Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2017, 08:42 AM   #621
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Complete side note: regarding the Julian Edelman catch; NFL Network was showing the greatest catches in Super Bowl history the other night. Edelman's catch was nuts, but I'm sorry, there's no way it's crazier than the Tyree catch IMO (the talk in the media this week seems to be "move over Tyree, there's a better one now").

The Edelman catch was insane, but it just doesn't have the same aesthetic, aerial beauty of the Tyree/Santonio Holmes catches. It's just a mess of bodies and somehow Edelman comes up with it. It's definitely a Super Bowl all-timer, but visually I just can't rank that over the ones mentioned above...or even Julio's insane catch earlier if the Falcons had held on to win.

Edelman's catch surpassing Tyree's by many of the media to me is just a case of us over-ranking the new thing fresh in our minds over fading memories. Reverse the order, make the Edelman catch happen in 2007, and the Tyree one happen last weekend, and I bet everyone would be ranking that as the new #1.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #622
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Yeah this. If the QB gets sacked on the first series of the first possession, the game is basically over. They're out of FG range, so the other team will just go out and kick a FG on the first play - or just do 2 junk inside run plays up the middle to line up the spot - since where they start is already in range. Starting somewhere between from your own 40-55 yard line would be ideal.
...unless you're Kyle Shanahan.

NFL playoff overtime should be regular football like it is now, but both teams should have an equivalent number of opportunities to possess the ball (unless there is a pick/fumble-6). i.e. Atlanta should have had a chance to march down the field and tie it up with a touchdown of their own. Or even go for 2 for the win.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #623
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Complete side note: regarding the Julian Edelman catch; NFL Network was showing the greatest catches in Super Bowl history the other night. Edelman's catch was nuts, but I'm sorry, there's no way it's crazier than the Tyree catch IMO (the talk in the media this week seems to be "move over Tyree, there's a better one now").

The Edelman catch was insane, but it just doesn't have the same aesthetic, aerial beauty of the Tyree/Santonio Holmes catches. It's just a mess of bodies and somehow Edelman comes up with it. It's definitely a Super Bowl all-timer, but visually I just can't rank that over the ones mentioned above...or even Julio's insane catch earlier if the Falcons had held on to win.

Edelman's catch surpassing Tyree's by many of the media to me is just a case of us over-ranking the new thing fresh in our minds over fading memories. Reverse the order, make the Edelman catch happen in 2007, and the Tyree one happen last weekend, and I bet everyone would be ranking that as the new #1.
I think they are pretty close, and the reason is that final little juggle - and Edelman's ability to grab it back without touching the ground. That level of concentration makes it just as impressive to me as the Tyree catch. I think they are on par.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #624
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The craziest part is that I actually think in terms of it not being a "juggle" or "tipped" catch that the Julio Jones catch is the best I have ever seen in terms of pure athletic ability.

It gets forgotten now since they lost the game, but really if they had competent coaching it was that catch that should have won them the game.

SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #625
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Tyree and Edelman catches are basically a wash. The Tyree play is significantly better than the Edelman play though. Still do not know how Eli actually escaped that almost certain sack. So the Edelman play is only a great catch, the Tyree play is a great escape AND a great catch.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #626
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Still can't believe this happened. Walked around in a daze all week. I read that the all time record when a team has a 25 point lead or more at any point during a game is 1057-5. Meaning the Patriots had about a 1 in 200 chance of winning that game after going down 28-3. Add the pressure from it being the Super Bowl and that makes even more unlikely.

Regarding overtime, obviously I sound bitter because my team lost, but I really think sudden death overtime in football is stupid. It makes sense in a sport like hockey where there are fluid changes between offence and defence. Baseball has similar set pays and only one facet of the game on the field as well and their extra innings allow an at-bat for each team. Also the clock is a huge aspect of football so I think they should just play another 10 minutes and whoever has the most points at the end wins. This method of score a TD first and win or score just a field goal and then the other team has a chance is artificial and weird.
station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:02 PM   #627
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The Tyree and Edelman catches are basically a wash. The Tyree play is significantly better than the Edelman play though. Still do not know how Eli actually escaped that almost certain sack. So the Edelman play is only a great catch, the Tyree play is a great escape AND a great catch.
i think that the Tyree catch is still better because of the down and distance... it was fourth down... versus a team chasing NFL history: the Patriot were going to tie the Dolphins as the only undefeated SB champion in history.

tyree drops that ball, game over.

Edelman drops that ball, its second down.

it was the greatest comeback in NFL history, but i don't see Edelman's catch at the best....definitely in the top 10, arguably in the top 5...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 01:26 PM   #628
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about for tie Super Bowls they go Aussie Rules style and replay the game the next week? Not a big deal if it's only going to occur about 1 in 50 years.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #629
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. Plus the Tyree one visually is more appealing too I find. Goes up high to bring it down, glues it to his lid with one hand, then somehow maintains possession while falling to the ground. Just not the same when it's bodies laying on the ground stopping a ball millimetres before it touches grass. Still one of the Super Bowl all-time catches, but it's not quite there at the very top for me.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #630
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Edelman catch is amazing, as every time you see the video you expect it to hit the floor. But if you must rank these things, the Tyree catch takes it:

Situation in the game - game saving catch
Miraculous escape by the QB
Displayed more raw athleticism, an arguable point for sure. But kids were practising that the next day

The Edelman catch is part of the greatest comeback in SB history, playing for greatest franchise in NFL history in one of greatest games in SB history so understandable why it could be considered greatest catch.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #631
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The craziest part is that I actually think in terms of it not being a "juggle" or "tipped" catch that the Julio Jones catch is the best I have ever seen in terms of pure athletic ability.

It gets forgotten now since they lost the game, but really if they had competent coaching it was that catch that should have won them the game.

Absolutely agree
Hand off 3 times, kick field goal, win game... And that is probably the greatest catch in SB history
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote