Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2024, 09:07 PM   #61
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Dallas trades a 1st , 2nd and a prospect for the right to sign ….Hanifin and Vladar ?
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 09:32 PM   #62
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Exactly. Dallas can clear $9.5 off their cap to sign someone else (Duchene, Stephenson, Tanev, etc.).

They could even trade him to us with the intention that we buy him out and they re-sign him on the cheap.

To Calgary:
Jamie Benn ($9.5M)
Mavrick Bourque
2026 1st (unprotected)
2026 2nd

To Dallas:
Kuznetsov
Vladar

Dallas now has cap room ($27M) next year to sign:
Benn ($1.5M)
Duchene ($5M)
Pavelski ($3.5M)
Tanev ($4.5M)
Hanifin ($7.5M)
Valdar ($2.5M)
The chances that Benn waives his NMC to lose money is quite low I suspect.

If by some miracle he did it makes more sense for the Flames to keep him than to buy him out.

There is no way anything beyond a pick would be attached to taking on Benn, doubt the Stars have any use for almost 8 million dollars worth of salary coming back from the Flames.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:11 AM   #63
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just don't use this cap space to sign the Jiri Hudlers and Dennis Widemans of the 2024 ufa class.

As fun as 2014/15 was with the find a way Flames making the playoffs and winning a round against the canucks the Flames missed a shot at mcdavid/eichel with jiri hudler scoring 76 points that year and Wideman scoring 56 points.

Hopefully Conroy was paying attention and learned from that type of speed up the rebuild crap and that it doesn't ufa his way out of the McKenna lottery.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 10:32 AM   #64
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Use it however you need it to get a deal done involving Kadri

He’s been great but his and Huberdeau deals could block this team when it’s on the rise
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:44 AM   #65
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
Use it however you need it to get a deal done involving Kadri

He’s been great but his and Huberdeau deals could block this team when it’s on the rise
Nah the cap will start rising again and those deals will look better and better. Especially with both players playing better and better. There will soon be deals that make the Kadri and Huberdeau contracts look pretty decent.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:47 AM   #66
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Just don't use this cap space to sign the Jiri Hudlers and Dennis Widemans of the 2024 ufa class.
Your timeline is a year off. Those two were signed prior to the what would have been the 2012-2013 season. The Flames still were operating like they were a playoff team. New coach and new players they thought they would be in the mix. When they fell flat and sucked in 2013 is when they started trading Iginla and Bouwmeester. I guess you could say that damage is already done with Kadri, Huberdeau, and Weegar being signed to long deals.

Although I would suggest Conroy got a better jump start as this would be like the Flames starting at the end of 2011 instead of 2013.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 03-13-2024 at 10:51 AM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:50 AM   #67
prizefighterinferno
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The biggest issue with Kadri is that when he doesn't feel engaged for whatever reason (i.e., the team is playing poorly or is bad and he's grumpy about it) he completely checks out. No effort on D, holds on to pucks way too long, severe with his linemates, tries to do everything himself even more than usual. The beneficial attributes he brings when the games are truly "big" just ebbs away IMO.

If you can move him and he's amenable to it, it's got to be on the table regardless of how awesome he can be at his peak.
prizefighterinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 11:29 AM   #68
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Nah the cap will start rising again and those deals will look better and better. Especially with both players playing better and better. There will soon be deals that make the Kadri and Huberdeau contracts look pretty decent.
There could be a perfect storm in the summer or trade deadline to move him no retention. I’d save at least $3 mil space for that option. Huberdeau contract might be ok but I’d take the first deal involving Kadri.

If it doesn’t work out broker deals with that space
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 12:16 PM   #69
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Huberdeau is a top 5 bad contract in the league. No amount of rising cap will make it look good. The deal was going to age poorly the day it was signed but it was a double whammy because he hasn't even lived up to it at the start.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 03:57 PM   #70
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you've got it right, using proper case. Uppercase or lowercase would just not look right.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 10:26 AM   #71
Braden
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anyone else catch Frank Seravalli on flames talk yesterday? With what sounded like a direct quote from Conroy along the lines that he's excited with all the cap space they feel they can be big players in free agency, get players that will help us be competitive now and in the future.. I'm just hoping that's not where all our cap space goes.
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 10:31 AM   #72
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would love to give someone like Monahan a decent offer on a 1 year deal. Move him at the deadline to a contender to give him another run at a cup. It really feels like we're going to be in Stephenson though imo
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 10:32 AM   #73
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^^ Yep. Story comes out tomorrow on Daily Faceoff he said.

I said it before, I'll say it again. Prepare for the Chandler Stephenson overpay.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 10:33 AM   #74
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden View Post
Anyone else catch Frank Seravalli on flames talk yesterday? With what sounded like a direct quote from Conroy along the lines that he's excited with all the cap space they feel they can be big players in free agency, get players that will help us be competitive now and in the future.. I'm just hoping that's not where all our cap space goes.
I have no doubt in my mind that flames will be spending cap space through ufa or trade on a top 4 dman. No chance they go into next season with the group that is left. Conroy has been pretty adamant that this is not a rebuild.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 10:37 AM   #75
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post

I said it before, I'll say it again. Prepare for the Chandler Stephenson overpay.
If that is the route they are going, I would much rather have Reinhart.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 10:56 AM   #76
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I have no doubt in my mind that flames will be spending cap space through ufa or trade on a top 4 dman. No chance they go into next season with the group that is left. Conroy has been pretty adamant that this is not a rebuild.
Tanev and Brady Skjie
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 11:17 AM   #77
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden View Post
Unfortunately, I highly doubt the Flames are going into a total tank situation. The best hope for that is if Markstrom gets traded and they go with Wolf/Vladar, then the Wolf/Vladar combo just isn't that good, then the team tanks.

Conroy likely has a better feel for the dressing room than previous management. He's got rid of the guys he feels like were passengers.

The Flames will likely be adding an offensive d-man, to help on the PP, and a vet. I think the Flames won't be handing out that 7 year contract though. They'll probably be bargain hunting somewhat for an offensive d-man willing to take a 4-5 years x 5.5-6 million contract.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 11:24 AM   #78
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post

Don't see it. Now if he reaches free agency I think Conroy goes hard after Reinhart
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 11:25 AM   #79
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
If that is the route they are going, I would much rather have Reinhart.
Doubt he wants to come Calgary, but Reinhart be an attractive target for the Flames if that's the direction they want to go. I'm sure he's looking to get PAID and get an eight-year contract though.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 11:30 AM   #80
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I hate it but I don't believe this club will rebuild *intentionally*.
They're fully going to try to make playoffs next season.

I doubt they move Markstrom unless he very strongly wants out. They don't like to trade key guys under contract even when they should. They never get ahead of these things. Selling endings UFAs as a non-playoff team was a big deal for this club.

They're going to want a top 9 center and a #4 defensive dman.
I've been saying for awhile that theyre going to make a run at Stephenson and a guy like Dylan, Pesce or Tanev.
If they don't it's because they've traded some picks to fill one of these roles.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote