Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #381
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, drives me absolutely batty hearing the crowd at the AESC cheer when the opposing team scores.

End of the second period and it's tied 3-3.

P.S., This game is also the first sell out in franchise history. Too bad the only reason it sold out was because their playing the Wolves.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #382
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice to hear the Heat winning in OT. Connelly with his first goal as a member of the Heat.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:49 PM   #383
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Nice to hear the Heat winning in OT. Connelly with his first goal as a member of the Heat.
A huge goal. The first time the Heat have ever beaten a Canucks farm team at home. Good to get that monkey off their back. I've never heard Pinder so happy before haha.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #384
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Calgary Sun's Wes Gilbertson is reporting that Max Reinhart and Joey Leach have been assigned to Abbotsford.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2012, 09:43 PM   #385
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
The Calgary Sun's Wes Gilbertson is reporting that Max Reinhart and Joey Leach have been assigned to Abbotsford.
I wonder how much they play? Ward didn't sound too happy-for the lack of a better phrase- when asked about having all these extra players around if I interpreted his comments correctly. Flames need to see how they play though sometime.

How big is the Heat dressing room anyway?
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #386
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post
I wonder how much they play? Ward didn't sound too happy-for the lack of a better phrase- when asked about having all these extra players around if I interpreted his comments correctly. Flames need to see how they play though sometime.

How big is the Heat dressing room anyway?
Not big enough for all the people they have. Ward is definitely put in a weird position that may or may not be in conflict with what they Flames want.

His dilemma is basically either a) make the playoffs and have a nice long playoff run at all costs, or b) play the young, prospects. It is possible to do both and ideally that would be awesome. I expect Reinhart and Leach to practice with the coaches and learn Ward's systems before they draw into the lineup (similar to what Elson has been doing). I just can't see Ward taking out Wilson, Connelly, Breen, Piskula, Carson, or Testwuide to put Leach in. The spares are likely going to be Leach and Lamb (Tuzzolino will probably be sent back to Alaska).

It's a similar situation with Reinhart and Elson. I can't see them getting in when you've got lines that are clicking VERY well right now in Sylvester/Byron/Kolanos, Jessiman/Walter/Rheault, and Horak/Laing/Nemisz. In addition there's an ever-changing 4th line whose only staples are Aliu and Desbiens. The other rotating 4th liners are Eddy, PL3, Bancks, and Ivanans. Plus, you've got Estoclet sitting and Howse who is now injured. To put it quite literally, Ward setting lineups each afternoon is going to be one hell of a cluster####.

The only thing that is certain right now is the goaltending situation. Irving is the starter and Taylor is the backup.

I don't think Ward was angry, but I would imagine it's a bit overwhelming having all these players on the roster that could fill in fairly well.

I'm very excited for the Heat right now because players are getting healthy and we've got all of the players that are supposed to be on the Heat back. The team is starting to look quite deep - maybe even deeper than at the beginning of the season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #387
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Not big enough for all the people they have. Ward is definitely put in a weird position that may or may not be in conflict with what they Flames want.

His dilemma is basically either a) make the playoffs and have a nice long playoff run at all costs, or b) play the young, prospects. It is possible to do both and ideally that would be awesome. I expect Reinhart and Leach to practice with the coaches and learn Ward's systems before they draw into the lineup (similar to what Elson has been doing). I just can't see Ward taking out Wilson, Connelly, Breen, Piskula, Carson, or Testwuide to put Leach in. The spares are likely going to be Leach and Lamb (Tuzzolino will probably be sent back to Alaska).

It's a similar situation with Reinhart and Elson. I can't see them getting in when you've got lines that are clicking VERY well right now in Sylvester/Byron/Kolanos, Jessiman/Walter/Rheault, and Horak/Laing/Nemisz. In addition there's an ever-changing 4th line whose only staples are Aliu and Desbiens. The other rotating 4th liners are Eddy, PL3, Bancks, and Ivanans. Plus, you've got Estoclet sitting and Howse who is now injured. To put it quite literally, Ward setting lineups each afternoon is going to be one hell of a cluster####.

The only thing that is certain right now is the goaltending situation. Irving is the starter and Taylor is the backup.

I don't think Ward was angry, but I would imagine it's a bit overwhelming having all these players on the roster that could fill in fairly well.

I'm very excited for the Heat right now because players are getting healthy and we've got all of the players that are supposed to be on the Heat back. The team is starting to look quite deep - maybe even deeper than at the beginning of the season.
Pinder indicated on Twitter that the Heat were eagerly anticipating Reinhart coming in. I'd imagine he slots in somewhere on the fourth line to start out, and then as circumstances dictate.

The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2012, 05:39 AM   #388
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Pinder indicated on Twitter that the Heat were eagerly anticipating Reinhart coming in. I'd imagine he slots in somewhere on the fourth line to start out, and then as circumstances dictate.
You would think that Joey Leach could also easily slot into the lineup aswell seeing as the Heat currently have two ECHL players patrolling the blueline.

Correction : Testwuide has never played in the ECHL, but nonetheless I cant imagine his spot is set in stone on the Heat's roster.

Last edited by HighLifeMan; 04-01-2012 at 05:42 AM.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #389
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

can't they also send players to the ECHL like they did with Patterson? I'm sure Utah could use a Bancks or Estoclet for their playoffs.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #390
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm guessing Bouma and Brodie will be sent down if they are healthy. They'd be a great help.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #391
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't imagine Reinhart not getting a lot of opportunities. I'd say, currently, outside of Kolanos, he'd be the best centre on the team.

Quote:
I'm guessing Bouma and Brodie will be sent down if they are healthy. They'd be a great help.
I think Brodie has officially graduated from prospect status, like Backlund the year before. I doubt we see him back in Abbotsford.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #392
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I can't imagine Reinhart not getting a lot of opportunities. I'd say, currently, outside of Kolanos, he'd be the best centre on the team.

I think Brodie has officially graduated from prospect status, like Backlund the year before. I doubt we see him back in Abbotsford.
I don't think he's on the clear day list, so I doubt he gets sent down. Same thing for Bouma. Of course, they still might since they can still play in the playoffs as long as there are enough injuries on the team.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sworkhard For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #393
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They're not on the clear day roster: http://theahl.com/2012-clear-day-lis...ounced-p176440

Quote:
Each Clear Day roster consists of a maximum of 22 players. According to AHL by-laws, only those players listed on a team’s Clear Day roster are eligible to compete in the remainder of the 2011-12 AHL regular season and in the 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs, unless emergency conditions arise as a result of recall, injury or suspension.

Teams may also add signed draft choices and players signed to amateur tryout contracts, provided that their respective junior or college seasons are complete.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #394
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
They're not on the clear day roster: http://theahl.com/2012-clear-day-lis...ounced-p176440

Thanks for the information; I forgot all about the Clear Day Roster.
I am interested in knowing IF the HEat do have injuries and Reinhart and/or Leach play, do the number of games they play, affect their contract status?

In other words, if they play more than nine? games, does a "contract year" expire?
Old 04-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #395
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the information; I forgot all about the Clear Day Roster.
I am interested in knowing IF the HEat do have injuries and Reinhart and/or Leach play, do the number of games they play, affect their contract status?

In other words, if they play more than nine? games, does a "contract year" expire?
No I don't think so. I'm assuming they'd be signed to an ATO for the rest of this season much like Eddy and Elson.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesrule14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #396
Jaybird
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
can't they also send players to the ECHL like they did with Patterson? I'm sure Utah could use a Bancks or Estoclet for their playoffs.
A player can't play in the ECHL playoffs unless they have played 5 regular season games. Quite frankly I think it is bizarre having all those players with the heat.
Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaybird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #397
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
You would think that Joey Leach could also easily slot into the lineup aswell seeing as the Heat currently have two ECHL players patrolling the blueline.

Correction : Testwuide has never played in the ECHL, but nonetheless I cant imagine his spot is set in stone on the Heat's roster.
I believe Testwuide was brought in specifically for veteran leadership and experience for the playoffs, so I can't see him losing his spot in the lineup. I agree with you, I'd much rather have a young guy get in, but I know Ward is pretty high on Testwuide so I don't think he's going anywhere. Besides, even if there is a spot available, I would expect Lamb would get that spot over Leach just due to experience and maturity.

Quote:
You're probably right. Reinhart will be one of the better centres on the team, but oddly enough Kolanos doesn't play centre on the Heat - he's usually a LW. I'd say Walter is definitely our #1 centre. Byron is probably #2 and after that you've got Reinhart and Laing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #398
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames have a high opinion of Ward as a talent evaluator, so a LOT of the point of having these kids in with Troy during the stretch drive is so he can figure out how they slot in for next year (and to see if they can handle pressure situations).

Reinhart is the most likely to slot in given his Memorial Cup experience, I'd say.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #399
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing that Reinhart was able to prove last year is that he can take his game to the next level when the playoffs come.

Hopefully, they can go on a long run this year. It's crazy that with only 6 games left, they're sitting in 4th place, but could still miss the playoffs.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #400
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like that players will have the pressure to perform with so many bodies around. It says only players with signed contracts from the dub can go to the AHL, does that mean that Leach is signed in at least some respect?

Tags
heat