Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Best way to set up email?

Normally I only need to worry about my own email but more and more I'm asked to set up other peoples email and wondering what's the current best method? Everyone always wants the same thing which is good, synchronization across all devices. Send an email from your computer, it shows up in the sent folder of your phone/tablet etc....

I normally just did exchange (or sync maybe?) on my phone but newer versions of Outlook on computers don't seem to play well with that. Does imap achieve the same thing?

This is almost always for Shaw email accounts and the occasional Telus one.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

IMAP achieves the same thing, read an email one place it's marked as read on the others, etc.

What I do now is just forward all my emails to a generic Gmail account and use that to send and receive. Plays well with handsets, Android of course works great and the Outlook app on iOS is a great Gmail client (though I still just use the built in client).
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 07:32 AM   #3
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
This is almost always for Shaw email accounts and the occasional Telus one.

I don't use outlook but use the Shaw web client which is surprisingly decent now after all their upgrades. (wm.shaw.ca). on the phone, use exchange server with wm.shaw.ca and it syncs well. I think the imap version still works too.

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1064
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #4
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I do what Photon does, forward all emails to a Gmail account. Within Gmail you can have it act as just a client so you send and receive emails from their original provider. Works great and you can still setup categories so everything is sorted.

But, IMAP will accomplish what you are looking for but you have to set it up for every account on every device.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I do what Photon does, forward all emails to a Gmail account. Within Gmail you can have it act as just a client so you send and receive emails from their original provider. Works great and you can still setup categories so everything is sorted.

But, IMAP will accomplish what you are looking for but you have to set it up for every account on every device.
So how do you do that? I have an imap account for our company but the emails dont stay on the server for very long.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:49 PM   #6
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
So how do you do that? I have an imap account for our company but the emails dont stay on the server for very long.
That probably has more to do with your server settings than the email client though or it is your sync settings. Default sync settings are probably only two weeks so you can check your settings in your client.

But within the Gmail (web version) you can go into settings/Accounts and Import there are two tabs where you can set up sending and receiving of other accounts. I have my Shaw, Telus, Yahoo, Outlook and icloud accounts all being sent and received through Gmail. Basically any Pop3 or IMAP account can be set up. I use to use my works IMAP setup through Gmail but I could not folder map and having separate folders for sent and imap sent drove me nuts. I use Blue Mail on Android to do my work imap email rather than have the active sync setup.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post: