Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Ivrnet

Old 03-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #1021
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
and the lawyers win again, can ring up a nice big bill for all the appeals. bottom feeders
No the winner is the people that the system fail. Milgard and Morin and other people who are wrongfully convicted. This process isn't for Garland.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 11:54 PM   #1022
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not like appeal means a re-trial. The appeals judge will probably dismiss it pretty quickly.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:24 AM   #1023
oilers_fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd appeal as well if I were in his shoes. I know we all want him to roll over and die, but it's not going to happen.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:43 AM   #1024
Snuffleupagus
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
Why?
Very little "try" and zero passion from Ross at the trial. A reporter that covered the trial told me from the beginning the look on his face said he didn't want to be there.

It can't be easy trying to represent a monster but he picked this profession and it's his job to give it 100% for his client. I can tell you his partner would have as least raised a few questions threw cross examination and showed some passion to the jury.

Kim Ross likely took a big hit to his career with this case.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #1025
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Very little "try" and zero passion from Ross at the trial. A reporter that covered the trial told me from the beginning the look on his face said he didn't want to be there.

It can't be easy trying to represent a monster but he picked this profession and it's his job to give it 100% for his client. I can tell you his partner would have as least raised a few questions threw cross examination and showed some passion to the jury.

Kim Ross likely took a big hit to his career with this case.
Admittedly I did not examine Mr. Ross' face during the trial, but this off the record opinion from the unnamed reporter stuff is pretty weak.

There were two trial lawyers working on the case throughout and a third came on at the end to help with the argument on sentencing (for the proper interpretation of consecutive 25 year periods).

Not wanting to be there and not doing the best you can with the facts / evidence you have are two very different things.

Unless you sat in on the privileged meetings, you have no idea what the client's instructions were or what admissions may have been made to Ross. And neither does the reporter. So at best any opinion of Ross' performance is necessarily an uninformed one.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 10:36 AM   #1026
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I figured most of the heavy lifting Ross and his group did was probably during the prelim when they were determining admissibility. With the publication ban probably not a lot of people knew what was going on. I am guessing once it got to trial it probably had more to do with making sure procedures were properly followed with the evidence.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #1027
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbob View Post
with the publication ban probably not a lot of people knew what was going on.
q f t
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote