Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-04-2016, 09:19 PM   #741
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough to watch Gould go, but also not surprised. He missed 3 game winning field goals last year IIRC and 2 more extra points this preseason.

Hope he finds success elsewhere though and finds his game again.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:47 PM   #742
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Josh Sitton signing a 3-year, $21.75 million deal that includes $10M guaranteed with the Chicago Bears, per source.
Thats more than GB owed him this season. Still cant wrap my head around this move.

Good for him but i hate he is a Bear now.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #743
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Doug Pederson officially named Carson Wentz the Eagles' new starting QB.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #744
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Doug Pederson officially named Carson Wentz the Eagles' new starting QB.
It will be interesting to see how Eagles fans handle what's going to be a down season. Some first year QB's can start in year one but I don't think either Wentz or Goff are ready and things could be ugly for them.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:25 AM   #745
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.si.com/tech-media/2016/09...?xid=si_social

“To say I’m disappointed in the hiring of Skip Bayless would be an enormous understatement,” Aikman said. “Clearly, [Fox Sports president of national networks] Jamie Horowitz and I have a difference of opinion when it comes to building a successful organization. I believe success is achieved by acquiring and developing talented, respected and credible individuals, none of which applies to Skip Bayless."
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #746
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Philly looks to be loading up on draft picks for next year. They pulled off another trade for a fourth round pick (possibly a third round pick.)
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:04 AM   #747
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Philly looks to be loading up on draft picks for next year. They pulled off another trade for a fourth round pick (possibly a third round pick.)
I've made the comparison time and time again but it's the post McDaniels blueprint. They have to purge the garbage a moron brought in and start over trying to replace the talent he jettisoned, hopefully they're competitive within 3 years. It's like starting from scratch.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #748
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I've made the comparison time and time again but it's the post McDaniels blueprint. They have to purge the garbage a moron brought in and start over trying to replace the talent he jettisoned, hopefully they're competitive within 3 years. It's like starting from scratch.
Except that Rowe looked like he had the potential to be a good player. I guess he struggled pretty badly in camp and preseason though so see ya. But yeah, this is totally Roseman just purging anyone and everyone from the Chip Kelly era.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #749
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Except that Rowe looked like he had the potential to be a good player. I guess he struggled pretty badly in camp and preseason though so see ya. But yeah, this is totally Roseman just purging anyone and everyone from the Chip Kelly era.
Sorry, for the sake of brevity I said garbage instead of being more detailed. Chip, like Josh, thought he was smarter than the rest of the league and that his system would trump raw talent. So he jettisoned superior talent for sub par talent that fit his specific mold. Now that he's gone the guys he brought in are lesser to average talent and don't fit the new system, making them depth at best are worthless at worst. That's what I meant for starting from scratch.

Plus side is if the new regime is competent they get almost a blank slate and a couple years of goodwill to rebuild into a contender again. Let's hope Wentz isn't the bust I think he'll be and that Roseman knows what he's doing. Fingers crossed.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #750
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

The day I've been waiting for is almost here! off to Phoenix tomorrow for an epic sports weekend

36 holes at TPC stadium and champions course followed by beer and watch Thursday kickoff game around pool

18 holes Friday at Troon north followed by lots of drinks around pool and D'backs vs Giants game

18 holes Saturday at Greyhawk followed by more drinks around pool and ASU vs Texas Tech

Sunday watch morning games and tailgate at Glendale area followed by Patriots vs Cardinals game.

Can't wait!!!
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 03:05 PM   #751
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
The day I've been waiting for is almost here! off to Phoenix tomorrow for an epic sports weekend

36 holes at TPC stadium and champions course followed by beer and watch Thursday kickoff game around pool

18 holes Friday at Troon north followed by lots of drinks around pool and D'backs vs Giants game

18 holes Saturday at Greyhawk followed by more drinks around pool and ASU vs Texas Tech

Sunday watch morning games and tailgate at Glendale area followed by Patriots vs Cardinals game.

Can't wait!!!
Yeah, I'm pretty jazzed for this weekend too. Looks like I'll miss most of the Thursday night game due to travelling but Friday night I'm seeing Springsteen at Citizen's Bank Park. Saturday I'll probably do a pub crawl and then Sunday morning tailgating before Eagles/Browns at the Linc. After that I'll look to find a spot to watch the afternoon games.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:27 AM   #752
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Sorry, for the sake of brevity I said garbage instead of being more detailed. Chip, like Josh, thought he was smarter than the rest of the league and that his system would trump raw talent. So he jettisoned superior talent for sub par talent that fit his specific mold. Now that he's gone the guys he brought in are lesser to average talent and don't fit the new system, making them depth at best are worthless at worst. That's what I meant for starting from scratch.

Plus side is if the new regime is competent they get almost a blank slate and a couple years of goodwill to rebuild into a contender again. Let's hope Wentz isn't the bust I think he'll be and that Roseman knows what he's doing. Fingers crossed.

Kelly was such a disaster I think I can stomach a couple of seasons of restocking the cupboards. I like the Pederson - Roseman combo, I think it has a chance to succeed but needs time. As fans we will always question moves but at least this year I am leaning more towards for the betterment of the team on most of the cuts and trades.

I don't like Wentz starting simply for the fact that I think our line is weak and he will take his fair share of hits and he also tends to stand in there and take them a little to often. I understood the Bradford signing and the subsequent trade. If you can get a 1st for a guy you are essentially going to drop next year you do it.

I liked Rowe but he was just too slow for a corner and wasn't all that smart in his coverage. But I wouldn't be surprised if the patriots turn him into a stud.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #753
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty jazzed for this weekend too. Looks like I'll miss most of the Thursday night game due to travelling but Friday night I'm seeing Springsteen at Citizen's Bank Park. Saturday I'll probably do a pub crawl and then Sunday morning tailgating before Eagles/Browns at the Linc. After that I'll look to find a spot to watch the afternoon games.
That's a great trip, would love to see the Eagles in the Linc, dream come true.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #754
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
It's pretty difficult to question Thompson/McCarthy decisions when it comes to personnel, but this Sitton thing is really difficult to understand. He has one year left on his deal which pays him 5.5 or so. What was the hurry to rid yourself of him as there are no salary cap issues at this point with 15 million in space, he is a 3 time pro-bowl player and a close friend of Rodgers.

Football is such a cut-throat business and i understand they have a couple young guys they really like, but why not release a back-up OLine guy, sign him to the practice roster and keep Sitton one more year?

Dont like the move at all and fear it will leave a bad taste in many players mouths.
I think what surprises me more is if they were planning for him not to be on the team this year, which I think has to be likely, why not try and move him in the offseson? with other deals beign made I have a hard time seeing how you couldn't got at least a late round pick for him.

I'm less surprised about this now though. I thought Sitton played OK but not great last year and with injuries creeping up I don't think his loss is going to be felt as much as most think. Cutting him now also allows them to bank cap room that they can use this year or next and they are going to need it. Lacy, Bakhatiari, Tretter all need new deals as well as guys like Datone Jones, Nick Perry will need new ones or they will need to find players to replace.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote