Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-16-2017, 04:45 PM   #81
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cannot believe, nor do I want to see, a world cup match played on plastic grass.
I live in Vancouver but it would be a travesty, it was for the women's game frankly.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:03 PM   #82
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
McMahon would be an excellent choice, certainly in comparison to what we have seen before. Some if the stadia in Brazil and SA where not in the best of shape. It all depends on soccer politics.
Sorry but McMahon is an absolute garbage experience not just for soccer, but for any sport there. I take it you have not been to a soccer game abroad in a world class soccer stadium. McMahon is old, outdated and, barring a massive renovation, would be a national embarrassment to show to the world in 2017, particularly the soccer community. Calgary probably got shortlisted for reasons other than McMahon. In fact, it's almost likely.

I would dearly hope that Calgary has a new stadium in place by 2026.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:45 AM   #83
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
But yes, agreed. I think it's a placeholder that CESG wants in there. If the City decides to go ahead with the Olympic bid, a new stadium, or a full refurbishment of McMahon will have to be part of that for Opening/Closing ceremonies. Calgary would then have a stadium that would rival BC Place as the best in Canada, and thus get the WC games.
There won't be a new stadium as part of the Olympic bid. At this point, if Calgary bids, the most likely location for the ceremonies is the Stampede Grandstand. I'm sure if something got built, they'd consider using it, but it's not part of the proposal right now.

For the World Cup, cities who want to be considered for the bid need to declare their interest by September 5. Then, a shortlist will be made by the end of September. From there, the shortlisted cities need to submit their proposals in early January. The final list of stadiums will be submitted to FIFA in mid-March.

Considering it's been two years since the CalgaryNext idea was first presented, and we're not any closer to getting a new stadium, I can't see there being something announced in the next six months that will blow away the bid committee. I don't think saying "we'll probably build something really nice in the next 9 years" will be enough to get Calgary on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Wasn't their a proposed schedule earlier? And in it Canada only got a few games in each of Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal

No further than a group stage either IIRC
There was this speculation from ESPN: http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/...anada-as-hosts

Not really a proposed schedule, just speculation about how it could be set up. It probably is close to what we'll see in Canada: One city hosts 3 games, all in the group round; one city hosts 2 in the group round and 1 in the round of 32; and one city hosts 2 in the group round, 1 in the round of 32, and 1 in the round of 16.

Calgary's best bet is likely to be a basecamp for one of the teams playing in Vancouver for the group round.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:13 AM   #84
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Sorry but McMahon is an absolute garbage experience not just for soccer, but for any sport there. I take it you have not been to a soccer game abroad in a world class soccer stadium. McMahon is old, outdated and, barring a massive renovation, would be a national embarrassment to show to the world in 2017, particularly the soccer community. Calgary probably got shortlisted for reasons other than McMahon. In fact, it's almost likely.

I would dearly hope that Calgary has a new stadium in place by 2026.
We are talking about an event 9 years away, a lot can happen in the mean time. No need to spin my response into another new stadium debate. Upgrades to Macmahon would be fine in comparison to what I have seen in person for comparable events like the WC and Olympic finals. Sure it won't be the new Wembley, but it's a valid pick with plenty of time to prepare.

Did you have to pull out "world class" again? Real Madrid does not play here, they only require something that is adaquate in terms of the rules and the requirements at the time.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #85
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
We are talking about an event 9 years away, a lot can happen in the mean time. No need to spin my response into another new stadium debate. Upgrades to Macmahon would be fine in comparison to what I have seen in person for comparable events like the WC and Olympic finals. Sure it won't be the new Wembley, but it's a valid pick with plenty of time to prepare.
While I would actually like to see McMahon's lifespan extended, the "upgrades" required would be categorized as a complete refurbishment involving a partial redesign. It could be done but it would extensive and expensive.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #86
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Forty-one cities across Canada, Mexico and the United States have submitted bids to serve as Official Host Cities in the United Bid for the 2026 FIFA World Cup™. The United Bid Committee will review all bid submissions and release an initial shortlist of cities later this fall.
Quote:
Metropolitan Market Stadium Capacity Canada (6 cities)

Edmonton, Alberta Commonwealth Stadium 56,335
Montréal, Québec Stade Olympique 61,004
Ottawa, Ontario TD Place Stadium 24,341
Regina, Saskatchewan Mosaic Stadium 30,048
Toronto, Ontario BMO Field 28,026
Vancouver, British Columbia BC Place 55,165
http://www.canadasoccer.com/41-citie...1135-preview-1
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:31 PM   #87
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it looks like Calgary bowed out. No new stadium. You'd think we could have turned this co-bid into at least one new facility for the whole friggin World Cup?!

I'm concerned with Toronto's ability to host an event when compared to BC Place and Commonwealth's capacity figures.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #88
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
So it looks like Calgary bowed out. No new stadium. You'd think we could have turned this co-bid into at least one new facility for the whole friggin World Cup?!

I'm concerned with Toronto's ability to host an event when compared to BC Place and Commonwealth's capacity figures.
Even if we'd gotten a new stadium I doubt it would have had sufficient capacity or real grass.

I'm a huge soccer fan, but I want no part of a World Cup.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #89
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Even if we'd gotten a new stadium I doubt it would have had sufficient capacity or real grass.

I'm a huge soccer fan, but I want no part of a World Cup.
I think you just need 30k to meeting minimum specs and real grass is not an obstacle I would be overly worried about.

That can, and has been brought into stadiums before on a temporary basis.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #90
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you just need 30k to meeting minimum specs and real grass is not an obstacle I would be overly worried about.

That can, and has been brought into stadiums before on a temporary basis.
Right, but 30K seats and temporary grass and what games are we going to get? Its an absolute guarantee that it wouldnt be worth it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #91
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary isn't a suitable city for the World Cup? I, for one, am completely shocked by that.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:00 PM   #92
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Calgary isn't a suitable city for the World Cup? I, for one, am completely shocked by that.
It has nothing to do with Calgary, sorry you got that impression. Its about the economics and the logistics.

How many games would we likely get? Would they be good games? Are we going to get Equatorial New Guinea vs. American Guam? I'm betting the good games go to Eastern Canada, the US and Mexico.

So the cost of renovating, securing McMahon (or whatever venue) and having real turf installed and everything else for a couple of World Cup games? I cant see it being financially viable.

A 3 host World Cup has never been done before and I dont feel its prudent to splash cash on some corrupt organization's pilot project.

If we had the venue that we were using already that would be one thing, but to bring an ageing facility up to scratch to host a couple of B-Grade World Cup games? I'd probably pass.

This is me disassociating my mind from my heart. I'd love nothing more than the World Cup to be played in Calgary, I just see the realities as less than palatable.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #93
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't build a new stadium JUST for 3 World Cup games.

You use the tremendous cash infusion from the tournament to build a new facility with multi-sport capabilities to last another 50 years.

Anyways, looks like Calgary bowed out, so it doesn't really matter.

I just know that if I'm CSEC, I'm doing my damnedest to get World Cup and Olympic funding to build new facilities that my properties can assume following the festivities for the next generation or so.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #94
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You don't build a new stadium JUST for 3 World Cup games.

You use the tremendous cash infusion from the tournament to build a new facility with multi-sport capabilities to last another 50 years.

Anyways, looks like Calgary bowed out, so it doesn't really matter.

I just know that if I'm CSEC, I'm doing my damnedest to get World Cup and Olympic funding to build new facilities that my properties can assume following the festivities for the next generation or so.
That I'd agree with.

Calgary did exactly that with the 1988 Olympics and its served our City well, the World Cup...not the same thing. Most World Cup infrastructure seems like its purpose-built and goes to waste.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #95
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That I'd agree with.

Calgary did exactly that with the 1988 Olympics and its served our City well, the World Cup...not the same thing. Most World Cup infrastructure seems like its purpose-built and goes to waste.
Except in this case the city could actually use a new outdoor soccer/football stadium - and this would be a potential route to get some federal funding towards the stadium. Plus if we were doing an exploratory Olympic bid then a new stadium that serves the Olympics and World Cup would be great plus helps long term stability of the Stampeders and a potential professional soccer team in Calgary.

It's not like we are building a new stadium in the middle of the jungle with no permanent tenant like they did for the for Brazil world cup.

It would be more in line with Munich building the Allianz Arena instead of renovating their existing Olympic Stadium in advance of the 2006 World Cup.

An enclosed roof stadium with football turf - that would allow for natural grass to be brought in for Soccer - would be amazing in Calgary.

Look at how Tottenham's new stadium is managing their real grass/football turf hybrid.

http://www.espnfc.com/tottenham-hots...for-new-ground

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-07-2017 at 02:27 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #96
leah12
Draft Pick

The committee asked Calgary to submit a bid but they were one of only three cities out of forty-four not to respond. We will not be hosting any matches.

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/...from-41-cities
leah12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:25 PM   #97
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Right, but 30K seats and temporary grass and what games are we going to get? Its an absolute guarantee that it wouldnt be worth it.
I thought it was 40k minimum, which would be way too big to be practical in the future. BMO field can be expanded again and the others wouldn't need much more than cosmetic upgrades. Calgary never made sense to be part of a bid.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:34 PM   #98
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It has nothing to do with Calgary, sorry you got that impression. Its about the economics and the logistics.

How many games would we likely get? Would they be good games? Are we going to get Equatorial New Guinea vs. American Guam? I'm betting the good games go to Eastern Canada, the US and Mexico.

So the cost of renovating, securing McMahon (or whatever venue) and having real turf installed and everything else for a couple of World Cup games? I cant see it being financially viable.

A 3 host World Cup has never been done before and I dont feel its prudent to splash cash on some corrupt organization's pilot project.

If we had the venue that we were using already that would be one thing, but to bring an ageing facility up to scratch to host a couple of B-Grade World Cup games? I'd probably pass.

This is me disassociating my mind from my heart. I'd love nothing more than the World Cup to be played in Calgary, I just see the realities as less than palatable.
I was being sarcastic in my post. The only reason this city should be considered is that there is enough people to shell out big money for big events that would fill the stadium. In every other regard, it fails miserably. No suitable stadium, no pro team, little support for the game outside of the superclubs, no supporters culture, etc. I guess a lot of that isn't really important for World Cup, but Calgary is far behind Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, even Edmonton, in cities that would be suitable for hosting the game's biggest event.

Plus, a new 40000+ stadium would be a white elephant in my opinion. The Stampeders don't command that kind of capacity, and even if the rumoured Canadian Premier League club comes on board in the next few years, they have no use for a stadium of that size. Not only that, but the league model is heavily dependent on providing a good atmosphere via small, modular stadiums like the one being proposed in Halifax. http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...derers-grounds

Last edited by shermanator; 09-07-2017 at 03:56 PM.
shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:55 AM   #99
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I tend to think that we wasted a perfectly good opportunity to be part of a world stage event, but then I rationalize that there is no way we miss out on a bid submission unless it really didn't make sense, and it is very likely the costs involved to host three matches just aren't worth the investment.

However, it just goes to show how woefully behind we are for a major Canadian city to have the facilities to be a major player.

Calgary can't even get a bid together for the Canadian Premier League let alone host a team in NASL or find a decent home field for Calgary Foothills FC, how the heck can we possibly host World Cup events?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:29 AM   #100
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I see this as a firm confirmation that Calgary is serious about hosting the Winter Olympic Games. We may see the much needed McMahon implosion and rebuild through federal funding after all.
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote