Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #4381
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
He only posts them when Xbox wins... so he doesn't get the opportunity very often!
That's old news. Knew weeks ago so if that was important to me I would have posted myself. I own both consoles and like both and since we are adults not kids I don't feel we need degenerate this place into the fanboy wars that make a lot of the comment sections on game websites unbearable.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #4382
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Ha! Sounds like you keep tabs on those sales numbers as well - you can post 'em too!
I'm all over the internet so yes I see all the sales but stuff like that and the graphics comparisons, etc but I don't feel the need to post links to stuff that I'm not overly excited about as to me the difference as the same as Xobox 360 and PS3 which is to say not much. I care more about stuff like why the MGS5 ending/s were so bizarre as I feel like the game was unfinished due to the whole Kojima leaving Konami thing.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #4383
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That's old news. Knew weeks ago so if that was important to me I would have posted myself. I own both consoles and like both and since we are adults not kids I don't feel we need degenerate this place into the fanboy wars that make a lot of the comment sections on game websites unbearable.
This is the thunderdome EE, you should be used to it by now.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #4384
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should be some big numbers for this holiday season!

http://news.xbox.com/2015/12/03/xbox...inues-to-rise/

A winning combination of the most critically acclaimed holiday lineup of exclusives in Xbox history,* the New Xbox One Experience complete with Backward Compatibility, and an extensive line-up of console bundles, drove record Xbox One sales in the U.S.** and Xbox Store sales worldwide, with record engagement from Xbox fans around the world*** over Black Friday week.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #4385
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

My PS4 is making me question whether or not to continue with the PC upgrades I had planned
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:17 PM   #4386
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Should be some big numbers for this holiday season!

http://news.xbox.com/2015/12/03/xbox...inues-to-rise/

A winning combination of the most critically acclaimed holiday lineup of exclusives in Xbox history,* the New Xbox One Experience complete with Backward Compatibility, and an extensive line-up of console bundles, drove record Xbox One sales in the U.S.** and Xbox Store sales worldwide, with record engagement from Xbox fans around the world*** over Black Friday week.
Sony had the same "news" about breaking records on their own site...both systems owned brack friday
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:07 AM   #4387
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got busy and missed the NPD's (North America only) from last week for November. Looks like a lot of PS4 console sales were back ended into November with people knowing the deals were coming. PS4 ends up on top for the month on nearly ten times the sales difference versus the previous month loss.

Interesting how the Xbone and Wii U numbers are almost the same from last year while PS4 almost doubles - probably the price drop taking effect.

The new Halo and Tomb Raider didn't do much to bump up sales at all.

Big news of the month is how bad Tomb Raider sales were at less than 200,000 apparently even with 360 versions included. It didn't show up in the top 10 in software and leaks indicated it wouldn't have even shown up in the top 20, outsold by things like Need for Speed and Just Dance. Hopefully things will pick up in a year when the exclusivity ends. Then again Square Enix was so disappointed with first month sales of 3-4 million of the previous Tomb Raider . . .
Old 12-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #4388
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's hilarious how badly the Tomb Raider deal worked out. I hope it discourages future exclusivity deals like that.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #4389
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Probably not. But it might well discourage the making of a Tomb Raider 3.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:25 AM   #4390
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Third game is already in development.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:25 AM   #4391
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I think it's hilarious how badly the Tomb Raider deal worked out. I hope it discourages future exclusivity deals like that.
Well, it's only been a month and they've already cut the price from $60 down to $40.

The UK early numbers were indeed a very good measure given how much market share they have for the worldwide Xbone footprint. Some rounded numbers from Bruno MB on Neogaf comparing the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot:

US launch month

Tomb Raider [All Formats] - 644,000
Rise of the Tomb Raider [All Formats] - 200,000 (-69%)

Bonus

Tomb Raider [Xbox 360] - 348,000
Rise of the Tomb Raider [All Formats] - 200,000 (-43%)

UK first week launch

Tomb Raider [All Formats] - 206,500
Rise of the Tomb Raider [All Formats] - 44,000 (-79%)

Bonus

Tomb Raider [Xbox 360] - 103,000
Rise of the Tomb Raider [Xbox One] - 37,400 (-64%)
Rise of the Tomb Raider [All Formats] - 44,000 (-57%)
Old 12-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #4392
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Third game is already in development.
Development is easily halted, suspended or cancelled if it is decided that continuing forward is throwing good money after bad. I hope not though. I really liked the first one, and will get the second when it hits PS4 - though thanks to the exclusivity-enforced wait, I'll just wait for it to drop in price after that release.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #4393
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think you can claim an exclusivity deal worked out poorly for a company until their product has hit all platforms. They may still make exactly what they were forecasting. Tomb Raider is coming to PC next month and we'll see how that impacts their sales numbers. I'll probably pick it up as I really enjoyed the last one.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #4394
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

On Xbox alone, the first month sales of TR2013 was over 800,000. If this version was less than a quarter of that, then this was a disaster, no matter how you try to rationalize it.

It will come out for other platforms, sure. But PC only accounted for 130k in the first month. PS4 was over 1.1 million. The PS4 release will be interesting for sure. How much more will they lose in sales on a game that will already be regarded as a sales bomb? OTOH, one also wonders how much Microsoft screwed Square-Enix on the release date. The PS4 and PC launches may do better, relatively, if the games aren't released against juggernauts like Fallout, Battlefront, Uncharted and Starcraft.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #4395
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
On Xbox alone, the first month sales of TR2013 was over 800,000. If this version was less than a quarter of that, then this was a disaster, no matter how you try to rationalize it.

It will come out for other platforms, sure. But PC only accounted for 130k in the first month. PS4 was over 1.1 million. The PS4 release will be interesting for sure. How much more will they lose in sales on a game that will already be regarded as a sales bomb? OTOH, one also wonders how much Microsoft screwed Square-Enix on the release date. The PS4 and PC launches may do better, relatively, if the games aren't released against juggernauts like Fallout, Battlefront, Uncharted and Starcraft.
Are you just blindly speculating? According to VGChartz, as of Nov 28, Rise of the Tomb Raider has sold over half a million copies on the Xbone and almost 140k on the 360.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #4396
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Whoops, nope. I made a mistake. I thought chemgear had said that 200k figure was for longer than just the first week. My bad.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:23 PM   #4397
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Are you just blindly speculating? According to VGChartz, as of Nov 28, Rise of the Tomb Raider has sold over half a million copies on the Xbone and almost 140k on the 360.
I think numbers from VGChartz is a little funky most of the time. Their hardware numbers don't update that often and many sites ban them (like GAF) as their numbers are often extrapolated/guessed/made up from many, many sources? I don't know their inner mechanisms very well but I generally take them with a big grain of salt.

For example, the half million Tomb Raider sales they have listed for the Xbone sales has 200,000 from the North America and 255,000 in Europe. Meanwhile, they track Xbone consoles in North America as 9.8 million and Europe at 4.5 million.

Is it possible that the purchase rate of the game is nearly 3 times higher in Europe than the US . . . maybe . . . but probably not very likely. Could be possible though I guess somehow.

Regardless of the VGChartz estimates, Square was bitterly disappointed with the 2013 Tomb Raider sales back in the day. It racked up 3.4 million in the first month alone but Square thought it (conservatively) would do at least 5-6 million.

Given the sales numbers (estimates or otherwise) we are seeing, I can't imagine that they are happy. I'd imagine Microsoft aren't super happy either. A brand new Halo and Tomb Raider didn't help move any more consoles than last year at all.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #4398
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Microsoft can't be happy at all. Launched two of their biggest exclusives of the year, had good value bundles, well received OS update, and were still flat in sales year over year.

Then you have the PS4 who had a huge increase YoY and killed them without really doing too much from an exclusive perspective.

I think even though it wasn't the greatest game, that the Star Wars: Battlefront marketing deal that Sony had pulled a lot of units in November, especially for that casual gamer who was jumping on the Star Wars hype.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #4399
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

when it comes to worldwide sales its over...xbone is not catching up ever

still a good console they just made some massive errors at launch and will never recover
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:41 AM   #4400
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do any of you use a gaming headset with PS4?

I am debating getting the Playstation Gold headset, but the Kingston HyperX Cloud also looks good.

If I step up to a headset it has to have surround sound, as otherwise it doesn't justify the cash to jump up from my pair of earbuds.

Any feedback on headsets?
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote