Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2017, 06:55 PM   #141
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

To Americans, it's neighbors.
whoosh
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:00 PM   #142
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ We'll see how long u guys can hold out.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:03 PM   #143
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

such an unbelievably American thing to say
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #144
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if it's a shift to the right in canada but their is definitely a shift toward populism, sports team politics, questionable sourcing of information, and turning politics into a moral question with a right answer instead of a discussion of ideas.

Policy wise I don't think we have seen a shift to the right but attitude and delivery wise we are mimicking some of the worst traits of US politics.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 12:46 PM   #145
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
To Americans, it's neighbors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
whoosh
Quote:
^^^ We'll see how long u guys can hold out.
Quote:
I think this about sums up the humour and humility of Americans.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:04 PM   #146
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I think this about sums up the humour and humility of Americans.
Speaking of needing to "buy" a sense of humor (there's a "u" for "u" guys). Language and spelling are just a couple of things that will face the cultural challenge in years to come. And speaking to humility, look in the mirror. There are plenty of Canadians who have done damn well at adopting the same level of humility of their American cousins, and you easily fall into that group friend.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:41 PM   #147
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is New Era American?
Always thought he was from some planet where inhabitants love to type longer then needed and argue endlessly.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
V
Old 07-31-2017, 08:35 AM   #148
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm guilty of intentionally using the American spelling.

The extra "u" looks so unnatural to me.

Harbor / Harbour
Labor / Labour

My mind automatically wants to pronounce the word as Harboor or Laboor.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:40 AM   #149
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don't know if it's a shift to the right in canada but their is definitely a shift toward populism, sports team politics, questionable sourcing of information, and turning politics into a moral question with a right answer instead of a discussion of ideas.

Policy wise I don't think we have seen a shift to the right but attitude and delivery wise we are mimicking some of the worst traits of US politics.
You act like this is new. While Trump and the current Republican mindset is easily the most blatant, in your face example of it we've seen in either country, the reality is that these attitudes have been the norm for a loooong time now.

eg: Soldiers... with guns... in our streets.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:03 AM   #150
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I'm guilty of intentionally using the American spelling.

The extra "u" looks so unnatural to me.

Harbor / Harbour
Labor / Labour

My mind automatically wants to pronounce the word as Harboor or Laboor.
That is a very subtle change that is an adoption of the American cultural norm. The longer I live down here and see the struggle of other cultures in maintaining their language and customs I gain a little more appreciation for the Francophone desire to maintain their culture and language in Canada. Keep your "u" and your "eh" as it is part of being Canadian.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:10 AM   #151
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
You act like this is new. While Trump and the current Republican mindset is easily the most blatant, in your face example of it we've seen in either country, the reality is that these attitudes have been the norm for a loooong time now.

eg: Soldiers... with guns... in our streets.
I think the attitudes have been there but the line you aren't allowed to cross has moved further out. Attack ads are expected and no longer a controversial thing. I think the fact that it is much more in your face is the proof of the slowly boiling Frog.

The other thing that is happening is the more extreme positions are winning. Scheer would have never won in a major party because electability used to be a concern but the new model is energize the base and denergise the opposition to win on turnout. In that environment cross floor electability doesn't matter.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 11:43 AM   #152
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think the attitudes have been there but the line you aren't allowed to cross has moved further out. Attack ads are expected and no longer a controversial thing. I think the fact that it is much more in your face is the proof of the slowly boiling Frog.

The other thing that is happening is the more extreme positions are winning. Scheer would have never won in a major party because electability used to be a concern but the new model is energize the base and denergise the opposition to win on turnout. In that environment cross floor electability doesn't matter.
I agree, it's been a slow subtle process. Like most things though, it's unlikely there will be any attempt to address it until it gets to a point where it is too far gone. It would be nice if the voting public took these issues more seriously and demanded some reforms to the system, I personally believe there should be limits imposed on political contributions from any source. Bernie Sanders proved you can still run a campaign at a grassroots level without major sponsorship, hopefully people realize if all candidates were made to do the same the result would be more effective public service and less serving the interests of major sponsors.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:05 PM   #153
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Echo chamber media sources are getting worse too. We're not even arguing over commonly-understood issues any more, but unapologetically partisan spins on those issues.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 04:28 PM   #154
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Speaking of needing to "buy" a sense of humor (there's a "u" for "u" guys). Language and spelling are just a couple of things that will face the cultural challenge in years to come. And speaking to humility, look in the mirror. There are plenty of Canadians who have done damn well at adopting the same level of humility of their American cousins, and you easily fall into that group friend.

I actually have a lot of humility (to a fault) it just gets lost in text and my dry sarcasm. Could be the same for you, I guess.

Last edited by jayswin; 07-31-2017 at 04:30 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:41 PM   #155
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I actually have a lot of humility (to a fault) it just gets lost in text and my dry sarcasm. Could be the same for you, I guess.
I'm sarcastic to a fault, and that burns me on boards like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 07:48 PM   #156
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Is it a nastier level of discourse in politics in 2017 on CP than it was 10 years ago or more on CP?

Genuinely curious for the old timers here.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #157
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I noticed that "zed" seems to be being phased out in favour of the American "zee", on Canadian programs. I'm not sure if schools are following the same.

We have already pretty much lost chesterfield to couch or sofa. I am probably one of the last hold outs for that one. I also still insist of calling TV shows "programs", which probably makes me sound like an 80 year old.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 08-03-2017 at 09:25 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:12 AM   #158
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I noticed that "zed" seems to be being phased out in favour of the American "zee", on Canadian programs. I'm not sure if schools are following the same.

We have already pretty much lost chesterfield to couch or sofa. I am probably one of the last hold outs for that one. I also still insist of calling TV shows "programs", which probably makes me sound like an 80 year old.
You can even take that further. What's your favorite TV program? Who is your favorite band, and where are they from? What social cues do you follow? Are you a CFL fan, or a NFL fan? Do you know more about the American civil war or the Red River rebellion? Canada is becoming much more Americanized, in almost every way. When driving around up there, the only thing that let me know I was Canada instead of the States was the Tim Hortons, Winners, and A&Ws. Beyond that the streetscapes were very similar, albeit cleaner.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #159
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Is it a nastier level of discourse in politics in 2017 on CP than it was 10 years ago or more on CP?

Genuinely curious for the old timers here.
Not really. Politics always gets people fired up. Always has, always will.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:15 AM   #160
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can even take that further. What's your favorite TV program? Who is your favorite band, and where are they from? What social cues do you follow? Are you a CFL fan, or a NFL fan? Do you know more about the American civil war or the Red River rebellion? Canada is becoming much more Americanized, in almost every way. When driving around up there, the only thing that let me know I was Canada instead of the States was the Tim Hortons, Winners, and A&Ws. Beyond that the streetscapes were very similar, albeit cleaner.
There are definitely A&Ws in the States. Their tagline is "All American Food"
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote