Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #41
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER
 
Sliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Here are a few of the shots I took of it today:


This photo is great! I just pm'd you, Bigtime. I'm hoping to buy a high-res version of this for my mother in law. Showed her the pic and she loved it (her father flew in a Lancaster during the war).
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #42
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Okotoks
Exp:
Default

My father used to be a flight engineer in a Lanc during WW2. Never talked much about his experiences though.

Went to Nanton and did the tour through the one there. I was surprised at how cramped it was inside. I doubt is was a very comfortable experience flying in one of those for hours at 10,000 feet in the cold. Had to be noisy as hell too.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #43
burn_this_city
Franchise Player
 
burn_this_city's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
My father used to be a flight engineer in a Lanc during WW2. Never talked much about his experiences though.

Went to Nanton and did the tour through the one there. I was surprised at how cramped it was inside. I doubt is was a very comfortable experience flying in one of those for hours at 10,000 feet in the cold. Had to be noisy as hell too.
My grandfather was nearly deaf in his senior years due to his time in landcasters. Veterans paid for hearing aids for him because the time spent in these aircraft.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #44
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Okotoks
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
My grandfather was nearly deaf in his senior years due to his time in landcasters. Veterans paid for hearing aids for him because the time spent in these aircraft.
No doubt. My father had hearing problems too. After touring through the bomber at Nanton I see there was absolutely no sound insulation.... or any type of insulation for that matter. Just metal frame and skin between them and the engines.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #45
Bigtime
Franchise Player
 
Bigtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

More rare aviation goodness in Calgary right now. Yesterday the CL-13 Sabre (or F-86 as most would know it) arrived from Regina, it leaves for Comox, BC this morning at 11:10.

This is the bird in question, got shots of it last year when it came through:



Flightaware link showing todays flight to Comox: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C...710Z/CYYC/CYQQ
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #46
BloodFetish
First Line Centre
 
BloodFetish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
More rare aviation goodness in Calgary right now. Yesterday the CL-13 Sabre (or F-86 as most would know it) arrived from Regina, it leaves for Comox, BC this morning at 11:10.

This is the bird in question, got shots of it last year when it came through:



Flightaware link showing todays flight to Comox: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C...710Z/CYYC/CYQQ
The "Dogfights" episode that featured this plane was my favourite, hands down.

On it's way to the Abbotsford air show, then, and speaking of which they have cancelled the CF-18 Hornet performance. Probably a result of the recent crash and the military not wanting to commit forces to public shows until the crash investigation is complete?
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #47
STeeLy
Franchise Player
 
STeeLy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Exp:
Default

I think I'm gonna try and catch the F-86 Sabre take off and then go check out the Lancaster afterwards.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #48
Bigtime
Franchise Player
 
Bigtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
and speaking of which they have cancelled the CF-18 Hornet performance. Probably a result of the recent crash and the military not wanting to commit forces to public shows until the crash investigation is complete?
I've heard it is also because they only had one demo pilot for the season, so with him out of action recovering there just wasn't enough time to train another person up for the job safely.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #49
STeeLy
Franchise Player
 
STeeLy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Exp:
Default

CRAAAAAAAAAAP...

I missed the take-off...

I waited til about 11:45, then I decided to head home and see what was up... then the Sabre took off at 11:53... damn!
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:13 PM   #50
Bigtime
Franchise Player
 
Bigtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Not as good as I hoped, I was thinking he'd stay low to the runway after takeoff but he went for altitude right away. Don't think my pics will be anything special.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #51
STeeLy
Franchise Player
 
STeeLy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Not as good as I hoped, I was thinking he'd stay low to the runway after takeoff but he went for altitude right away. Don't think my pics will be anything special.
I gonna guess he took off on 16 heading south.

Ah, shoulda stayed an extra 10 minutes...
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #52
Bigtime
Franchise Player
 
Bigtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Yup, used 16.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #53
STeeLy
Franchise Player
 
STeeLy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Yup, used 16.
Yeah... waited at the south end of 16/34 at like 11...

Oh well... Abbotsford, I'll catch it there.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #54
Bigtime
Franchise Player
 
Bigtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Here are two shots I was somewhat happy with:





You can view all my aviation geek pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigtime...7621914161587/
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #55
Bigtime
Franchise Player
 
Bigtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Just a reminder that the Lancaster will be doing 3 flights today. Scheduled departure times are 11, 1, and 3. Keep your eyes on the sky!
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #56
Smyth's Skate
Backup Goalie
 
Smyth's Skate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Airdrie
Exp:
Default

Just departed. What an amazing sound!
Smyth's Skate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #57
Bigtime
Franchise Player
 
Bigtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Yup, fantastic. I've got my scanner on and they are heading to Nanton to do a flyby over the Lancaster museum there. I'll probably go to the SW viewing area for the 1pm departure.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #58
Tron_fdc
Has My Daddy Syndrome
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 'berta
Exp:
Default

It just flew directly over me (I'm in the SE by Race City).

Unreal, I can't imagine a sky FILLED with those things.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #59
Smyth's Skate
Backup Goalie
 
Smyth's Skate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Airdrie
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Yup, fantastic. I've got my scanner on and they are heading to Nanton to do a flyby over the Lancaster museum there. I'll probably go to the SW viewing area for the 1pm departure.
It was incredible. I am sitting in my office, deep in the bowels of the KBA Hanger. It came over the hanger, and I knew, without seeing it, what it was. What a sound!
Smyth's Skate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #60
Bigtime
Franchise Player
 
Bigtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Heading inbound again, arrivals have them heading for the Glenmore reservoir.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
airplanes , avgeeks , aviation , flight , spotters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:13 PM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016