Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
jamoro
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default How World of Warcraft Could Save Your Business and The Economy

Interesting video explaining why Learning guru John Seely Brown would rather hire an expert player of World of Warcraft over an MBA from Harvard.

And i do agree with him. I've played wow for years and was a hardcore raider at one point. its a lot of planing, trial and error, peer/self evaluation/improvement, and to have a concrete core raiding group you need people to be mediators for problems
Old 09-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

"You ####ed up this report you stupid ######. ####, l2do your job."

Yeah, I like it!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I agree that learning to say be a master at PvP in a game like that, against real life living thinking adapting players is a great challenge and a real sign of competence. However, these people find it to be a lot of fun and entertaining. It can be difficult to translate that kind of intense focus/interest into the working world.

Those that do go about their careers with that same passion are of course highly successful. But I wouldn't say because someone is a good GM they are willing to put the same effort they do running their guild into my company. In fact, I might think it is the opposite :P Most of the people that dedicate the kind of time into WOW that you need to be highly successful in arena or a great raid leader for all of the content are using this as an escape from the real world and don't have highly successful lives.. they have again, the opposite of that.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 09-15-2012 at 08:22 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I suck at PvP but I'm quite good at business. I welcome these guys entering my realm for a change so I can completely rip them apart in the real world.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't been on for a few years but I've still got a few million from messing around with the AH. It's kinda fun playing around in economic systems just like in real life I guess - stocks! (no, not really equivalent) .
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

i dunno, almost everyone i know who was/is a hardcore MMO raider of any kind has very little to no work ethic and as a result jump from job to job. they prioritize their time with WoW or whatever game they're playing far higher than any real life commitments they have
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm the Leroy Jenkins of my office.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

At least you have chicken.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #9
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Yeah this flies in the face of what I know from experience in mmo's, certainly there are people who fit this ideal but wow not many that I know of.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
jamoro
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

guys you have to remember hes not talking about your average joe raider, hes talking about the people who are the best in the world.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
i dunno, almost everyone i know who was/is a hardcore MMO raider of any kind has very little to no work ethic and as a result jump from job to job. they prioritize their time with WoW or whatever game they're playing far higher than any real life commitments they have
Ya this is basically what I was trying to say, just better worded here.

And we know he is talking about the best, and that is what is said here. To be the best and to be high successful at the same scale in WOW as the best are in their business, you have to put in an insane amount of hours.

Being the best in WOW requires /played, being the best in RL requires a bit more than just time. Any idiot can play the game enough to finally win that raid, you don't get to wipe and repeat a lot of times IRL. And when you do it isn't a matter of minutes before you are facing that 'dragon' again, we are talking years to decades of your life.

I just think this guy is making a very bad comparison in the video.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So why hasn't this "expert" assembled his crack team of WoW playing uber-titans and dominated business, instead of just telling others to give it a try?
Old 09-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #13
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
So why hasn't this "expert" assembled his crack team of WoW playing uber-titans and dominated business, instead of just telling others to give it a try?
Oh, he will. Once they come back from the pre-expansion break, obviously.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
jamoro
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

meh,

I think the point he is trying to make in the video, is that the skills people obtain from playing in a expert raiding guild can translate well over to business.

Things like being open to self/peer criticism to help make your performance better are things a lot of cocky businessmen lack.

Also being able to adjust and evolve to ever changing environments and circumstances; and still being assertive in your decisions is also a good skill.

now I agree that these skills may not translate into EVERY aspect of business, but I'm sure they come in handy in a few fields.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #15
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let some of those crazy industrialists in EVE Online run the economy.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #16
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoro View Post
meh,

I think the point he is trying to make in the video, is that the skills people obtain from playing in a expert raiding guild can translate well over to business.
Might, not can. He's not offering any evidence or experimentally based proof.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #17
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

All jokes aside, the highest of high end raiders I knew were in-fact very professional, well-mannered and intelligent.

But on a major server in WoW's hay day you had maybe one or two guilds per server, sometimes none, that fit that criteria. So on a max-pop server you have maybe 40 - 60 people who are like this, and they all gravitated together.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #18
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is a massive difference between being a hardcore raider and being an excellent "best of the best" raider.

All of the people I know in top 5 guilds are crazy smart and successful in real life. All the best players in my guild are also smart and successful (professionals, managers, VP's etc.).

We do have the "hardcore raider" loser type that plays/reads about the game 20 hours a day, but their performance is average at best (attitude is the stereotypical "I'm awesome at wow and thus I'm better than you"). Obviously from a layman's perspective, these two types of people are the same, and I don't think the video did a very good job differentiating the two.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #19
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was often impressed by some of the videos of elite raiding guilds, ventrilo is so quiet, you had a really calm raid leader, reactions to negative events are calmly carried out and this was being done when they're 3 minutes from being the first in the world to do something.

Transferring the passion to your job is another story.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #20
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

In other news:

I'm a great airliner pilot on my PC, able to traverse tricky weather systems and navigate some of the world's most crowded airspace, with HUNDREDS of virtual passengers depending on me. I've flown trans-Atlantic twice now, once WITHOUT accelerating the simulator.

Air Canada should totally look to me for future captaincy.