Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #121
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
I agree with you - I would prefer to watch Sven over Jackman, who wouldn't?

But that is one of the reasons I don't run a hockey team. There is more to running a professional hockey team then pleasing fickle fans. The moment a team lets their fanbase start controlling on ice decisions is the moment they go 50+ years without a Stanley Cup.

It's easy to say that the coaches are in control and to pretend that there is some 3D chess game going on that we don't understand. However, most fans here are looking for the meritocracy to reign after years of mediocre effort. In that respect, if you ask most on this board who deserves to sit based on their play and play alone, Sven wouldn't be at the top of the list.

If Hartley had announced that Glencross was sitting, there wouldn't be an uproar. So the fans aren't really being fickle... they're just reacting to the obvious.

Last edited by Flames Fan, Ph.D.; 10-24-2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: uproar, not outroar
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flames Fan, Ph.D. For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #122
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Roger Millions@RogMillions16s

#Flames Baertschi didn't play for a while in Phx. "Kind of saw this coming." Says he has to look forward from today.

Roger Millions@RogMillions29s

#Flames Baertschi adds he been working on defensive game and working on the details to improve that aspect of the game.
He's got the right attitude at least.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #123
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Beartschi scratch is garbage. They have to do something to get him in the line up every night or his development is going to start to suffer and it will all be on Hartleys head. You gotta play the young guys in a rebuild.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #124
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Can we expect #FreeSven to be trending on twitter today?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #125
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty surprised to see Sven is going to be sat. I've really liked his game at all ends of the ice so far this year.

That said, I also am very willing to give this coaching staff and management the benefit of the doubt for now. This mass hysteria about how we treat young players is so un-warranted. First, everyone in the hockey world understands things change on teams.............they won't be holding the current management and coaching staff accountable for things Sutter did for example, so that "history" is irrelevant to this discussion. Second, people act like the Flames have had a gluten of young players that actually deserve to be in the NHL that have been denied opportunities..........they haven't. At best in recent years, we've had prospects that have deserved sniffs, nothing more.

To that point, I've actually been impressed with how this management has brought the few young guys along that do deserve to be here along. And that includes Brodie, Bouma, now Monahan (his brief stint) and of course Sven IMO is coming along nicely. Because of that, I'm gonig to trust the staff knows what they are doing with Sven and his development, and what kind of things need to be worked on and how. I will admit, as a fan I'm not seeing why they would sit Sven at this point...........but I also know they see and are exposed to a lot more than we are, and like I said, for now I have confidence they know what they are doing, as whatever it is seems to be working.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #126
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Young players are rich in gluten.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #127
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Baertschi getting scratched and not Jackman or even Glencross just seems ridiculous.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #128
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sticking veterans in the box you'd like to move doesn't help in moving them. Lots of angles can be at play. But yes, I agree both those guys have been hot garbage so far this year.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #129
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Sticking veterans in the box you'd like to move doesn't help in moving them. Lots of angles can be at play. But yes, I agree both those guys have been hot garbage so far this year.
If we're going to trade a guy and he's not playing well, I'd rather sit him. I don't want other scouts seeing how bad he has been.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #130
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that applies to Jackman, he's probably better off in the box, sitting Glencross would do nothing be de-value him.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #131
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, when you have zero value to begin with, sitting in the press box does not change that.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #132
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I think that applies to Jackman, he's probably better off in the box, sitting Glencross would do nothing be de-value him.
Why do people think Glencross is going to be traded? He has a NTC and I recall he said around the deadline last year that he would not waive it. Sit him in the pressbox so him, and the rest of the team, get the message that awful play won't be tolerated no matter who you are.

At least Baertschi has been trying to improve his game every night, Glencross just looks uninterested right now.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #133
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Why do people think Glencross is going to be traded?
I think it's a matter of "hoping" or "wishing", not "thinking".
Old 10-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #134
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Baertschi has been more effective than Jackman and Colborne

And he has worked harder than Glencross

Icetime has to be earned, but you also have to let kids play and grow (assuming they've earned it, which he has)

They are destroying his creativity and seem to be determined to turn him into a 3rd liner. It's sad to watch.
No kidding, I thought Baertschi has been one of the hardest skaters on this road trip. Could be because you watch for it now after Burke's comments, but it seems like he's skated a LOT more in all 3 zones than some of the other players on the team (Glencross for example). I like Hartley as a coach, but it's hard to see where he's coming from on this one.
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #135
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is going to light a fire under Sven who will have a huge game at home against the Caps on Saturday in front of the rest of the country on HNIC. Sven is going to be fine and I am not bent out of shape over this move.

On another note I am really excited to see Monahan with Cammy and Hudler who are the best offensive forwards for this team
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #136
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Also makes me think about how gaudreau is going to look at his opportunities on this team... He still isn't signed and he's a similar player to baertschi. The beating baertschi is taking from this organization might make gaudreau hesitant to sign.
Are you effing serious?
Old 10-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #137
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

some of you guys are just sounding like fanboys for certain players

young guy gets to watch a game to watch from the pressbox, its nothing new just in this day and age everything is DRAMA!

do you really think the Oilers think Gazdic is better than Yakupov...its the same as your Sven/Jackman comparison

sometimes it does a player good to watch a game
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #138
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Also makes me think about how gaudreau is going to look at his opportunities on this team... He still isn't signed and he's a similar player to baertschi. The beating baertschi is taking from this organization might make gaudreau hesitant to sign.
Hilarious, I almost wasn't expecting this to be brought up. Thanks for not letting me down.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #139
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufenstein View Post
Thought Baertschi has played well recently, at least in the offensive zone.
He actually started to win some board battles lately, which was rare in the first few games of the season and for the most part of the games he played in 12-13.
He looked more confident skating with the puck too.

Obviously there's something I don't see that the coaches do. Must be his work in the defensive and neutral zones as per Hartley. I'm fine with the scratch tonight, but hoping it's tonight only.
Post of the year candidate.....
Old 10-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #140
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The paranoia over Gaudreau not signing with us is a constant source of entertainment.

"Another 5 cm of snow last night? You have to think Gaudreau is looking at his options right now."
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to saillias For This Useful Post:

Tags
gtd , winwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin