Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2017, 07:57 AM   #441
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

63 0 days without an incident.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #442
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
You have to be quite distracted to get hit by the trains here, you literally have to be walking towards the incoming train prior to turning onto the tracks.

I think about the only other thing the city could do for safety is place flashing lights into the tracks themselves.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:45 PM   #443
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
You have to be quite distracted to get hit by the trains here, you literally have to be walking towards the incoming train prior to turning onto the tracks.

I think about the only other thing the city could do for safety is place flashing lights into the tracks themselves.
Would not have mattered, they were distracted by their phone.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...n-ne-1.3992055

Investigators think the pedestrian, who was wearing headphones, was also distracted by his cellphone, said Sgt. Colin Foster with the traffic section.

"There's only so much we can do," he said, noting that ultimately it's up to pedestrians to be aware of their surroundings.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:21 PM   #444
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trapdoors. Solution to all of life's problems.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:55 AM   #445
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the physical pull gates are more affective than the maze gates. Placing a physical barrier that must be interacted with is better at breaking distraction than taking a step right or left.

This is the same style and cause as the Chinook incident last year. I wonder if you go back and look if we have any fatalities at pull style gates

The there's only so much we can do is a cop out when you know your user will be walking with headphones and looking at their cell phone.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:22 AM   #446
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think the physical pull gates are more affective than the maze gates. Placing a physical barrier that must be interacted with is better at breaking distraction than taking a step right or left.
People will always find a way (in a general comment sense - not knocking your pull versus maze gate thing). Hell, look at the multiple who pre-emptively open the gate before the train even starts moving so they can get a head start.

Last edited by chemgear; 02-22-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #447
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The there's only so much we can do is a cop out when you know your user will be walking with headphones and looking at their cell phone.
Not really. There *is* only so much you can do. The problem with making things idiotproof is that someone will build a better idiot.

And that, bluntly, is what happened here.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #448
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

It never ceases to amaze me that someone can be so engrossed in something else (their phone) as to be oblivious to an oncoming Train.

You're going to a train station, trains come and go from said station. Its their whole thing.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 09:01 AM   #449
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The only person I feel sorry for is the driver of the C-train.
Otherwise good that no one else got hurt. Luckily this person was walking distraced and not driving as the result could have been a lot worse for a lot of innocent people.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #450
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post

Ground level, upward pointing lights tied to the flashing signals would both work, and be cheap. We should try this.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knalus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #451
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

I actually know the guy who got hit at Shawnessy train station, he even put it up on facebook haha. Had his headphones in as well
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #452
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow, those Shawnessy videos are the epitome of stupid. Buddy would have just got off that train and completely forgot about it within 3 seconds of leaving?
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:19 AM   #453
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like there was a train coming from the other direction as well.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:20 AM   #454
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You're going to a train station, trains come and go from said station. Its their whole thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Buddy would have just got off that train and completely forgot about it within 3 seconds of leaving?
I'd like some kind of foolproof way of saving everybody, but if people willfully ignore the fact that they just got off a train to then willfully ignore and circumvent the sound warnings, visual warnings, and physical barriers to get run over by the same damn train they got off of moments earlier . . .

I mean, we can install disco ball or in-track lights every 20 centimeters that would require replacement, maintenance and changing in the hope of getting people's attention away from their phone for a moment, or escalate the sound warnings to the roar of a jet engine (F those nearby communities) to blast higher than their active noise cancelling headphones.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #455
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Electrify the gate, and come up with a snappy slogan, like "A little zap will save you from the dirt nap" or somesuch.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #456
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
The only person I feel sorry for is the driver of the C-train.
Otherwise good that no one else got hurt. Luckily this person was walking distraced and not driving as the result could have been a lot worse for a lot of innocent people.
I feel bad for the C-train driver too, and anyone that witnessed the accident. If this person had been listening to headphones alone, they likely could have seen it; if they had been using their phone alone, they likely would have heard it. But cellphone + headphones is extremely risky... especially around trains and/or traffic.

It's still really sad though, and I have a hard time judging someone who died from making a mistake when there are plenty of mistakes I've made, especially when younger, that could have resulted in my death as well. I just hope it serves to make the next person think twice before doing both things at once.
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:37 PM   #457
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
I actually know the guy who got hit at Shawnessy train station, he even put it up on facebook haha. Had his headphones in as well
I'm always curious about the aftermath of these situations. How much did he regret it? Did he realize he was a total idiot?
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:44 PM   #458
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
People will always find a way (in a general comment sense - not knocking your pull versus maze gate thing). Hell, look at the multiple who pre-emptively open the gate before the train even starts moving so they can get a head start.

Hahahahaha what a clown.

How do you get hit by the same train you JUST got off of?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #459
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

I live just down the block from this station..it is the third death since they put in the land crossing on the south side of the station. I understand it is a ####ty situation but honestly..I am dumbfounded at how many people get hit and killed by trains. They have tracks! just pay ##### attention when crossing them. Darwin Award winner #1275623786472649286384628923497283974
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #460
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this just a calgary thing? I mean, there are trains in other cities. Do they have the same numbers of accidents as we do?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote