Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #21
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
I would like to see Phillips in the AHL taking Mangipane's spot as Mangiapane comes up and takes Versteeg's spot. Don't know if that's possible but I would like to see more graduating from the farm to the big club if the player shows they can handle it.

Is it even possible?
I'd love to see more of our prospects make the jump but that'll happen in training camp, and I wouldn't be pencilling in Mangiapane just yet. Started off hot in the AHL but has cooled off since, 5 points in 20 games since the new year, sits at 27 points in 48 games now. One more season down there is definitely in the cards. Matthew Phillips doesn't turn 19 until April... no AHL for him next season.

Jankowski and Klimchuk are graduating possibilities next season, and Lazar of course.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2017, 10:45 AM   #22
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Personally, I'd bring Versteeg back on a 2-year deal for $1.5-2 million per. Wouldn't kill the books, and would allow room for Bennett/Tkachuk extensions in a couple years.
Yeah, that would be the max the Flames should offer. If he wants more, let him walk.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #23
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think he's frustrating to watch. Solid on the powerplay but that's about it. There's a lot of giveaways and no cycle. He isn't helping Bennett

Much prefer to give his spot to jankowski and shuffle the lines
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #24
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Absolutely, yes.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:56 AM   #25
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's given everything you could have reasonably expected. Unless we sign others who push him out of the PP spot and down the lines, I'd bring him back.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #26
Franchise Player

Exp:

In today's cap world, you should always sign a Versteeg type veteran player to a 1 year contract. If he helps your team and you make the playoffs good. If he doesn't, you trade him for picks at the deadline.

Signing veterans to 1 year deals should be something that every GM does every year in the cap world. It's great asset management.

To answer the question, yes I would sign him to a 1 year contract. Doesn't even have to be league minimum, could give him a little more money depending on how much cap there is, but not too much that limits his liquidity at the deadline.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:03 AM   #27
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Absolutely, and he's probably earned a raise. Something like $2.5/2yr.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:18 AM   #28
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

He is a lower priority signing for me.

As it stands right now Flames have ~$21 million in cap space and need to fill in (note brackets just indicate rough guesses, don't need to nitpick):

A starting goaltender + backup goaltender (~ $6 million)
2-3 d-men (~ $7 million)
re-sign Bennett, Lazar, and Ferland (~5 million)

Depending on how much those positions cost to fill and how much cap space is left, I might consider Versteeg.

With the cap remaining flat, there are going to be more and more players like Versteeg who will be pushed out because of cap reasons and sign cheap 1 year deals, there is really no need to commit to them long term.

Last edited by sureLoss; 03-04-2017 at 11:20 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #29
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

As it stands right now Flames have ~$21 million in cap space and need to fill in (note brackets just indicate rough guesses, don't need to nitpick):

2-3 d-men (~ $7 million)

Depending on how much those positions cost to fill and how much cap space is left, I might consider Versteeg.
I agree w/ this.

$21 million cap space:

Elliott: $4 million
Johnson: $2.5 million

Stone: $3.5 million
Another guy (Postma, Del Zotto, etc.): ~$2.5 million

Bennett: $2.5 million
Ferland: $2 million
Lazar: $1 million

That leaves $3 million to sign a guy like Versteeg + another comparable guy

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:25 AM   #30
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot will depend on what happens in the expansion draft and whether Ferland cements himself as a fixture with Johnny and Monahan.

Truthfully I'd rather see the Flames find themselves an established top line RW, as I'm not convinced Ferland has the consistency over an extended period to be that guy. But, if Brouwer ends up getting picked up by the Knights then I could see a place for Versteeg on the 3rd line.

I'd be ok giving him a one year extension around $1.5 mil, but he's not a guy I'd be sad to see walk. Players like Versteeg are available in the bargain bin every summer, and I'd just as easily offer the same contract to someone similar like Parenteau, Vrbata, or even Hudler.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #31
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Players like Versteeg are available in the bargain bin every summer, and I'd just as easily offer the same contract to someone similar like Parenteau, Vrbata, or even Hudler.
Don't get too general, though. These little signings are critical to contending teams (which we're starting to become). It's fine to name off a bunch of names and say any of them are fine, but the difference between Versteeg and Vrbata/Hudler could be "player who can't cut it at the NHL level anymore and was a waste of a signing and roster spot" and "player who comes in and fulfils a top 6 role which you weren't able to fill with the desired product due to the cap".

Versteeg is filling the latter right now, and I don't see any reason why he'd fall off so much as to not be able to next year as well. Those other players you listed possibly could, but likely wouldn't, imo.

Moves like this are part of what separate smart, calculated GM's from the middle to lower tier. Not saying you need to jump on Versteeg or else you're an idiot, but I'd say he's definitely a priority to get signed, just not a desperate priority.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:59 AM   #32
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to estimate him - he's on pace for about the same as last year for goals/points (if not a little worse). I wouldn't be opposed to paying him a little more, but it seems likely he will fall through the UFA cracks again (especially considering the number of players being deferred until after the expansion draft).

1x1.75M
2x1.5M
3x1.25M
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #33
jayswin

Exp:

I'd shy away from two years if possible, but would be happy anywhere up to $2mil for one year. That would likely be a great value contract for the Flames.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:13 PM   #34
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

If he's willing to sign for 2yrs @ around $1.5M AAV, then yes I'd love to have him back. More than that? Let him walk.

He won't be a top 6 player for us, and we can't continue to have guys in our bottom 6 earning $2.5M+.
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:18 PM   #35
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's been pretty meh 5 on 5 but he's cheap and isn't a liability. His value comes from the power play and shootout ability. He's also stayed healthy this year, which is huge. Seems to be well liked in the room, and probably would want to stay.

I'd give him a one year deal with a reasonable raise; if he wants two years he'd have to take a decent "hometown discount".
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #36
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The midst of a red hot winning streak is probably not the best time to make decisions around re-signing UFA's. I do think versteeg has earned his money this year after a slow start and I wouldn't object to him being back. But as a rule I'd like the Flames to have more 1 year deals on the roster, vs. trying to sign depth guys at a bargain price but using up term.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #37
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Brouwer can be removed, I'd like to see him signed, but no longer than a 1 year deal. Pay him whatever, but I really think that it will be important to keep the term as short as possible.

If Brouwer can't be removed, then I don't really see a place for him. You have to at least have an open spot for the kids to push for, otherwise they won't see any opportunity. I'm pretty sure Wotherspoon already has this mentality (and honestly I can't really blame him for it) and it will absolutely keep him from reaching the NHL.

I think next year's lines will probably be

Gaudreau-Monahan-acquisition
3m
Ferland-Bennett-Brouwer/Lazar/Versteeg
Prospect/Bouma-Stajan/Jankowski/Lazar-Brouwer/prospect
Old 03-04-2017, 12:21 PM   #38
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The midst of a red hot winning streak is probably not the best time to make decisions around re-signing UFA's.
There's pretty much zero chance the Flames would make a decision to re-sign a player like Versteeg in the middle of a Flames hot streak or any time during the season. Not sure why that's a concern.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #39
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

2-3 d-men (~ $7 million)

With the cap remaining flat, there are going to be more and more players like Versteeg who will be pushed out because of cap reasons and sign cheap 1 year deals, there is really no need to commit to them long term.
I agree with this except for one thing, the Flames are likely to "lose" a guy off the roster in the expansion draft. If LV takes one of Brower, Stajan or Bouma it would really help out the Flames. I think next year a prospect steps up and earns a spot either on forward or D or both and can fill out a spot on a great contract. If the Flames can somehow manage to cut ties with 2 or more of the aforementioned players, they would have even more cap space to fill the roster. Those 3 guys make 10 mil. That's a lot for what they bring. If LV selects Brouwer it's 4.5 off the books and he isn't even a top 6 guy and I don't think it's too far of a stretch to slot Lazar in his spot. Bouma at 2.2 is replaced by Hathaway or someone else like him on a cheap deal. If Stajan and his 3.125 can be replaced by Janko or someone else, it's a huge savings there. I know not all 3 guys will be gone from the team but the odds are one of them is and will be replaced by a cheaper option which would allow more room to fill out the rest of the roster.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:35 PM   #40
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if there would be room for both Brouwer and Versteeg on the team next season. If Brouwer is picked up by LV then maybe they can sign him to a short term deal.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: