Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2024, 11:50 PM   #10881
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Please someone tell me how the CBC can justify spending taxpayer dollars on The Great Canadian Pottery Throwdown.

https://gem.cbc.ca/the-great-canadia...s&gad_source=1
You're kind of a boob, lol.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 12:00 AM   #10882
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
You're kind of a boob, lol.
What can I say, I’m bored on a Monday night.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:15 AM   #10883
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Please someone tell me how the CBC can justify spending taxpayer dollars on The Great Canadian Pottery Throwdown.

A show that highlights Canadian amateur artists in a format that some people find entertaining? Isn't that exactly what CBC should be promoting?
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:17 AM   #10884
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Finally! Something other than cooking shows.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:33 AM   #10885
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
Finally! Something other than cooking shows.

I happen to like the Great Canadian Baking show!
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 10:01 AM   #10886
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
A show that highlights Canadian amateur artists in a format that some people find entertaining? Isn't that exactly what CBC should be promoting?
They did a freaking show about building sand castles...

Why is this surprising...
Old 02-13-2024, 10:04 AM   #10887
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think Don Martin sums things up nicely on ArriveCan and the idea that the worst is yet to come from other investigations.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/don-...port-1.6765869

Quote:
he book has been broken anew. In a rule-shredding repeat orbiting the dreaded ArriveCan(opens in a new tab) app, Auditor-General Karen Hogan(opens in a new tab) drew a paint by hefty numbers portrait of bureaucratic incompetence, dodged accountability and contractors treating Liberal government officials to fine whisky tastings.

What started out as a modest $80,000 piece of basic traveller-tracking software during the pandemic became a $60-million-plus boondoggle where juicy contracts were farmed out without competitive bidding to those without the skills or staff to deliver the goods.

Quote:
But the auditor general’s detailed and damning analysis is the truly infuriating part of this technological ripoff. And Hogan says the worst may be in details she could not access.

Quote:
But the auditor general’s detailed and damning analysis is the truly infuriating part of this technological ripoff. And Hogan says the worst may be in details she could not access.

Quote:
For example, we still don’t know which bureaucrats handed out contracts to unqualified recipients, some without legitimate proposals to justify untendered money grabs, or why these specific companies received such special treatment.
No heads have rolled onto the unemployment rolls as a result of allegations dating back two years.
All we know is somehow GCStrategies, a two-person consulting firm based in a rural Ottawa Valley house, was able to write its own ticket to a $25-million contract despite having no hands-on expertise beyond knowing which bureaucratic backs to scratch.

[QUOTE In one case, they didn’t even have to submit a proposal. All they had to do was invite the decision makers to a whisky drinking event or a few dinners and the cheques fell into their lap.
But they were not alone. There were a number of companies, including the king of government contracts in KPMG, which received similar sweetheart procurements from velvet-gloved bureaucrats filled with blank pages where the detailed contract justifications should appear.
The faults and flaws which drove up contract prices were many and should’ve been easy to catch and fix.
The supervising power over procurement in Public Services did not review all the deals as one might expect.
In some cases, potential bidders drafted the terms of the contracts they would ultimately receive without any competition.
The lead agencies -- the Canadian Border Agency and the Public Health Agency -- each thought the other was taking the administrative lead so nobody was in charge.
Junior techs working the app were billing senior service rates and timesheets were not validated for work done, which helped inflate the daily pay rate to $1,090 per private tech employee versus $675 for an equivalent government worker.
What’s worse, if that’s possible, once the app was in operation it required a steady stream of major fixes, most of which were never tested before they were unleashed on the travelling public. In one case, the auditor general notes, that meant 10,000 fully vaccinated Canadians were needlessly quarantined by a glitch in the app.
][/QUOTE]

Quote:
t all reeks to high heaven and we don’t even have the kickers yet. The results of an RCMP investigation are yet to come and there’s a bombshell report from the procurement ombudsman(opens in a new tab) that was so "scary," MPs have deferred hearings on his findings.

Quote:
While the size of the public service has ballooned under the Trudeau government, the use of private sector alternatives has kept pace at a tremendous cost to taxpayers.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 10:04 AM   #10888
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Seems to be doing well compared to other shows.

https://tv.parrotanalytics.com/CA/th...w-down-bbc-two
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 10:12 AM   #10889
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plus these reality TV shows have to cost peanuts to put on. Plus it is being produced by Rogan. I bet it makes money.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 11:42 AM   #10890
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
Noted. I'm sure you'll say Harper had a spotless record, and PP will save Canada from all this corruption. How will he differ from the blatant corruption Ford is somehow surviving in Ontario, and the destruction of healthcare and education plus paying off favors to donors and cronies the UCP have been riding since entering office in 2019? Not to mention turning back the clock on Trans/ LGBTQ rights whilst adding more staffers and bureaucrats all in the name of small government/ Freedum etc.
Good lord the whataboutism is ridiculous.

Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 12:11 PM   #10891
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think Don Martin sums things up nicely on ArriveCan and the idea that the worst is yet to come from other investigations.

Quote:
he book has been broken anew. In a rule-shredding repeat orbiting the dreaded ArriveCan(opens in a new tab) app, Auditor-General Karen Hogan(opens in a new tab) drew a paint by hefty numbers portrait of bureaucratic incompetence, dodged accountability and contractors treating Liberal government officials to fine whisky tastings.

What started out as a modest $80,000 piece of basic traveller-tracking software during the pandemic became a $60-million-plus boondoggle where juicy contracts were farmed out without competitive bidding to those without the skills or staff to deliver the goods.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
For example, we still don’t know which bureaucrats handed out contracts to unqualified recipients, some without legitimate proposals to justify untendered money grabs, or why these specific companies received such special treatment.
No heads have rolled onto the unemployment rolls as a result of allegations dating back two years.
All we know is somehow GCStrategies, a two-person consulting firm based in a rural Ottawa Valley house, was able to write its own ticket to a $25-million contract despite having no hands-on expertise beyond knowing which bureaucratic backs to scratch.

[QUOTE In one case, they didn’t even have to submit a proposal. All they had to do was invite the decision makers to a whisky drinking event or a few dinners and the cheques fell into their lap.
But they were not alone. There were a number of companies, including the king of government contracts in KPMG, which received similar sweetheart procurements from velvet-gloved bureaucrats filled with blank pages where the detailed contract justifications should appear.
The faults and flaws which drove up contract prices were many and should’ve been easy to catch and fix.
The supervising power over procurement in Public Services did not review all the deals as one might expect.
In some cases, potential bidders drafted the terms of the contracts they would ultimately receive without any competition.
The lead agencies -- the Canadian Border Agency and the Public Health Agency -- each thought the other was taking the administrative lead so nobody was in charge.
Junior techs working the app were billing senior service rates and timesheets were not validated for work done, which helped inflate the daily pay rate to $1,090 per private tech employee versus $675 for an equivalent government worker.
What’s worse, if that’s possible, once the app was in operation it required a steady stream of major fixes, most of which were never tested before they were unleashed on the travelling public. In one case, the auditor general notes, that meant 10,000 fully vaccinated Canadians were needlessly quarantined by a glitch in the app.
][/QUOTE]

Quote:
t all reeks to high heaven and we don’t even have the kickers yet. The results of an RCMP investigation are yet to come and there’s a bombshell report from the procurement ombudsman(opens in a new tab) that was so "scary," MPs have deferred hearings on his findings.

Quote:
While the size of the public service has ballooned under the Trudeau government, the use of private sector alternatives has kept pace at a tremendous cost to taxpayers.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:38 PM   #10892
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

No more new roads from the federal Liberals:

Quote:
Our government has made the decision to stop investing in new road infrastructure. Of course we will continue to be there for cities, provinces and territories to maintain the existing network, but there will be no more envelopes from the federal government to enlarge the road network. The analysis we have done is that the network is perfectly adequate to respond to the needs we have. And thanks to a mix of investment in active and public transit, and in territorial planning and densification, we can very well achieve our goals of economic, social and human development without more enlargement of the road network.
https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...ven-guilbeault
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:40 PM   #10893
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post

This screams I don’t want to get elected. You don’t say this out loud to the voters in the Toronto suburb.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 09:04 PM   #10894
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunch View Post
i think don martin sums things up nicely on arrivecan and the idea that the worst is yet to come from other investigations.

canadians don’t care about corruption.

[quote in one case, they didn’t even have to submit a proposal. All they had to do was invite the decision makers to a whisky drinking event or a few dinners and the cheques fell into their lap.
But they were not alone. There were a number of companies, including the king of government contracts in kpmg, which received similar sweetheart procurements from velvet-gloved bureaucrats filled with blank pages where the detailed contract justifications should appear.
The supervising power over procurement in public services did not review all the deals as one might expect.
The lead agencies -- the canadian border agency and the public health agency -- each thought the other was taking the administrative lead so nobody was in charge.
What’s worse, if that’s possible, once the app was in operation it required a steady stream of major fixes, most of which were never tested before they were unleashed on the travelling public. In one case, the auditor general notes, that meant 10,000 fully vaccinated canadians were needlessly quarantined by a glitch in the app.
]
[/quote]
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 09:06 PM   #10895
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe none of the 500000 new Canadians will drive. And maybe nobody who turns 16 plans on getting their license.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:37 PM   #10896
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Maybe none of the 500000 new Canadians will drive. And maybe nobody who turns 16 plans on getting their license.
Or need any food, product, energy or service (including the people that provide the service) to be transported. And cram by the dozens into the same condo for the rest of their lives. But also not use any extra resources or be allowed to have children themselves.

Then a few months later where we will have another additional batch of 500,000 more.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 06:29 AM   #10897
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post

Immigration at record high levels, to the point of breaking our country.

Public transit very much not available, and obviously an issue with record high immigration levels.

What do the Liberals say?

"No new roads."

I mean, its probably more complex than that, but are they intentionally trying to torpedo their own government?

I'm very certain I could pick 10 people from CP and put them in charge of Canada and they would do a MUCH better job.

I'll start with the people I have blocked.

PepsiFree as PM. Instant improvement over our gong show of a government.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:49 AM   #10898
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Immigration at record high levels, to the point of breaking our country.

Public transit very much not available, and obviously an issue with record high immigration levels.

What do the Liberals say?

"No new roads."

I mean, its probably more complex than that, but are they intentionally trying to torpedo their own government?

I'm very certain I could pick 10 people from CP and put them in charge of Canada and they would do a MUCH better job.

I'll start with the people I have blocked.

PepsiFree as PM. Instant improvement over our gong show of a government.
lol prob more cup of tea for you would be...

Calgaryborn
Onlyturekfan
Yoho
First Lady
2stonedbirds
captaincrunch
and Rmillions
Old 02-14-2024, 07:53 AM   #10899
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Johnny Makarov will be too busy running North Korea to join the new Canadian govt.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 08:10 AM   #10900
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
lol prob more cup of tea for you would be...

Calgaryborn
Onlyturekfan
Yoho
First Lady
2stonedbirds
captaincrunch
and Rmillions
Are those all the people that live rent free in your head?

Some of them haven't posted in forever, so must be.