Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #81
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Ok, first off calling Backlund the Flames MVP is crazy. He had a great year last season but lets not get crazy here. Gio, Brodie, Hamilton, Gaudreau, and Monahan are more valuable to the franchise right now and Bennett and Tkachuk will be in the near future. Second off 750K in a cap world were you have other pieces to keep and over a 6 year term that is 4.5M. In two years Hamonic and Brodie need new deals. If Bennett is bridged for two years he will as well. The next year Hamilton is up. I would argue those guys are more important to retain than Backlund given Jankowski's progress into what should be a more than competent 3rd line C. So if Backlund wants 6M a year than the most you give him is 3 years and even that would be stretching it. I would say if he wants 6 and he is a must sign than 2 years is ideal. I can't see it, he will want more term. If it all works out that way then trading him while his value is at peak value is really the best option for this team.
Calling Backlund the teams MVP is crazy? Did you watch any of the Flames games last year? Id like to know who you figure was the Flames MVP last season then.

Keeping Backlund on this team is by far the best option for this team. The guy who does EVERYTHING. Plays center, plays PK, PP, gets the hardest shutdown assignments, takes all the defensive draws yet still drives offence.

Third line center? Yeah, no he isn't.

Brad Treliving knows exactly what kind of player Backlund is and the value he brings to this team. He will be re-signed with term. He won't be traded. Guys like him are few and far between in this league. These are guys you win with. Now is the Flames time to win.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 07:08 PM   #82
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't think of a single player I hate more than Kesler, that being said he is significantly better offensively than Backlund and just as good if not better defensively as well. Hate the antics and he is a d-bag but it is what it is.
Kesler is more proven, but their last seasons were absolutely comparable both offensively and defensively. And Backlund didn't get pp time with Getzlaf and Perry.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:39 PM   #83
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bartkowski.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:59 PM   #84
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stajan, deadline day.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #85
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't think of a single player I hate more than Kesler, that being said he is significantly better offensively than Backlund and just as good if not better defensively as well. Hate the antics and he is a d-bag but it is what it is.
Kesler had 5 more points and played way more on the pp. I don't agree with your analysis, though kesler is more agitating than Backlund
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:27 AM   #86
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've said for years that Backlund is like Kesler minus the ######baggery aspect. Last year probably showed him come the closest to that comparison yet. I think he could push past 60 points this year if they give him some more offensive opportunity/PP time.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote