Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #4521
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
like 20% or retail games work..saying its backwards compatible is a stretch

they say there are like 200 games or something but they count games like hearts, spades, solitare...there 3 games lol

Its certainly not a bad feature as it doesn't cost anything but I can't see how it could possibly be a deal breaker. I literally found a 360 at the dump and with a little TLC its rocking again...not to mention these BC games run worse on the one (the games I have tried anyway)

T-dog hasn't been around these parts since he was bragging about the Kinect!

lol I kid I kid
Such is the trade-off with software-based emulation. The 360 ran PPC-based architecture, whereas the One is X86. Unless you go the route of the launch PS3 which had PS2 hardware on the motherboard, you're going to run into that.

Current list is at 161 titles. Xbox classic titles that were backward compatible with the Xbox 360 topped out at around 461.

I don't mind that list includes the Xbox Live Arcade titles. Hell, I'd be a little pissed if it didn't. I have a ton of those games, classic Sonic the Hedgehog, Doom, Double Dragon, the Sam 'n' Max games.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:27 AM   #4522
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
like 20% or retail games work..saying its backwards compatible is a stretch

they say there are like 200 games or something but they count games like hearts, spades, solitare...there 3 games lol
Lol ok maybe I don't mind leaving XBox anymore, if that's the case...why does it seem like technology is going backwards sometimes? In like 2003 my PS1 games ran great on my PS2. Why is this such a difficult concept now in 2016??
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #4523
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Lol ok maybe I don't mind leaving XBox anymore, if that's the case...why does it seem like technology is going backwards sometimes? In like 2003 my PS1 games ran great on my PS2. Why is this such a difficult concept now in 2016??
I think it comes down to cost vs. benefit, and the industry being a different animal then it was 15 years ago. For a PS4 or X1 to have had true full backwards compatibility, they basically need to squeeze the architecture of the old systems into the new box. Costs more to make, which increases the price of the system, which potentially impacts sales and profits. To what benefit? People playing old games they bought years ago? Nice and convenient for the customer, but ultimately a LOT of trouble for something pretty far down on a feature list.

Factor in that now they can emulate, port, and remaster a lot of those old games and release them digitally, and it starts becoming more apparent why they don't do it anymore. Sony tried with PS3 and it almost tanked the whole system -- it was only when they took it out and slashed the price that it started selling.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2016, 11:40 AM   #4524
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Factor in that now they can emulate, port, and remaster a lot of those old games and release them digitally, and it starts becoming more apparent why they don't do it anymore. Sony tried with PS3 and it almost tanked the whole system -- it was only when they took it out and slashed the price that it started selling.
Exactly. Hardware emulation is expensive on both the hardware and the software development side. Software-based backward compatibility has a cost from a software development perspective, and there's a performance trade-off.

You can either employ a dev team to port and re-master your last gen game and hope people buy it (including those who owned it on the previous gen console), or you can employ a dev team to create and package an emulation profile for a last gen title and hope people buy it, plus you reward users who have supported your platform. Backward compatibility is way less work once the initial groundwork for emulation has been completed. And for the most part, people get to keep their save-games (presuming they used the 'Cloud Save Games' feature and didn't save them to the HDD... and if you did, you can always go onto your 360 and move your saved games to the cloud storage).

I'll take backward compatibility over having to buy a next-gen remaster of the same game I already own. Yes, I re-bought GTA V, but they weren't about to release it on BC and it seems like the majority of the updates are going to be for the current gen versions anyway. I shake my fist at you, Rockstar, but you make such goddamn compelling titles.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:10 PM   #4525
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, both Sony and Microsoft have pointed to single digit percentages of people ever using backwards compatibility even once let alone in any substantial amount. It's a nice "check box" item to have I guess but it's not a big deal at all, especially in such small number of supported games (and most of those being game no one will ever go back to anyhow).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I'll take backward compatibility over having to buy a next-gen remaster of the same game I already own.
I'd rather get a remaster. If I'm going to bother going back to play an old game, I'd like to have it look and perform better. Otherwise, the old console is still there. Heck, a good number of these backward compatible games perform even worse than on the original old hardware.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:43 AM   #4526
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
There are a whole bunch of games that are working all of the rare games gears of war series fallout 3 deadspace Alan wake.plus i have played most of them and they don't have any performance issues at all they look exactly the same.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #4527
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I'd rather get a remaster. If I'm going to bother going back to play an old game, I'd like to have it look and perform better. Otherwise, the old console is still there. Heck, a good number of these backward compatible games perform even worse than on the original old hardware.
The old console is there right up until it isn't, which is a big argument against digital purchases... that you can't sell the games and once that generation of console is gone, the titles you once owned are effectively dead. It isn't like buying a classic 8-bit NES with a bin full of cartridges.

BC at least serves to alleviate the latter concern by making the games available longer. No one is going to go back and play NHL '07 or some damn thing, but the one-offs, of course. I still play some of the Xbox original titles I have on my 360. Hell, Metal Gear Solid and FFVII on the PS3, too.

In a digital marketplace, BC is awesome. Physical, meh, you can always sell the disc to GameStop and recoup a small portion of your purchase price.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:30 PM   #4528
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Such is the trade-off with software-based emulation. The 360 ran PPC-based architecture, whereas the One is X86. Unless you go the route of the launch PS3 which had PS2 hardware on the motherboard, you're going to run into that.

Current list is at 161 titles. Xbox classic titles that were backward compatible with the Xbox 360 topped out at around 461.

I don't mind that list includes the Xbox Live Arcade titles. Hell, I'd be a little pissed if it didn't. I have a ton of those games, classic Sonic the Hedgehog, Doom, Double Dragon, the Sam 'n' Max games.
Well those games are a far cry from solitaire

They promised 100 games by christmas and then included hearts, solitare, backgammon, not as a collection but counting as individual games

surely that was misleading...the average joe hears the xbone is now "backwards compatible" and assumes most 360 games now work which is certainly not the case.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:31 AM   #4529
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

We were playing COD:MW3 on a 150" Projector (awesome)

and it looked wwwwaaaaayyyyyy better on the ps4 than the xbone, it wasnt even close.

I thought the xbox had some minor lag with 4 players as well.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:02 PM   #4530
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well those games are a far cry from solitaire

They promised 100 games by christmas and then included hearts, solitare, backgammon, not as a collection but counting as individual games

surely that was misleading...the average joe hears the xbone is now "backwards compatible" and assumes most 360 games now work which is certainly not the case.
I'm not sure to whom/what you're arguing about here. 120 games were available by Christmas 2015 (public launch was in November, 104 titles), so even if you subtract the card games, the claim wasn't at all misleading. It was also made pretty clear that games are regularly being added to the list, insinuating that it doesn't include every game yet.

Don't take my word for it, the interwebs does a far better job archiving this stuff than I care to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._with_Xbox_One

It serves its purpose for me and that's really all I care about.

The technical aspect is really the interesting part for me since the console and the PC both run x86-based architecture and both run Threshold. Does this mean one day these back-compat games could be made available to PCs? One day, there will be a new generation of consoles, but with Xbox and PCs running the same OS core, there's less and less separating them.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:37 PM   #4531
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not arguing with anything except that saying the Xbone is "backwards compatible" is false...like I said 20% or so of retail games work, that number is far too low to make the claim IMO. Some select 360 games work but its not as if you can throw your 360 in the trash

again is not a bad feature I just think its a little misleading, hearing BC people would assume that most or all games work...they don't and never will. Part of the issue is licencing.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #4532
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
like I said 20% or so of retail games work
Is it even that high? More like single digit % probably, nevermind the selection not being all that great.

It's like that one Microsoft employee that signed up for an account here on CP just to post "THE XBOX ONE IS 4k READY!! OMGWTFBBQ!!" & "EVERY XBOX ONE GAME WILL USE KINECT!!"

The minimal backwards compatibility is a nice token "checkbox" list item on the side of the box for people who don't really know that it means but it doesn't really move the dial at all. Can't fault them for adding it though, I guess it's better than nothing. And they need all the selling points they can get with them falling so far behind this generation now.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:41 AM   #4533
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it even that high? More like single digit % probably, nevermind the selection not being all that great.
Since I'm a bit bored -- Wikipedia says there are 1,162 retail Xbox 360 games. NOT including digital.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360_games

There are 121 backwards compatibly games, INCLUDING digital.

http://www.xbox.com/en-ca/xbox-one/b...vailable-games

I went through and took out everything I knew for sure was just a digital game and was left with only 39 games. So, technically, only 3% of all retail games are backwards compatible.

Last edited by OutOfTheCube; 04-27-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #4534
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

So just over 3%?
Old 04-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #4535
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So just over 3%?
Yes, sorry, my brain fried for a second on the math there.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #4536
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yes, sorry, my brain fried for a second on the math there.
Oh no worries, I just still amazed that someone somewhere has been updating things like that console release schedule on wiki.

At a low single digit percentage of possible backwards compatibility, it's basically irrelevant for me. Nevermind that some of those games look or perform worse on the Xbone. I'll stick with my 360 thank you very much.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:23 AM   #4537
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The "Xbox One Two" coming soon!

Old 04-28-2016, 09:41 AM   #4538
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that's the Xbox One slim. Supposedly considerably smaller (2 lbs vs 7 lbs for XB1) than the XB1 and it's digital only. Don't think it's got any upgrade in processing.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #4539
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't see any posts but it looks like the Xbone S is out already. Not much point with them having already announced Scorpio coming soon. Might be worth it if you really wanted the drive right now though.

They've fixed their (misleading?) advertising for it. Gives you an idea of actual the size difference.

Actual:

Original announcement with the wrong information.

EDIT: Forgot that the 2TB version is apparently a "limited edition" version. The standard 500 GB and 1TB isn't limited though.

Last edited by chemgear; 08-18-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #4540
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the first gen PS3 and I like how big, bulky and shiny it is. It was my favorite toy for 10 years.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote