Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #21
dying4acup
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Exp:
Default

18.5

That's the number to pass the Oilers. That's my criteria for not being NO GOOD.
dying4acup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:16 PM   #22
Caged Great
Franchise Player
 
Caged Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Only Dallas vs Washington and the Sharks vs the Jets up tomorrow. I guess a Jets win would be better if the Flames want to try for the division. Other than that, it's a pretty meh day.

Tuesday will be the fun day.

STL VS MIN
NYI VS EDM
MTL VS VAN
NSH VS ANA
__________________
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:20 PM   #23
dying4acup
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Exp:
Default

Mtl vs van is irrelevant, no?
dying4acup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:24 PM   #24
driveway
A Fiddler Crab
 
driveway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
Exp:
Default

Vancouver losing is never irrelevant.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 05:45 AM   #25
Tsawwassen
First Line Centre
 
Tsawwassen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Exp:
Default

The magic number for the Flames on the Jets decreases, good stuff.
__________________
Remember this, TSN stands for Toronto's Sports Network!
MOD EDIT: Removed broken image link.
Tsawwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:31 AM   #26
Caged Great
Franchise Player
 
Caged Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default


__________________
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca

Last edited by Caged Great; 03-08-2017 at 12:33 AM.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 09:57 AM   #27
edn88
#1 Goaltender
 
edn88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Not saying that this is correct, but this website http://www.playoffstatus.com/nhl/wes...icnumbers.html thinks Flames magic number is 12.

I wonder if they are taking into consideration other teams having to play one another?
__________________
edn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:29 AM   #28
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback
 
wingmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: the RR diner
Exp:
Default

With Calgary holding the advantage in ROW by 2 games, and with both teams having played the same number of games, Calgary only needs to make up 2 points on Edmonton in 16 games and they will finish ahead of them in the standings.
__________________
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wingmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #29
DJones
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn88 View Post
Not saying that this is correct, but this website http://www.playoffstatus.com/nhl/wes...icnumbers.html thinks Flames magic number is 12.

I wonder if they are taking into consideration other teams having to play one another?
That number assumes every other team will win every game as well. Not overly useful.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:29 PM   #30
Caged Great
Franchise Player
 
Caged Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn88 View Post
Not saying that this is correct, but this website http://www.playoffstatus.com/nhl/wes...icnumbers.html thinks Flames magic number is 12.

I wonder if they are taking into consideration other teams having to play one another?
mine is the raw data not looking at matchups in any of the remaining games.
__________________
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:03 AM   #31
Caged Great
Franchise Player
 
Caged Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Magic Number is down to 12.5 with the Flames win. Unfortunately LA kept pace. They are the only non playoff team that is at all likely to catch Calgary in any way.


__________________
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #32
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger
 
JerryUnderscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Halifax, NS
Exp:
Default

These are great Caged. Out of curiosity, since you're not updating the lower left half of the numbers, do you even need to bother including them here?
__________________
"Iím on a mission to civilize." - Will McAvoy
JerryUnderscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:12 PM   #33
Resurrection
First Line Centre
 
Resurrection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

whelp.

you have us next tomorrow @ the phone booth. I'd love see a competitive Jets group go out there and spoil the night but Helley had a very, very tough game against the Pens. Our D is in shambles and Enstrom is out with a concussion from Sestito's dirty hit. Could be ripe pickins for the FLlames.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resurrection For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #34
Caged Great
Franchise Player
 
Caged Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryUnderscore View Post
These are great Caged. Out of curiosity, since you're not updating the lower left half of the numbers, do you even need to bother including them here?
The redded out portions? They are like that because they have been eliminated from being able to catch whatever team.
__________________
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #35
polak
In the Sin Bin
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Exp:
Default

So it looks like the game against the Kings on the 29th could be a good candidate for the clincher game?

I really hope so, my last season tickets for the year.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #36
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger
 
JerryUnderscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Halifax, NS
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
The redded out portions? They are like that because they have been eliminated from being able to catch whatever team.
No, I mean everything under the black boxes.

For example, if you follow the top-side St. Louis down to Nashville the magic number is 15.5. But if you follow the top-side Nashville down to St. Louis it's still listed as 17.5.

Everything below and the the left of the black boxes (which I understand exist because that's where each team meets itself in the chart) is still showing outdating numbers.

It's fine, since I've just been looking at the upper right half of the chart. I was just curious about it.
__________________
"Iím on a mission to civilize." - Will McAvoy
JerryUnderscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #37
hockey.modern
First Line Centre
 
hockey.modern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: CGY
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
So it looks like the game against the Kings on the 29th could be a good candidate for the clincher game?

I really hope so, my last season tickets for the year.


I really hope so, going to that game as well.
__________________
PSA* How To Spell Names: Brian Elliott, Sam Bennett
hockey.modern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:02 AM   #38
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryUnderscore View Post
No, I mean everything under the black boxes.

For example, if you follow the top-side St. Louis down to Nashville the magic number is 15.5. But if you follow the top-side Nashville down to St. Louis it's still listed as 17.5.

Everything below and the the left of the black boxes (which I understand exist because that's where each team meets itself in the chart) is still showing outdating numbers.

It's fine, since I've just been looking at the upper right half of the chart. I was just curious about it.
But they're not the same thing. THe former is stating how many points NAS needs to eliminate STL and the latter is stating how man points STL needs to eliminate NAS. Those numbers would only be the same if the teams were tied.

The numbers are correct, and they possess information. Which is why they're there.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #39
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger
 
JerryUnderscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Halifax, NS
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
But they're not the same thing. THe former is stating how many points NAS needs to eliminate STL and the latter is stating how man points STL needs to eliminate NAS. Those numbers would only be the same if the teams were tied.

The numbers are correct, and they possess information. Which is why they're there.
Ah... I misunderstood the chart. Thanks for the help!
__________________
"Iím on a mission to civilize." - Will McAvoy
JerryUnderscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:34 PM   #40
Fire
Franchise Player
 
Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

A 6-8 record should be good enough for a playoff spot.
__________________

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:44 AM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016