Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2017, 11:49 PM   #181
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
What difference does that make?

He flung his arm with the intent to clock Doughty in the face. It was fast, sneaky and a no-look move, so it didn't land with precision... but it was clear what he was trying to do. Your post and the one above it are a couple in a small faction of fans attempting to stick their head in the sand and pretend like it didn't happen.

What's the big deal in calling a spade a spade when it comes to the team we cheer for?

It was a lapse in judgement, but a dirty play nonetheless. He knew exactly what he was doing.
I think The Fonz was being a bit facetious with his post
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 11:58 PM   #182
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
"But they do it too" isn't a good look for anyone over the age of 9.

There has never been 100 per cent consistency in suspensions in the NHL or any other pro sports league. A lot of subjective factors play into it. In this case, targeting the head, and several other dangerous plays in a short period of time by Tkachuk, one of which he was warned by the league about.
100%? I don't think it is even 5%.

Blows to the head, if the nhl is really serious about it, would be looked at consistently. and isn't that just the word eh? "subjective" factors. or put another way, "but some animals are more equal than others".
Old 03-21-2017, 12:25 AM   #183
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
I still, don't understand why the retaliation elbow is justified. Within moments of the play Tcachuk is chased down and elbowed in clear retaliation.

The league ruling makes no sense in that they don't want this behaviour, but both teams engaged.

That is the frustrating part.
1) League's consistency in its inconsistencies.
2) Didn't look like an elbow from Pearson (?) to me.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:30 AM   #184
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I think The Fonz was being a bit facetious with his post
It's hard to tell around here. There's been a handful of people who seem to genuinely pushing that narrative.

Mind bottling.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 06:10 AM   #185
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionX View Post

Am I surprised Tkachuk got suspended? No. Do I think it warranted a suspension? Ya, it was a pretty nasty shot though I still don't think there was malice/intent to injure. Importantly however, do I think Tkachuk should be have been suspended by the NHL? The answer frustratingly to this question in my mind is no, and I think that's why so many, including myself are unhappy with this ruling and not at all because we are rose-tinted goggle-wearing Flames homers.
so you think it warranted a suspension but not by the NHL. by who, then?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:23 AM   #186
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

It bothers me when the fanbase gets biased for their players and think they can never be wrong.

Tkachuk made a suspendable play, he got suspended for two games. He and the team will move on from this.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 06:25 AM   #187
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Alot of whataboutism in this thread which is one of the worst arguments you can make.

Quote:
When you deflect criticism by pointing out flaws in your opponent, specifically using the phrase "what about x?" This is an attempt to excuse you from changing you behavior by painting your opponent as a hypocrite.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...m=whataboutism
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:46 AM   #188
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A valuable lesson for all of us, Tinordi. Thank you for that here in this thread about a hockey player being suspended.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #189
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

The possible silver lining out of this? Tkachuk just recently missed a game with an injury, so if it is something that is nagging him a couple games of rest might not be the end of the world for him.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:20 AM   #190
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:20 AM   #191
Gizmo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
It was only a matter of time before Tkachuk ended up suspended, given his on-the-edge style of play.
Probably the best way to put it. He's had a smaller sample size, but given the edge he brings with his game, I expect this to be somewhat of a typical occurrence for Tkachuk. Effective players of that type (Marchand and Gallagher being the first that come to mind) find their way in the press box here and there for sticking to the way they play.

Not something I would ever hope for as I wasn't a fan of the elbow, but Tkachuk will draw plenty of attention from the DoPS over his career imo.
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:27 AM   #192
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
What difference does that make?

He flung his arm with the intent to clock Doughty in the face. It was fast, sneaky and a no-look move, so it didn't land with precision... but it was clear what he was trying to do. Your post and the one above it are a couple in a small faction of fans attempting to stick their head in the sand and pretend like it didn't happen.

What's the big deal in calling a spade a spade when it comes to the team we cheer for?

It was a lapse in judgement, but a dirty play nonetheless. He knew exactly what he was doing.
I am pretty sure the Fonz was taking a jab at my post.

But i am serious. After watching the NHL's video i don't see it the way they, or you, do. I saw it as Tkachuk is getting ready for some contact on a contested puck. He throws his body back and his elbow comes up and hits Doughty in the chest and his shoulder hits Doughty's face.

That's just just the way i see it, don't lump the Fonz in with dolts like me.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #193
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought he'd get one, and hoped for a fine. I guess I can't complain it was one more than I expected, since I hoped for one less.

It's a tad harsh, but as someone said, it's the most common suspension length. They also might be trying to send a sharper message to a kid who has already been warned (that doesn't make him an official repeat offender though).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #194
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Tkachuk suspended 2 games for elbowing Doughty

If this was Malkin, he would have got away with it - no question. Malkin's hit on Wheeler was worse/equal to this, but he gets treated different.

The NHL's supplemental discipline is not "justice". It's arbitrary and ridiculous.

I guess this is the world we live in now, and it sucks. Where are the journalists who should be holding the league accountable for these inconsistencies? Instead they're all focused on asking "what do you need to do tonight in order to win?" and they then sit by with their jaw agape as they get the same ol' "gotta go out there and put in 100% and get pucks to the net".
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #195
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

So a portion of fans are calling people who disagree with the punishment as homers and wearing Flames goggles.

Yet those same people justify the punishment by saying, well y'know he did the slewfoot, and the slash, and the cheap shot, and this and that. Is he being punished for the elbow or for his entire career transgressions? If its the latter, then the punishment IS to harsh. The elbowing incident in isolation doesn't deserve any suspension at all.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #196
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was it just me or did there seem to be more internet hub bub about this incident. I don't recall all this media/twitter hoopla for the Hall elbow. Honestly, until it was shown here I don't recall hearing about it. I think that is part of reason for the suspension as there was a lot of discussion about it. It is much easier to sweep things under the mat when there is no one looking. Here I thought playing in the West no one cared.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #197
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Was it just me or did there seem to be more internet hub bub about this incident. I don't recall all this media/twitter hoopla for the Hall elbow. Honestly, until it was shown here I don't recall hearing about it. I think that is part of reason for the suspension as there was a lot of discussion about it. It is much easier to sweep things under the mat when there is no one looking. Here I thought playing in the West no one cared.
I do think the publicity was a factor. Starting with Shannon going on about it.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #198
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I do think the publicity was a factor. Starting with Shannon going on about it.
Maybe, but lets get serious here. No one watches Shannon nor that intermission garbage Sportsnet puts out.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 09:05 AM   #199
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

In the same boat as many, seems like a fair punishment but just wish they were more consistent across the league.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #200
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Now I am not arguing he shouldn't have got some kind of supplemental discipline, but other that not having the puck I really don't see a lot of difference between MT's hit and Greene's on the video, if anything Greene's follow through has his elbow much higher than MT's was.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post: