Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-27-2008, 07:36 PM   #21
Fobby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
How about a list of Sushi restaurants in Calgary that are actually Japanese?
I believe Sushi Kinjo, Sushi Kawa, Sushi Hana, Hibiki, and Zipang are all run by Japanese

Globefish in Kennsington used to be. Don't know anymore.
Fobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #22
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently read a book about parasites. I don't see myself eating sushi anytime soon. Not sure if it's anymore dangerous than other restaurants, but still...
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #23
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/cens...nority&Custom=

Stats Canada lists there being over 65,000 Chinese and over 70,000 South and Southeast Asians in Calgary as of 2006. In comparison, there was less than 5000 Japanese.

Assuming all Japanese Calgarians DON'T own sushi restaurants, there are likely more non-Japanese Asians owning these restaurants. I've heard Chinese being spoken in Japanese restaurants on more than a few occasions.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:15 PM   #24
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having been on a research trip with marine biologists, eating Sushi, and ocean fish in general is pure evil. Common fishing practices such as long lining are destroying the ecosystem at a drastic/alarming pace.

There are a number of articles on this topic - this whole transcript was interesting:
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/scienceshow...06/1766715.htm
Quote:
The figure that emerges is that we have about 10% of the biomass of large fish left...or less in most cases. And that means where we had ten tonnes per square kilometre of large fish we have now one tonne or less, and for some of these large predators such as sharks, it is one in a hundred that is left, not one in ten.
Think of that the next time you're tucking into your tuna. Shrimp is even worse as 90% of the catch is "bi-catch" which just gets tossed back into the ocean dead or dying.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice

Last edited by FurnaceFace; 07-27-2008 at 08:17 PM.
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #25
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
Having been on a research trip with marine biologists, eating Sushi, and ocean fish in general is pure evil. Common fishing practices such as long lining are destroying the ecosystem at a drastic/alarming pace.

There are a number of articles on this topic - this whole transcript was interesting:
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/scienceshow...06/1766715.htm

Think of that the next time you're tucking into your tuna. Shrimp is even worse as 90% of the catch is "bi-catch" which just gets tossed back into the ocean dead or dying.

If I can get over eating cows, fish don't have a chance. Besides...sushi is so yummie
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:29 PM   #26
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
If I can get over eating cows, fish don't have a chance. Besides...sushi is so yummie
It is yummie, I love it, but have made a conscious choice to not eat it given the fishing practices, and how depletion of the ocean will have an adverse affect on the world. Many people don't understand what happens out there and I find once they do, they are more conscious of their choice.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:04 AM   #27
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
As a side note, almost all Sushi restaurants in Calgary are actually run by Chinese and Korean owners and kitchen staff and not Japanese.

sushi zaipang and wa's would be 2 that I recommend. In my opinion, much better then the all you can eat places listed here. You do get what you pay for when it comes to sushi.
Flaming Choy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:20 AM   #28
Beefcake
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
I assume you've seen "Shark Water" (http://www.sharkwater.com/)? Very well done movie that really opens your eyes to how we (humans) are devastating the fish/shark/etc populations.
Beefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #29
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobby View Post
I believe Sushi Kinjo, Sushi Kawa, Sushi Hana, Hibiki, and Zipang are all run by Japanese

Globefish in Kennsington used to be. Don't know anymore.
Sushi Bar Miki on 16th near Bowness is run by Japanese as well, pretty small place but there are things on the menu there I never see in other sushi places in town.... not an all you can eat though.
darockwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:46 AM   #30
Gallick
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
Whatever you do, do NOT go to Sushi BBQ Inn across from SAIT. Just garbage food.
Seconded.
Gallick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:56 AM   #31
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I've never been a fan of the all-you-can-eat Sushi experience. I'm not sure what the point is. Would you ever find a "eat as much as you want until you're full" place in Japan?

I think Sushi is a food that really should not be provided as an all-you-can-eat food...especially the quality that you often get with those prices and quantities.

Go for some high quality sushi in smaller amounts and enjoy every morsel. Have some other foods prior, like cold Japanese buckwheat noodles (delicious) instead of the usual sushi and tempura that everybody does in North America.

I went to Sushi Towa and 8 pieces of their great sushi rolls and a beer filled me quite happily.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #32
chid
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^^
Thats 'coz the Sushi Towa rolls are HUGE, and oh so delicious. I could only have 3 or 4 of their rolls.
chid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:28 AM   #33
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I've never been a fan of the all-you-can-eat Sushi experience. I'm not sure what the point is. Would you ever find a "eat as much as you want until you're full" place in Japan?

I think Sushi is a food that really should not be provided as an all-you-can-eat food...especially the quality that you often get with those prices and quantities.

Go for some high quality sushi in smaller amounts and enjoy every morsel. Have some other foods prior, like cold Japanese buckwheat noodles (delicious) instead of the usual sushi and tempura that everybody does in North America.

I went to Sushi Towa and 8 pieces of their great sushi rolls and a beer filled me quite happily.
I agree! Check out Misato's if you have a chance as well. Huge rolls and you end up spending less money then all you can eat places. Plus I find that I try to get my money's worth when I go to all you can eat and consquently I have stomach pains for the rest of the evening.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #34
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
As a side note, almost all Sushi restaurants in Calgary are actually run by Chinese and Korean owners and kitchen staff and not Japanese.

Globe Fish is Japanese owned and operated. I think Towa might too actually. At the very least Towa has a number of Japanese staff. Oh and there's that place on MacLeod just south of Chinook that's owned by Peter-san. who's Japanese. He always greets all his customers, though if you're not with a "pretty lady" he'll threaten you with his cleaver lol.

Anyway I love walking into those restaurants because the staff greet you with "irrashaimasu!" as soon as you enter the door, like in Japan!
Old 08-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #35
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
Whatever you do, do NOT go to Sushi BBQ Inn across from SAIT. Just garbage food.
And, for the interested, here is the Sushi BBQ Inn Inspection Report since Jan 1 08 from the CHR:

Critical Date Violation Rational/Requirement Cleared
Yes Jun 27, 2008 CONTAMINATION GENERAL - Food in this food establishment is not being protected from contamination. No owner of a food establishment shall display, keep, store, or transport food unless it is protected from contamination.
No Jun 27, 2008 REPAIR/CLEAN/NUISANCE - The equipment is not in good repair, is constructed in a manner that is causing or will cause contamination of food, and/or is not being maintained in a clean condition. All equipment must be kept in good working order and condition, maintained in a manner that ensures the safe and sanitary handling of food, and washed and sanitized in a manner that removes contamination.
No Jun 27, 2008 FOOD/UTENSIL STORAGE - Foods and/or utensils are not being stored in a satisfactory manner. All food, equipment, and utensils must be protected from contamination and stored in a safe and sanitary manner. Food, equipment, and utensils shall not be stored in a washroom or any area of potential contamination.
No Jun 27, 2008 REPAIR/CLEAN/NUISANCE - The equipment is not in good repair, is constructed in a manner that is causing or will cause contamination of food, and/or is not being maintained in a clean condition. All equipment must be kept in good working order and condition, maintained in a manner that ensures the safe and sanitary handling of food, and washed and sanitized in a manner that removes contamination.
Yes Jun 25, 2008 MANUAL METHOD (CLEAN IN PLACE) - Utensils (specifically large items) and equipment such as tables and counters for use in this food establishment are not being cleaned and sanitized properly. When utensils and equipment are washed manually in a food establishment, cleaning and sanitizing shall conform to the method noted. Jun 27, 2008
Yes Jun 25, 2008 CONTAMINATION GENERAL - Food in this food establishment is not being protected from contamination. No owner of a food establishment shall display, keep, store, or transport food unless it is protected from contamination.
Yes Jun 25, 2008 VERMIN (EVIDENCE ON SITE) - Vermin have been allowed to enter this food establishment. The owner of a food establishment shall not allow cockroaches, silverfish, rodents or other vermin to enter or remain in his food establishment. Jun 27, 2008
Yes Jun 25, 2008 HANDWASHING - Food handlers at this food establishment are not washing their hands frequently and/or in a proper manner. Food handlers engaged in food handling shall wash their hands after activities such as taking a coffee or smoke break, using the washroom, sneezing, handling soiled articles, etc. Jun 27, 2008
Yes Jun 25, 2008 TEMP CNTRL/HANDLING (GENERAL) - Perishable foods in this food establishment are not being kept at a proper temperature or are otherwise not being handled in a safe manner. The owner shall ensure that perishable food is kept at all times at a temperature that is below 4øC or above 60øC. The owner shall also ensure that perishable food is handled in a manner designed to overcome the possibility of its becoming a vehicle for the transmission of disease. Jun 27, 2008
No Jun 25, 2008 REPAIR/CLEAN/NUISANCE - The equipment is not in good repair, is constructed in a manner that is causing or will cause contamination of food, and/or is not being maintained in a clean condition. All equipment must be kept in good working order and condition, maintained in a manner that ensures the safe and sanitary handling of food, and washed and sanitized in a manner that removes contamination. Jun 27, 2008
No Jun 25, 2008 CLEAN/GOOD REPAIR - This food establishment is not being kept clean and in good repair. The owner of a food establishment shall ensure that the food establishment is maintained in a clean and sanitary condition, in good repair and in sound condition. Jun 27, 2008
No Jun 25, 2008 CLEAN/GOOD REPAIR - This food establishment is not being kept clean and in good repair. The owner of a food establishment shall ensure that the food establishment is maintained in a clean and sanitary condition, in good repair and in sound condition. Jun 27, 2008
No Jun 25, 2008 REPAIR/CLEAN/NUISANCE - The equipment is not in good repair, is constructed in a manner that is causing or will cause contamination of food, and/or is not being maintained in a clean condition. All equipment must be kept in good working order and condition, maintained in a manner that ensures the safe and sanitary handling of food, and washed and sanitized in a manner that removes contamination.
No Jun 25, 2008 REPAIR/CLEAN/NUISANCE - The equipment is not in good repair, is constructed in a manner that is causing or will cause contamination of food, and/or is not being maintained in a clean condition. All equipment must be kept in good working order and condition, maintained in a manner that ensures the safe and sanitary handling of food, and washed and sanitized in a manner that removes contamination. Jun 27, 2008
No Jun 25, 2008 VERMIN PROOFING - This food establishment is not properly constructed and/or managed to prevent the entry of vermin. A food establishment shall be constructed and maintained to prevent the entry of cockroaches, silverfish, rodents, flies, and other vermin. Jun 27, 2008
No Jun 25, 2008 REPAIR/CLEAN/NUISANCE - The equipment is not in good repair, is constructed in a manner that is causing or will cause contamination of food, and/or is not being maintained in a clean condition. All equipment must be kept in good working order and condition, maintained in a manner that ensures the safe and sanitary handling of food, and washed and sanitized in a manner that removes contamination.
No Jun 25, 2008 FLOORS - The surface of the floors in this food establishment are not acceptable. The surface of floors shall be smooth, impervious to moisture, and easily cleanable where food is prepared or processed, utensil/equipment cleaning areas, walk-in coolers and freezers, where opened foods are stored, and in rooms containing handwash basins, toilets, or showers. Jun 27, 2008
No Jun 25, 2008 FOOD/UTENSIL STORAGE - Foods and/or utensils are not being stored in a satisfactory manner. All food, equipment, and utensils must be protected from contamination and stored in a safe and sanitary manner. Food, equipment, and utensils shall not be stored in a washroom or any area of potential contamination.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #36
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes May 01, 2008 MANUAL METHOD (CLEAN IN PLACE) - Utensils (specifically large items) and equipment such as tables and counters for use in this food establishment are not being cleaned and sanitized properly. When utensils and equipment are washed manually in a food establishment, cleaning and sanitizing shall conform to the method noted.
Yes May 01, 2008 CONTAMINATION GENERAL - Food in this food establishment is not being protected from contamination. No owner of a food establishment shall display, keep, store, or transport food unless it is protected from contamination.
No May 01, 2008 REPAIR/CLEAN/NUISANCE - The equipment is not in good repair, is constructed in a manner that is causing or will cause contamination of food, and/or is not being maintained in a clean condition. All equipment must be kept in good working order and condition, maintained in a manner that ensures the safe and sanitary handling of food, and washed and sanitized in a manner that removes contamination.
No May 01, 2008 FLOORS - The surface of the floors in this food establishment are not acceptable. The surface of floors shall be smooth, impervious to moisture, and easily cleanable where food is prepared or processed, utensil/equipment cleaning areas, walk-in coolers and freezers, where opened foods are stored, and in rooms containing handwash basins, toilets, or showers.
No May 01, 2008 FOOD/UTENSIL STORAGE - Foods and/or utensils are not being stored in a satisfactory manner. All food, equipment, and utensils must be protected from contamination and stored in a safe and sanitary manner. Food, equipment, and utensils shall not be stored in a washroom or any area of potential contamination.
Yes Apr 23, 2008 MANUAL METHOD (CLEAN IN PLACE) - Utensils (specifically large items) and equipment such as tables and counters for use in this food establishment are not being cleaned and sanitized properly. When utensils and equipment are washed manually in a food establishment, cleaning and sanitizing shall conform to the method noted.
Yes Apr 23, 2008 CONTAMINATION GENERAL - Food in this food establishment is not being protected from contamination. No owner of a food establishment shall display, keep, store, or transport food unless it is protected from contamination.
Yes Apr 23, 2008 FOOD CONTACT MATERIAL - Packaging or material that comes in contact with foods is not safe. All packaging or material that comes in contact with foods must be clean, sanitary, and made of food grade material. The use of black or green garbage bags or any other material not listed as food grade by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is not permitted. May 01, 2008
No Apr 23, 2008 REPAIR/CLEAN/NUISANCE - The equipment is not in good repair, is constructed in a manner that is causing or will cause contamination of food, and/or is not being maintained in a clean condition. All equipment must be kept in good working order and condition, maintained in a manner that ensures the safe and sanitary handling of food, and washed and sanitized in a manner that removes contamination. May 01, 2008
No Apr 23, 2008 REPAIR/CLEAN/NUISANCE - The equipment is not in good repair, is constructed in a manner that is causing or will cause contamination of food, and/or is not being maintained in a clean condition. All equipment must be kept in good working order and condition, maintained in a manner that ensures the safe and sanitary handling of food, and washed and sanitized in a manner that removes contamination.
No Apr 23, 2008 FLOORS - The surface of the floors in this food establishment are not acceptable. The surface of floors shall be smooth, impervious to moisture, and easily cleanable where food is prepared or processed, utensil/equipment cleaning areas, walk-in coolers and freezers, where opened foods are stored, and in rooms containing handwash basins, toilets, or showers.
No Apr 23, 2008 FOOD/UTENSIL STORAGE - Foods and/or utensils are not being stored in a satisfactory manner. All food, equipment, and utensils must be protected from contamination and stored in a safe and sanitary manner. Food, equipment, and utensils shall not be stored in a washroom or any area of potential contamination.
No Apr 23, 2008 LOCATION/CONSTRUCTION - The lighting fixtures are located and/or constructed so that food could become contaminated if a fixture breaks. The owner of a food establishment shall ensure that the lighting fixtures are located and constructed so as to prevent contamination of food in the event that the fixture breaks. May 01, 2008
No Apr 23, 2008 REPAIR/CLEAN/NUISANCE - The equipment is not in good repair, is constructed in a manner that is causing or will cause contamination of food, and/or is not being maintained in a clean condition. All equipment must be kept in good working order and condition, maintained in a manner that ensures the safe and sanitary handling of food, and washed and sanitized in a manner that removes contamination. May 01, 2008
No Apr 23, 2008 SEPARATION/ADEQUATE SPACE - Storage facilities for this food establishment are not providing adequate space or separation of stored items. The owner shall ensure that articles not associated with the processing, preparation, handling, serving or storage of food are stored distinctly separate from any food area. Storage spaces must also enable each class of item to be kept distinctly separate from each other. May 01, 2008
No Apr 23, 2008 SUPPLIES - The hand washing basins for this food establishment do not have adequate supplies. Every hand washing basin shall be supplied with hand soap in a suitable dispenser and a hot air dryer or single service disposable or individual use towels in a suitable dispenser. May 01, 2008
No Apr 23, 2008 VERMIN PROOFING - This food establishment is not properly constructed and/or managed to prevent the entry of vermin. A food establishment shall be constructed and maintained to prevent the entry of cockroaches, silverfish, rodents, flies, and other vermin. May 01, 2008
No Apr 23, 2008 POOR PRACTICES REQUIRE FOOD HANDLER EDUC - A food handler lacks knowledge to handle foods safely. The persons named above must register in an approved food safety course. To register phone 943-8030 (Calgary), 995-2638 (Okotoks), 762-2990 (Banff). May 01, 2008
No Apr 23, 2008 WRITTEN PROCEDURES/RECORDS - Written procedures and/or records to ensure a safe and sanitary operation are not kept at this food establishment. A food establishment must have written procedures designed to ensure its safe and sanitary operation and maintenance. May 01, 2008
No Apr 23, 2008 CLEAN/GOOD REPAIR - This food establishment is not being kept clean and in good repair. The owner of a food establishment shall ensure that the food establishment is maintained in a clean and sanitary condition, in good repair and in sound condition. May 01, 2008
No Apr 23, 2008 CLEAN/GOOD REPAIR - This food establishment is not being kept clean and in good repair. The owner of a food establishment shall ensure that the food establishment is maintained in a clean and sanitary condition, in good repair and in sound condition. May 01
Old 08-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #37
smoothessence
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

^- how is this place still open with all of these offences?
smoothessence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #38
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure, I think this one is my favorite though:

Yes Jun 25, 2008 VERMIN (EVIDENCE ON SITE) - Vermin have been allowed to enter this food establishment. The owner of a food establishment shall not allow cockroaches, silverfish, rodents or other vermin to enter or remain in his food establishment. Jun 27, 2008
Old 08-01-2008, 03:01 PM   #39
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I'm sure that is coupled with this gem

"No Jun 25, 2008 VERMIN PROOFING - This food establishment is not properly constructed and/or managed to prevent the entry of vermin. A food establishment shall be constructed and maintained to prevent the entry of cockroaches, silverfish, rodents, flies, and other vermin."
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #40
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think I have tried them all and you learned everything you need to know in the first few posts - for all you can eat sushi Ichiban is top dog in the city. It looks like a dive from the outside but it's nice inside... watch your belly of tuna and unagi orders though as they tend to forget these more expensive dishes and often they will mix the belly of tuna with regular tuna... its frustrating but overall they are best in city. just dont be afraid to question the tuna and remind them about the unagi repeatedly =)