Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #2581
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
The price of the new metal gear game has completely plummeted its at 20$ right know on the Xbox store.
The new Metal Gear game (MGS V GZ) has always been $20 digitally for the Xbox 360. It costs more on the Xbox One.

The price has remained unchanged.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #2582
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
I can't see PS4 hardware sales changing much if at all seeing how they're supply constrained.
Sony stated that PS4 production has increased to coincide with the launch of Infamous. It's hard to tell since every retailer keeps selling out immediately, but the numbers in a couple of weeks should be interesting
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #2583
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
The price of the new metal gear game has completely plummeted its at 20$ right know on the Xbox store.
That's expected for a prologue game. It's really only 2 hours of gameplay and should be more a demo than anything else. They were really overcharging for it to begin with.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #2584
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bought PvZ GW and I didn't research it as it was $40 minus my gamer pointz loot; no single player game from another EA title. It has pretty good multi player but I can't help but feel that this is becoming a bit of a trend. I'm ok with that as long as we continue to see equal development on single player stuff too.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #2585
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
Bought PvZ GW and I didn't research it as it was $40 minus my gamer pointz loot; no single player game from another EA title. It has pretty good multi player but I can't help but feel that this is becoming a bit of a trend. I'm ok with that as long as we continue to see equal development on single player stuff too.
EA games need to be boycotted. They've taken so so many fantastic franchises and run them into the ground one way or another. Command and Conquer is one case, Wing Commander, PvZ from a nice low cost game with tons of value to a $40 steaming pile of shiet, the whole dungeon keeper F2P debacle, DLC hell... ($300+) for the Sims and omg... don't even get me started about how royally they screwed Simcity V. AAA prices for a limited gameplay experience is just another long list of crappy things they've done.

They've been pushing the anti consumer envelope for a long long time now and it has to stop. Just when you think they've learned their lesson they find some new and creative way to rape the consumer and yet people still buy into their hype machine every time they announce something "big". Only way to do this is by hitting them where it hurts, their wallets. Hopefully they die and smaller, better companies take it's place.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #2586
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
It'll be interesting to see the PS4 numbers over the next couple of weeks with the launch of Infamous Second Son. It's the first truly next gen game IMO, the graphics are incredible
I wouldn't call it truly next gen. I think it's fun but it's not a must play game and while the cut scenes character animation is amongst the best I've seen on a console the actual gameplay in the city doesn't blow me away. It's the same repetitious gameplay from the first titles and nothing earth shattering outside of great visuals. Don't get me wrong it's a good game and a must play given the dearth of good games on next gen systems but it's not a system seller or anything.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #2587
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I give Infamous a 8 out of 10. Reminds me of the Crackdown games which I enjoyed.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #2588
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
EA games need to be boycotted. They've taken so so many fantastic franchises and run them into the ground one way or another. Command and Conquer is one case, Wing Commander, PvZ from a nice low cost game with tons of value to a $40 steaming pile of shiet, the whole dungeon keeper F2P debacle, DLC hell... ($300+) for the Sims and omg... don't even get me started about how royally they screwed Simcity V. AAA prices for a limited gameplay experience is just another long list of crappy things they've done.

They've been pushing the anti consumer envelope for a long long time now and it has to stop. Just when you think they've learned their lesson they find some new and creative way to rape the consumer and yet people still buy into their hype machine every time they announce something "big". Only way to do this is by hitting them where it hurts, their wallets. Hopefully they die and smaller, better companies take it's place.
Don't forget all the Bioware franchises that EA ruined when they took over. Dragon Age, Mass Effect, KOTOR, all went to total crap when Bioware sold out
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #2589
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I wouldn't call it truly next gen. I think it's fun but it's not a must play game and while the cut scenes character animation is amongst the best I've seen on a console the actual gameplay in the city doesn't blow me away. It's the same repetitious gameplay from the first titles and nothing earth shattering outside of great visuals. Don't get me wrong it's a good game and a must play given the dearth of good games on next gen systems but it's not a system seller or anything.
Agreed its to early to call it a next gen game.Its way to early in the cycle it could have easily of been a ps3 game
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #2590
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there's anything more pathetic than nerds arguing about videogames, it's nerds calling for boycotts of videogame companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2014, 12:08 AM   #2591
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
If there's anything more pathetic than nerds arguing about videogames, it's nerds calling for boycotts of videogame companies.
EA has single-handedly ruined many a great gaming franchise by using their revenue approach, and even in design, and deserve the scrutiny they have received.

EA in turn can blame that on the purchasing habits of their customers, and their obligation to churn revenues to pay their bills. And to pay their investors.

Lets also give some allowance for the fact that its hard to follow up a franchise with even better games and you need to generate revenue to pay your programmers etc.

They are sitting on a goldmine and are producing awful games which ruin the value of their acquired IP. I think for me Dungeon Keeper was the breaking point. EA has to do better, or they're going to die.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:47 AM   #2592
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's "voting with your dollars!"

Or even better, you can track (add to) the votes for EA to be the worst in America for 3 years running!

http://consumerist.com/2014/03/21/ba...y-competition/

Seriously though, I enjoyed Jim Sterling's take on the poop that is the new Dungeon Keeper:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...3-Free-To-Wait
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #2593
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just wrapped infamous and it was a blast. The different powers all helped you navigate the City in interesting ways and how you approached battles differed depending on which power you had active. I liked the Neon the best but never really got to try out the concrete as much as I would have liked because you got it at the end. Story was interesting and Seattle looked really great graphically and was detailed intricately. Helped immerse you in the experience even more.

Plus there were lots of interesting side missions to keep the experience fresh. Lots of blast shards to collect but less than 2 which is a good thing. Plus there is an ongoing paper trail mission that is supposed to last for another 6 weeks. Played part 1 and 2 and it was tough but rewarding. You do parts in game and search for clues out of the game on your computer. An example is in one part you find a wallet in the game then search it on your computer for clues to find a phone number to track back in the game.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:41 AM   #2594
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cheapassgamers had a thread running about the Xbone price dripping down to 399 to match the PS4 on Amazon.com for a while. Price is back up now though.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/3...9-from-amazon/
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #2595
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last of Us will be available on PS4 this summer with the DLC and enhanced graphics.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/03/2...-playstation-4
Old 03-26-2014, 07:31 PM   #2596
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank god. At least now it'll be playable. I wonder if they'll let me exchange my PS3 copy for a discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #2597
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Thank god. At least now it'll be playable. I wonder if they'll let me exchange my PS3 copy for a discount.

Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #2598
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Last of Us will be available on PS4 this summer with the DLC and enhanced graphics.

Cool, really considered getting a PS3 just to see what all the fuss was about. Glad I can check it out on the PS4.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:22 AM   #2599
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post

Which means it'll probably be free to PS+ users a few months after that, if it follows Uncharted 3's path
Old 03-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #2600
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still needing a confirmation from Sony directly but I am extremely excited to play one of the most well reviewed games for the first time.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote