Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2016, 10:47 AM   #61
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
If you have spent anytime around group homes and alternate schools you'll soon realize weed is very addictive for some.
About 20% of my foster kids are unable to function without smoking up, they're not particularly functional on it either unfortunately.
Not to sound insensitive but I doubt the weed is the real problem there.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:00 AM   #62
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, teenagers have trouble doing anything fun not in excess. Drinking, drugs, video game, sex, speeding, loud music, etc...

Throw in psychological disorders, and it becomes that much worse.

Marijuana is definitely not for teenagers.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:40 AM   #63
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Not to sound insensitive but I doubt the weed is the real problem there.
That's true of any addictive substance, the vast majority of people that try heroin don't get addicted, the ones that do have some underlying issue that the drug instantly fixes for them.

As I've said before I'm in favour of legalizing weed but for my foster kids weed is, ironically, about the most destructive drug they deal with, precisely because it is viewed as harmless.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 12:28 PM   #64
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't we de-criminalize pot while recognizing that it carries risks and harmful side effects? Why do we have to pretend that it's absolutely harmless?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 12:32 PM   #65
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Weed is not harmless. Which is why there will be awareness campaigns, strict sale laws and funding from taxes to medical programs when it's legalized.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:33 PM   #66
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Can't we de-criminalize pot while recognizing that it carries risks and harmful side effects? Why do we have to pretend that it's absolutely harmless?
I don't see anyone claiming it's harmless. Even I was saying that smoking it does damage. What most of us are saying is that MM is a far better option than the hard prescription drugs (opiates etc) that cause horrific addiction and does so so so much damage to many of the organs in one's body. Much more damage than weed does.
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:37 PM   #67
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Won't someone think of the children!!!!!

Oh wait, the church is.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...3JJ/story.html
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:45 PM   #68
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Drinking too many Slurpees is harmful. Weed is going to be harmful in its own way, too. The point here is to quit making it a crime to possess and use, capitalize on the tax opportunity, and don't #### block the sale of it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:20 PM   #69
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
That's true of any addictive substance, the vast majority of people that try heroin don't get addicted, the ones that do have some underlying issue that the drug instantly fixes for them.

As I've said before I'm in favour of legalizing weed but for my foster kids weed is, ironically, about the most destructive drug they deal with, precisely because it is viewed as harmless.
Except that weed isn't an addictive substance, at least not chemically. It's only addictive in the loss of self control method like gambling or alcohol (early stage at least). Almost anything we eat, drink, or do for fun can be addictive to a certain segment of the population, it's disingenuous to single out pot for that
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:31 PM   #70
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Except that weed isn't an addictive substance, at least not chemically. It's only addictive in the loss of self control method like gambling or alcohol (early stage at least). Almost anything we eat, drink, or do for fun can be addictive to a certain segment of the population, it's disingenuous to single out pot for that
Is it singling out pot to say it can be habit-forming and destructive when taken to excess, the way gambling and alcohol are? And I say this as a guy who smokes pot on occasion and thinks it should be legalized.

I have absolutely seen guys become chronic users to the point of dependency. Getting baked off your ass every day for years on end will take a toll on your cognitive functions. Sure, if it wasn't pot it would probably be something else. But you could say the same for alcohol or gambling. And we warn people about the dangers of getting sucked into those habits.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:40 PM   #71
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
Won't someone think of the children!!!!!

Oh wait, the church is.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...3JJ/story.html
The church is always thinking of children, let's not kid ourselves here.

But seriously, color me surprised that the church is resisting progress here. Let's keep putting people in jail for marijuana related offenses. For the church, hey, that's good for business, maybe while they're in there, we can get them to convert to worshipping JEEEEEEEEEZUS in prison.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 03:48 PM   #72
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I hope these kids of yours aren't minors, because weed most certainly has been proven harmful to teens.

And it might seem convenient to blame your foster children's behaviour on weed, but I have a feeling they weren't straight A students prior to smoking the devils cabbage.

Most burnouts are going to be attracted to weed smoking as a hobby and lifestyle, but that doesn't mean weed turns you into a burnout. Causation vs correlation.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:03 PM   #73
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
I hope these kids of yours aren't minors, because weed most certainly has been proven harmful to teens.

And it might seem convenient to blame your foster children's behaviour on weed, but I have a feeling they weren't straight A students prior to smoking the devils cabbage.

Most burnouts are going to be attracted to weed smoking as a hobby and lifestyle, but that doesn't mean weed turns you into a burnout. Causation vs correlation.
Most of my foster kids start smoking up in their early teens, and no I'm not blaming their issues on drugs, but unlike any other drug my kids have been sold an opposite level of bull#### from the anti drug view, they never question their weed use, because 'it's natural and you can't get addicted to it'
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:09 PM   #74
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not sure which thread this questions fits into, but i'll try here..

Has anyone looked into becoming a Licensed Producer? I have been doing some research on what is involved and found lots of useful information all over the web.

According to Health Canada:

As of August 1, 2016

1561 applications received
253 have been refused
419 applications are in progress
54 have been withdrawn
801 were incomplete and have been returned

There are currently only 36 Licensed Producers operating in Canada, and only one in Alberta, Aurora Cannabis that has been mentioned a few times already.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marih...o/list-eng.php

The application process is a pretty daunting. Just curious if anyone else has looked into whats involved. PM if you want.
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top Shelf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 04:43 PM   #75
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The church is always thinking of children, let's not kid ourselves here.

But seriously, color me surprised that the church is resisting progress here. Let's keep putting people in jail for marijuana related offenses. For the church, hey, that's good for business, maybe while they're in there, we can get them to convert to worshipping JEEEEEEEEEZUS in prison.
Catholicism has an enrollment crisis. A 'get high and talk about God' sort of program is exactly what they need.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:50 PM   #76
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
The border issues have been talked about a lot here in Windsor for obvious reasons. US Customs have turned back people for just having a medical card. It's definitely not something you can bring over the border to the US.
Surprised people even assume that would work, especially entering a very conservative country like the U.S. Doesn't matter what your home country deems you as, in another country you're considered a guest and completely at their whim. No way would I even attempt that.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:52 PM   #77
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone here try Pineapple Express or Silver Haze?
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:03 PM   #78
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

So yesterday I received my first batch of Cannatonic (subtitled Tower) - this is a high-CBD strain that's entirely non-psychoactive. My particular shipment measures less than 0.5% THC, and 13.9% CBD. Aurora has another strain of Cannatonic called Sentinel which is pushing 20% CBD.

Early returns are extremely positive on the Cannatonic. It takes the nerves and anxiety away almost instantly and yet leaves me completely clear-headed. If anything I feel a little more dialed in and focused. As mentioned, the stuff is almost entirely non-psychoactive, and it doesn't leave me glassy-eyed or red-eyed. I've been calm and productive all day, and while it's not all the credit to the strain, I give it huge props and would HIGHLY recommend people give CBD-biased product a look.

Also took delivery of some LA Confidential, a 23% THC Indica. I realized after a few heavy duty strains sold out almost instantly that 'wait a minute... I think a lot of people are using this medical system to by drugs to get ####ed up on recreationally. I think some people don't actually care about the medical benefits at all!"

A real a-ha! moment for me. So this showed up, and it's some of the best weed I've ever had. I was feeling it 2+ hours after smoking. I found it to be very mentally engaging as well - it didn't leave me feeling dopey, though I didn't speak to anyone so that may have been in my head. Even though I was high and having lots of fun high thoughts, they felt like they had a direction. There was a purpose. A search for truth or something. I also spent some time training my dog, and that seemed to head in the right direction.

Oh and by the by. If you haven't gotten high and played with your dog, you simply haven't lived.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #79
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
Anyone here try Pineapple Express or Silver Haze?
I have some Pineapple Express in my arsenal right now. I really like it. Gives me great energy and a great mood boost.

One of my current favourite strains along with Super Lemon Haze and Charlotte's Web for a low THC high CBD option.
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #80
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

Oh and by the by. If you haven't gotten high and played with your dog, you simply haven't lived.
I can throw her the ball for HOURS! I grabbed a couple of the higher THC strains on the weekend but haven't had time to try yet. So far my experience with Aurora has been good, I find them a bit expensive but the convenience is fantastic!
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote