:54 AM.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:24 AM   #52
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Westbrook seems to be in full "Screw Durant" mode.

Through 3 games he is averaging 38 points, 11.7 assists, and 12.3 rebounds per game.

Will be interesting to see if he could get anywhere close to a triple double for the season.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:33 AM   #53
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh absolutely, when Durant was out most of the of the 2014-15 season, Westbrook averaged pretty close to a triple double in the games without Durant. Now you're going to have to take a lower than average FG% and probably 6+ turnovers a game with Westbrook, but he's definitely going to make a run at a triple double for the whole season.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:58 PM   #54
Flames4LifeFLA
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Tons. Magic season-ticket holder here. We've had seats since their founding in 1989. The new arena is very, very nice.
Flames4LifeFLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:04 PM   #55
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well that was a classic Raptors performance. Get the big lead and promptly come out in the 3rd and blow it. In fact lose the lead altogether and then scramble back in UGLY fashion for a win.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:16 AM   #56
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

DeMar has started the season with three straight 30 point games (first Raptor ever to do it), without making a single three pointer. I'm still deciding if that's a good thing or a bad thing. What I can say is if he ever developed a three point shot, he could be one of the top 5-10 players in the league.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:44 PM   #57
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
DeMar has started the season with three straight 30 point games (first Raptor ever to do it), without making a single three pointer. I'm still deciding if that's a good thing or a bad thing. What I can say is if he ever developed a three point shot, he could be one of the top 5-10 players in the league.
Well short term it's a good thing cause they wouldn't be winning games without him scoring. Because they are getting very little from Ross, Patterson and Lowry has been sporadic. JV is alright. Rooks giving them not much on offense.

The offense is not looking too good at the moment. Defense has been good and it's here the rooks have played pretty well. Sure they make some goofy mistakes but they also make hustle plays and JP has good positioning.

Carroll isn't doing anything much on offense either and said like four days ago in some interview that he is feeling like 90%. Still isn't healthy.

I don't the offense gets sorted till ultimately Sullinger is back and in the meantime till Ross and Patterson start hitting some shots.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #58
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

DD is on fire this early season. 4 games in a row with 30+ pts. Dang near beat the Wizards on his own. They did hit a few 3's in this game. Heck even DD hit one. He had those other 30+ games without a single three pointer.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:07 AM   #59
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice company...

Old 11-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #60
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Westbrooks going off for 50 and a triple double on the Warriors tonight.....

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competitive disparity , in masai we trust , minny is further north , nat'l blowout association , nba 2k17 is the bomb , swept away , yawnba