Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #41
red sky
First Line Centre
 
red sky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith12 View Post
The issues they've been having at Opti are around their steam generation and it has nothing to do with the upgrader which is getting ramped up. Over the next year and a bit they expect to get all those things worked out.

It should be noted that Nexen now operates Long Lake after they bought 15% of OPC.

Many people are saying that Nexen will be bought by a Total like company if oil prices recover back into the high 60's.
If there was a time to get into Opti I suppose it would be now. Oil prices seem to be holding/rising and further OPEC cuts should help continue the rise. I think we will see $60 oil in the third quarter or so. When gas prices start to rebound I would look at a company like KWK (Quicksilver). Even for day traders you can easily make 10% daily trades it seems.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #42
Fueled By Fire
Farm Team Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Exp:
Default

Not sure if this is big news, but Penn West acquires a Junior O&G Co. - Reece Exploration:
http://www.cnxmarketlink.com/en/rele.../10/c7478.html
Fueled By Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #43
Agamemnon
First Line Centre
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

I like STP long-term... super low right now but 52 week high was near $100... once the Solar industry picks back up this stock could do quite well (I hope!).
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #44
Agamemnon
First Line Centre
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

How much do you guys pay for stock trades? I'm mostly interested in buying Canada or US stocks from Canada... right now I just use my bank's discount brokerage, costs about $20-$30 a trade... I'd love to find a cheaper place that didn't have gimics attached (minimum balance/minimum # trades).
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #45
pepper24
Franchise Player
 
pepper24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

^ I use Questrade at $4.95 per trade. I only do about 20-30 trades per quarter on average but my philosphy for long-term growth is that you need to control your costs or else they'll eat into your gains.

My bank (RBC) charges $29.95 which is way too steep and I think most of the other Big 5 banks are in that range.
__________________
Official Boycotter of Rogers and Rexall Drug Stores.

pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #46
Swayze11
In the Sin Bin
 
Swayze11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Exp:
Default

Ive always wanted to invest in stocks but I am a total noob in how to do it. Should I go to my bank (Royal bank) and talk to someone or should I just sign up for something like Questrade like pepper mentioned. Is it really easy to buy stocks using Questrade, just set up an account and buy?
__________________

Swayze11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #47
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Slava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
^ I use Questrade at $4.95 per trade. I only do about 20-30 trades per quarter on average but my philosphy for long-term growth is that you need to control your costs or else they'll eat into your gains.

My bank (RBC) charges $29.95 which is way too steep and I think most of the other Big 5 banks are in that range.
I think that most of the banks are in that range. You're right the costs eat into the returns though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Ive always wanted to invest in stocks but I am a total noob in how to do it. Should I go to my bank (Royal bank) and talk to someone or should I just sign up for something like Questrade like pepper mentioned. Is it really easy to buy stocks using Questrade, just set up an account and buy?
Have you done other investing? If you have an you know what you are doing (i.e. you understand risk and return and know how you're planning on valuing companies) than you should go and do your own thing. If you go in an talk to someone like a broker its going to be a fairly expensive venture unless you have certain minimums in your account. (If you have all of the account minimums than PM me and we could sit down!)
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #48
pepper24
Franchise Player
 
pepper24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Ive always wanted to invest in stocks but I am a total noob in how to do it. Should I go to my bank (Royal bank) and talk to someone or should I just sign up for something like Questrade like pepper mentioned. Is it really easy to buy stocks using Questrade, just set up an account and buy?
If you don't understand individual stocks, I'd stick with mutual funds. Too risky to invest in something you don't understand without professional help.

Talk with a financial advisor at RBC and work with them to help you out. I'd personally stick with a portfolio of index fund that follow the market as most funds don't beat the market and the MER ratios are much less than active funds. I'd recommend 1/3 in a CDN equity index fund, 1/3 in an US equity index fun and 1/3 in an International index fund.
__________________
Official Boycotter of Rogers and Rexall Drug Stores.

pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #49
Flames2007FIRE IT UP
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

I am moving to Calgary and am looking for a stock-broker. I have very minimal education on this stuff but am a quick learner. Any tips on a person/firm to meet with and any good books/resources I could read to help me get started would be appreciated. Sorry if this is de-railing the thread.
Flames2007FIRE IT UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #50
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Slava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames2007FIRE IT UP View Post
I am moving to Calgary and am looking for a stock-broker. I have very minimal education on this stuff but am a quick learner. Any tips on a person/firm to meet with and any good books/resources I could read to help me get started would be appreciated. Sorry if this is de-railing the thread.
How soon are you moving? My license changes in about a month...
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #51
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Slava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
If you don't understand individual stocks, I'd stick with mutual funds. Too risky to invest in something you don't understand without professional help.

Talk with a financial advisor at RBC and work with them to help you out. I'd personally stick with a portfolio of index fund that follow the market as most funds don't beat the market and the MER ratios are much less than active funds. I'd recommend 1/3 in a CDN equity index fund, 1/3 in an US equity index fun and 1/3 in an International index fund.

If you're going to buy index funds at least buy a bond index as well. Indexing is a long, long term strategy. Equities always outperform stocks...except when they don't!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #52
pepper24
Franchise Player
 
pepper24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
If you're going to buy index funds at least buy a bond index as well. Indexing is a long, long term strategy. Equities always outperform stocks...except when they don't!
Aren't equities and stocks the same thing? Did you mean equities tend to historically outperform bonds in the long term?

Short term and long term most mutual funds don't beat the market.
__________________
Official Boycotter of Rogers and Rexall Drug Stores.

pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pepper24 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #53
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Slava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
Aren't equities and stocks the same thing? Did you mean equities tend to historically outperform bonds in the long term?

Short term and long term most mutual funds don't beat the market.

My error. I meant to say that stocks always outperform bonds except when they don't.

I'm seriously tired of explaining the mutual fund issue...the statistics look great for passively managed holdings, but not through this latest crash. The actively managed funds outperformed the index by a solid majority.

Short-term, the mutual funds largely beat the market. If you were holding the index and kept with the buy and hold mantra through this latest period you have made virtually no money in the last 5 years. In other words you paid less in fees, but that is little solace if you took the full brunt of the down market. I also feel that these statistics are based on a few faulty points:

A) They are based on US funds. In the US there are many, many more funds and the fees are not equal, nor calculated the same as what we have in Canada.

B) The point of indexing and paying less in fees has been that the market has never lost money over a ten year period in history. Well that point has being eroded quite quickly over the past 6-8 months. The S&P 500 is now where it was almost 13 years ago.

C) Because of the strategies employed by good active managers there is less risk than buying the whole index.

D) There are many tax strategies that active management will provide that buying the index simply does not. Tax management is critical; it measures what you actually keep in your jeans at the end of the day.

Active management is not purely about gaining the upside when the markets are roaring ahead, its also about not losing all of the gains when the markets correct or worse. Passive management will accomplish one of these goals for you; my thinking is that both are important.

I'm not saying that you should run out and buy all mutual funds; they're not for everyone and not everyone loves them. But the reality is that there is a value add here.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #54
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Byrns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Opti is up 40% today? I hope you guys get rich.
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #55
MJK
Franchise Player
 
MJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut
Exp:
Default

Well i sold my Apple today "AAPL" and made $16/share! Not too shabby in a few days.

I have a feeling some people are doing well right now with the market being nice the past few days.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #56
macker
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
My error. I meant to say that stocks always outperform bonds except when they don't.

I'm seriously tired of explaining the mutual fund issue...the statistics look great for passively managed holdings, but not through this latest crash. The actively managed funds outperformed the index by a solid majority.

Short-term, the mutual funds largely beat the market. If you were holding the index and kept with the buy and hold mantra through this latest period you have made virtually no money in the last 5 years. In other words you paid less in fees, but that is little solace if you took the full brunt of the down market. I also feel that these statistics are based on a few faulty points:

A) They are based on US funds. In the US there are many, many more funds and the fees are not equal, nor calculated the same as what we have in Canada.

B) The point of indexing and paying less in fees has been that the market has never lost money over a ten year period in history. Well that point has being eroded quite quickly over the past 6-8 months. The S&P 500 is now where it was almost 13 years ago.

C) Because of the strategies employed by good active managers there is less risk than buying the whole index.

D) There are many tax strategies that active management will provide that buying the index simply does not. Tax management is critical; it measures what you actually keep in your jeans at the end of the day.

Active management is not purely about gaining the upside when the markets are roaring ahead, its also about not losing all of the gains when the markets correct or worse. Passive management will accomplish one of these goals for you; my thinking is that both are important.

I'm not saying that you should run out and buy all mutual funds; they're not for everyone and not everyone loves them. But the reality is that there is a value add here.
article's and a video relating to this....http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...fVI&refer=home

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/Business

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rce_login=true

http://watch.bnn.ca/etf-update/etf-u...09/#clip148745

Some of the leveraged etf's demand that you be pretty active and they are not really a passive investment....You need to get in and out quickly for them to work...

Last edited by macker; 03-12-2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: add links
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #57
red sky
First Line Centre
 
red sky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrns View Post
Opti is up 40% today? I hope you guys get rich.
Unfortunately I got in a bit higher but I am still in a good position. Risky play but once they start production on a consitent basis watch out! (I hope)
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #58
Phanuthier
Franchise Player
 
Phanuthier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Silicon Valley
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Well i sold my Apple today "AAPL" and made $16/share! Not too shabby in a few days.

I have a feeling some people are doing well right now with the market being nice the past few days.
If you would have bought BoA a few days ago, you would have doubled your money.

Of coarse, that is if you time the low's and the high's right. Insurance still has a P/B < 1, and (thanks to Slava for the tip/info) insurance tends to rebound faster then banks. (For better or for worse, I guess I am more highly leveraged then most on banks - JPM, BoA, WFC, LVS, MGM, SLF, MLF, AXP) I'm still holding on to all of mine, the P/B and P/E is still attractive today and I will probably release it at higher P/E levels.
__________________
"With a coach and a player, sometimes there's just so much respect there that it's boils over"
-Taylor Hall
Phanuthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #59
stang
CP's Fraser Crane
 
stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Exp:
Default

Anyone want to predict how CNQ will do.. or how they are looking?

Work for them so I have lots of options in them...
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #60
macker
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Anyone want to predict how CNQ will do.. or how they are looking?

Work for them so I have lots of options in them...
__________________________________________________ _____________

I like ECA & SU better but it is a good company. It has recently taken out the 20 day, 50 day, and 100 day moving averages so next stop is the 200 day at $62-$64 range. If it goes back over $50 you could start building a position. It yields about 6% but the balance sheet is a little stretched from Horizons. Not my top pick in this sector but in the top 3 or 4.
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:56 PM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016