Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:
Thumbs up I Love HP

I have to hand it to HP and give them some Kudos. About 2 years ago I bought a HP Pavillion dv6233se (laptop) and it's been great; however after the first few months I noticed that sometimes after hibernation the wireless would not work. I called their support center, was talking to a person within seconds, and had a very helpful guy help me update the BIOS. I never had a problem again until today.

This morning I woke up and tried to power up and a few lights blinked for a few seconds, no fans or anything turned on, and it went back to off. I tried disconnecting the battery, reconnecting, all the "troubleshooting for dummies" type stuff, and nothing was working. It's definitely a hardware issue, and I'm way outside my warranty.

I just called them because there is an "after warranty" support number on their website. The lady on the other end asked me a few questions, and then let me know my laptop's warranty was extended for free by HP because there have been a few issues with this model. Within seconds she had a service order that has a box coming to my house within 2 business days, with prepaid shipping to pick up my laptop, and I'll have it back in 2 weeks!!

It will be painful to be without it, but I am really blown away by this service. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: HP is the best mass produced computer out there. They have a customer for life in me.

Anyone considering a new machine, I recommend HP.

edit: Oops, should have put this in here I guess. Thank-you, whoever you are!!

Last edited by alltherage; 05-04-2009 at 12:41 PM.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

My mom recently had a good experience with HP as well. In spite of my warning to her that if she ever bought another multifunction printer/copier/scanner/fax that I would stop supporting her computer, she bought one anyways. [Facepalm]

Then she calls me Friday night to say she is having problems installing it. I gave her a few things to do, but she couldn't get it to work. Apparently she called HP's support line and a tech remoted into her computer and got it up and running for her. Good amount of support for a $150 product.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Nice support, but I will never buy an HP printer or multifunction device again, terrible terrible drivers.

Good to hear their support is doing well, some of their new laptops look quite appealing too.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also love HPLovecraft.

Oops. Wrong thread
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Nice support, but I will never buy an HP printer or multifunction device again, terrible terrible drivers.
Thank you! I have had one for the couple years and I HATE the software for those things. I was wondering if I had just developed a horrible bias against HP software, glad to hear I'm not the only one to feel this way.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I have a HP business all in one with a scanner and fax and stuff, and while the printer part is pretty reliable (i.e. when I print something, it actually prints), but the scanning part..

I've had 2 WinXP, 1 Vista, and 1 OSX PC hooked up to it and it's completely random what's going to work day in and day out. For a while my WinXP box could not scan, it would throw an error and I'd have to restart the printer to get anything else to run, but the OSX laptop scanned great. Then I got a Vista box, and Vista works (kinda) and the OSX box stopped being able to scan.

In Vista, I have 2 users.. under my main user the system tray software loads, but I can't actually bring up any menu, so to scan I have to go find the .exe file in the bin folder, and there's 100 .exe files in there. If I log in as the other user, the menu comes up but scanning doesn't work, it just doesn't do anything.

I keep hoping it will break down so I can buy something different.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

My brother works as digital imagist or something along those lines and has to print those massive backdrops for booths used at trade shows and such. He bought this MASSIVE 14' wide printer a while back that apparently cost ~$250,000. I walked into his office one day, saw the HP logo on the printer. I had to laugh as it made wonder if he got the same kinda crap software we get.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

IMO they need good service to counter the products they put out. I went through 2 computers in a span of a year with them. First time the computer fan would not shut off as the computer was boiling hot and managed to melt the plastic on my desk. I sent it in, took a few months even with me calling 3-4 times and I called so much I memorized the numbers, the automatic pin thing and my computer code. After getting hold of a person, I was transferred 3-4 times and at times I would get disconnected or the place I was being transferred was closed and the call would terminate. Drove me insane!!! So after 2 months I finally got a good technician and said he would send this up to his manager to escalate it. (The other people said they'd do this as well, but nothing happened) Anyways, a week later, they call me back asking that they could supply me with a new laptop and the only ones they had available were a 12.1" or 17". The perfect size for me was 13-14" so I picked the smaller 12.1". They failed to tell me that the keyboard was in french so the shift button was way out to the left side and worse... the computer was even hotter than my original one. I got so fed up with it about 2 months in, I decided I would sell it but send it in to get it fixed. After about 3 weeks, I got it back and finally sold it for a fraction of the cost.

That said, my friends had some pretty decent experiences with HP support and their repairs have not taken nearly as long as mine. But the same people all had similar problems with their laptop screens and over heating issues. My Thinkpad I have now has had no problems whatsoever. If you can't tell, I hate HP with a great passion.

Let's not talk about the various driver issues as stated above that I've had.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:49 AM   #9
I_am_Beast
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The trick to HP is actually contacting the right person. I'm a HP service tech for Wide format Plotters... I had HP on the phone for a problem and had them drop off a new plotter to the customer due to an issue.... The customer had a $12,000 plotter replace within 2 days.. no charge.
I_am_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:01 AM   #10
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought you meant HP sauce. Man, I love that stuff. I put it on crackers.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #11
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

I think the reason many of you hate the drivers is because, (like me), you probably do the custom install where you pick which software goes on because you don't need all the digital imaging softwares that come with it. I find that 90% of the time it's an ID-10-T issue. (user)

But I know guys like photon are pretty good with the computer so it's a toss up.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #12
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I thought you meant HP sauce. Man, I love that stuff. I put it on crackers.
Ew. I'm pretty liberal with the HP but never tried it on crackers. That's crazy!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #13
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Too bad their driver support is ABSOLUTE garbage.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #14
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

My HP printer/scanner is absolute garbage. Will never buy another one.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #15
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an old HP that is still going strong after 5+ years. Does what I need it to... printers aren't even expensive unless you get a serious all in one jobber. If you get a simple inkjet, you get hosed on the ink, not the printer.