Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2024, 10:14 AM   #1
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default [PMT] 2023/24 - Season Post-Mortem Thread

Alright. Well. That was a ride.

What are our collective thoughts?

I'll start.

I'm glad Conroy didnt bite on the UFAs and shipped them out. As much as I hate being negative...which is a lie, I am a Flames fan, they simply weren't worth what they wanted, so "buh-bye, watch the door...."

Obviously I wasn't happy to see Hanifin and Tanev leave but Hanifin needed to go back to his home Planet and Tanev wanted a shot at winning. I cant begrudge him that.

Thrilled with Sharangovich. I think him and Kuzmenko might be fun to watch for a while.

I'm glad Wolf got a few shots. He's impressed me a lot, but there is a ways to go.

I'm not going to take it all up, but I will say...it was more fun than I thought it was going to be.

What are your thoughts? Good, bad and ugly about your 2023/24 Calgary Flames?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 10:21 AM   #2
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just can't help but be totally 100% negative about Huberdeau. I'm sure he is a great guy, teammate or whatever, but he is a 50 point player making 10.5 million who is on the wrong side of 30.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 10:22 AM   #3
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I just can't help but be totally 100% negative about Huberdeau. I'm sure he is a great guy, teammate or whatever, but he is a 50 point player making 10.5 million who is on the wrong side of 30.
Yep. I think many feel the same.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:24 AM   #4
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't watch a full Flames game live after we traded Zadorov. Prob not going to change the next few years.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:25 AM   #5
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Yep. I think many feel the same.
The only silver lining is that the Flames are not going to need to spend to the cap anytime soon. Still, 2030-31 is a loooooonng time.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:26 AM   #6
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He did have a better 2nd half to the season. The first half was atrocious, no way around it.
Still -- he's nowhere near a franchise player. Biggest challenge for the team is that insane contract.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 10:26 AM   #7
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kadri should still have positive value to a contender. I wonder if he wants out for a chance to win + we would retain to get him off the books long-term?
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:27 AM   #8
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
He looked better than last year (The 2nd half of the season at least) but shockingly had less points and his +/- took a HUGE hit. We're stuck with that historically bad contract for another 7 years.
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:31 AM   #9
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Better than last season.
Part of that is expectations have shifted and Conroy executed on my expectations of changing the teams direction.
Going to be a difficult few years to come, but hopefully the right draft picks bring hope. Hope will keep me interested.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:35 AM   #10
DiNaMo
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAreOne View Post
He looked better than last year (The 2nd half of the season at least) but shockingly had less points and his +/- took a HUGE hit. We're stuck with that historically bad contract for another 7 years.
I'd be interested in seeing what the worst contracts were on say the last 5-10 Stanley Cup winning teams if someone more knowledgeable could compile.
DiNaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:38 AM   #11
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thats a pretty good point. People are going to bitch and moan about linemates and supporting talent etc. but come on...he's gotta give us more than this or this is going to be a loooong contract.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:41 AM   #12
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, Huby dooby doo had 37 points in his last 46 games, 0.80 points per game and a 66 point pace. Not worth $10.5 million AAV but a potential sign of life maybe?

He actually went pointless in the final three games too. So that was a 71 point pace over 43 games before those three pointless ones.

Grasping at straws here..
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 10:44 AM   #13
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am still holding hope that Huberdeau will have at least 1 or 2 PPG seasons. I wonder if we will see a resurgence once the new core is established in the next 2-3 seasons and he is only expected to provide secondary scoring --> kind of like Seguin and Benn.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 10:45 AM   #14
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hubey's problem is that he tries all those stupid hard no look passes. Like after that amazing blind pass to Sharangovich, he went fivefold in the next few games after with no luck.

I think if he just simplifies things he would get more points. But that trade would be the worst trade in the history of the NHL if not for Weegar.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:48 AM   #15
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I am still holding hope that Huberdeau will have at least 1 or 2 PPG seasons. I wonder if we will see a resurgence once the new core is established in the next 2-3 seasons and he is only expected to provide secondary scoring --> kind of like Seguin and Benn.
Jeff Skinner is kinda sorta another example of this.

Had 23 points in 59 games and 14 points in 53 games his first two seasons after signing that monster deal of his.

Bounced back to 63 in 80 and 82 in 79 the next two years.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 10:48 AM   #16
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAreOne View Post
His production numbers are mainly about December, which was atrocious. From Jan. 1 onward (until the last week) his numbers were not bad at all (not $10.5M, but also not $5M). Outside of December he was, in fact, much better than last year, which explains your eye test.

His +/- has been explained: 21 of those minuses are ENG against and/or shorthanded goals against, most of which would not be on him. Possession wise, his stats are among the best on the team over the last while, according to Bingo.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 10:59 AM   #17
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's just a matter of finding some building blocks in the next two drafts and better times will be ahead.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 11:01 AM   #18
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

As one of the biggest Wolf advocates last summer, I am decently satisfied with the amount of games he got this year. I was worried early in the season when the callups and games were few and far between. Would have loved to see 5 or 10 more games, but overall a decent year.

I still have to think the fate of the next few years of the Flames depends on him continuing to develop. If he can turn this years learning experiences into better play these next few years, that gives you guys a much better chance.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 11:02 AM   #19
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Great season in my mind ... not on the ice, but off it.

Hope is back.

If you have an average team, and you retain everyone it just seems like you're locked into that average result until it gets worse, which leaves you with the decline in the average players and no cap space.

Now they're picked a path, made the moves, have more assets and the team will get younger and change.

Won't be easy ... hoping it won't be Buffalo etc, but at least we didn't sign "please stay!" contracts with 2-3 players adding to the Kadri/Huberdeau future contract woes.

And being out of the playoffs isn't miserable once you've started adding some young players with some upside. Then you enjoy the try and the games become more entertaining.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 11:27 AM   #20
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Great season in my mind ... not on the ice, but off it.

Hope is back.

If you have an average team, and you retain everyone it just seems like you're locked into that average result until it gets worse, which leaves you with the decline in the average players and no cap space.

Now they're picked a path, made the moves, have more assets and the team will get younger and change.

Won't be easy ... hoping it won't be Buffalo etc, but at least we didn't sign "please stay!" contracts with 2-3 players adding to the Kadri/Huberdeau future contract woes.

And being out of the playoffs isn't miserable once you've started adding some young players with some upside. Then you enjoy the try and the games become more entertaining.
Hard not to agree, the Flames are rounding into a decent position with the prospects and pick they've accumulated since Conroy took over.