Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #41
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Yankees, Vikings, Giants could all be deemed offensive if you are American, Norweigan or obese. Cleveland Browns to.
The Giants one is a massive stretch and Yankees could only be offensive if you were from the Northeastern states because that is what a Yankee is and that is how the team got the name because they are from a Northeaster state and nobody wanted to call them Highlanders. Browns could be offensive, but I am going to guess not for reasons that you think it is.
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #42
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Man people get offended easily...
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #43
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin' DBag View Post
Not entirely sure you're correct there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Blackhawks

Basically, it say's the Blackhawks were named after a military unit in WWI which was named after Chief Black Hawk not the war he was involved in.
The reason anyone knows Chief Black Hawk is because of the war he was involved in.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #44
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Can you provide a link with a study to show that aboriginal people think these names are offensive?

I will provide a link where a study proved that aboriginals did not think that they are offensive.

http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/Downloads/Political_Communication/naes/2004_03_redskins_09-24_pr.pdf
That study is almost a decade old.
I don't know if something more recent - but there is enough anecdotal evidenced coupled with COMMON SENSE that the name should be changed.

Frankly if even 9% of aboriginals (as noted in the study you cite) find it offensive - that's enough for me.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #45
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
So what about the Chiefs then? Is it ok because their logo is an arrowhead? What does an arrowhead have to do with honor and respect?
At this point, you're being facetious to mask your absolute lack of a point

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
IIRC, the word Eskimo is derived from "raw meat eater" and is considered derogatory by some.
Gotcha. In that case, if there is a case made for it... then I absolutely support a name change. Considering it's not widely (at least I didn't know) accepted as derogatory... I can't see it being a pertinent issue.

The Redskins however, needs immediate change. It's so blatantly offensive it's laughable.

Blackhawks, being heralded as one of the best logos in sports history will be much tougher and like the Eskimos isn't widely understood to be offensive. So I see that having a very little chance to be changed.

Indians, as I mentioned earlier is something I've constantly heard being a term corrected to 'Native Americans'. Doubt it's changed due to it being tough to categorize as offensive so much as it's insensitive.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #46
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The Blackhawks were named after Frederic McLaughlin's WWI regiment. The Regiment itself, primarally from Illinois, was named after Chief Black Hawk.

So no, the Chicago Blackhawks were not named to "honour times when [natives] were slaughtered". Though the regiment's name may or may not have been. Not saying that this makes the name alright, only that you are being deceptive in how you present the formation of the team's identity.
They should use a pic of the regiment then as their symbol, why have a very similar image to Chief Blackhawk as the symbol. But you are right, it was named after the regiment, which was named after a chief whose people were slaughtered in a war and then was paraded around like a circus animal.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #47
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Well thank goodness your focused on the important things.
Aw c'mon. Now you're just baiting me!
I'm one of those that does not have a problem with it, and feel there are other things we can worry about, as opposed to team names. Like when Jarome will score, Kipper will be back, and we will start winning...
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #48
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Man people get offended easily...
I know, just change the names. The fact that people get offended that the Blackhawks may be called something else or the Redskins may be called something else blows my mind as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EddyBeers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #49
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Good let that be the test then.
Aboriginal people ARE offended by names such as the Redskins - therefore do away with them.
or they should stop being so oversensitive.

Why are these names suddenly an issue now? No one complained of the names 50 years ago.

This is just yet another sign of the wussification of our society. if it could possible be taken in a negative context you have to change it!

#### this PC Bull####, its to the point where its pathetic.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #50
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I see this logo, I don't see tragedy:

Is it stereotypical? Probably. But I also see strength and dignity and pride, not a caricature.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #51
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post

Why are these names suddenly an issue now? No one complained of the names 50 years ago.

This is just yet another sign of the wussification of our society. if it could possible be taken in a negative context you have to change it!

This isn't a serious topic... it's a sports team. Why does there NEED to be an acceptance of a population so you can name your team whatever the hell you like.

Your argument is that I can create a team, name them the Yellowskins, or Wops, or Chinks, Blackskins, etc and then tell whoever I just offended to suck it and grow up.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #52
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

50 years ago, we still had segregated water fountains. The acknowledgment and awareness of racism was completely different than it is today.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #53
Flamin' DBag
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyBeers View Post
The reason anyone knows Chief Black Hawk is because of the war he was involved in.
Absolutely. I just think it's stretching the truth to think that the Blackhawks were named that in order to remind everyone of a group of people you're proud of slaughtering.

Is there an chance they named it that because Chief Black Hawk was a strong native leader, and historical figure in Illinois?
Flamin' DBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #54
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

haha, this post made me laugh out loud.

The fact that the anyone opposes the name change is just another sign of the wussification of our society. Before men would actually go out and fight in wars, hunt for their own food, explore new lands, but now all they can do is sit at home and watch 20 somethings fight it out on an athletic battlefield and complain if the name of their team is changed.
The Following User Says Thank You to EddyBeers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #55
clancy
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

A lot has changed in 50 years. Black people dont have to ride in the back of the bus.
I do agree that most of these are people being overly sensitive( i.e will the Flames have to change their name because it offends gay people, who prefer to be call Flamers), although Redskins is clearly over the line. Just substitute the letters "red" with "black" and ask yourself if it would be appropriate.
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #56
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
At this point, you're being facetious to mask your absolute lack of a point.
Well, I cant speak for the poster you're quoting, but I'm interested in where the line is drawn. Is it for all names based on or in reference to Natives/Indians/Aboriginals/First Nations? Or just ones that are tied to negative connotations/perceptions? Genetic references v. specific tribes?
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #57
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
When I see this logo, I don't see tragedy:

Is it stereotypical? Probably. But I also see strength and dignity and pride, not a caricature.
There's nothing offensive about the logo, it's the name and the symbolism.

Would it be ok if I just sparked up a team and called them the Hutu? The Bolshevik?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #58
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
This isn't a serious topic... it's a sports team. Why does there NEED to be an acceptance of a population so you can name your team whatever the hell you like.

Your argument is that I can create a team, name them the Yellowskins, or Wops, or Chinks, Blackskins, etc and then tell whoever I just offended to suck it and grow up.
My points is most of these team names are probably at least 50 years old, some closer to 100. It was not a problem in the part so why worry about it now? They want someone to re-brand something that has been alive longer than most of the people complaining, you don't find that a little ridiculous?

Hey I'm offended, so you need to spend millions and millions of dollars to change something that has been around 70+ years.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #59
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:

50 years ago if you were black in the U.S. you weren't allowed to vote.

Times have changed.

For the better.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #60
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

St. John's University changed from Redmen to Red Storm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John%27s_Red_Storm

McGill still uses the name Redmen , but there the name seems connected only to the color of the uniform (or Celtic influence):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGill_Redmen

The Curse of Chief Wahoo: Enabling Racist Imagery

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/t...acist-imagery/

Last edited by troutman; 02-13-2013 at 01:44 PM.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote