skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #42
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Imagine our ####ty built calgary homes in a storm like this
Imagine their houses in a Calgary blizzard.

Different regions, different requirements.
óDaniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
óWKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #43
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I actually think that Calgary construction, for the most part, would be not terrible in a hurricane. There are certain weak areas obviously (such as windows and sidings), but I believe that our foundations are mostly sound and the frames are typically very robust. I don't do construction however...
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:49 AM   #44
KevanGuy
Been There, Banned That

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post

Last big hurricane to hit of a similar magnitude was Hurricane Andrew in 1992, which was a category 5, and one of the most devastating hurricanes ever. Matthew is going to be similar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Andrew
This isn't true. Matthew isn't forecast to get to cat 5. The path of Andrew and Matthew are completely different. Andrew was so devastating because it ripped across the southern part of the state in some of the lowest ground in the US.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #45
HockeyIlliterate
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I appreciate this, but we're in for the long haul. We've got a solidly built house on relatively high ground, hurricane glass, provisions to last several days, and enough board games to choke a mule. Our property has been prepped and we're ready to hunker down and just wait it out.
I've gone through two Hurricanes.

The worst part, initially, is the wind and wondering if a tree is going to fall through your roof, particularly as the storm goes on and wind doesn't seem to be letting up while the ground keeps getting more and more saturated.

After the storm has passed, and if the wind knocked out the power, then the worst part is dealing without any electricity in (what is often) very humid air, especially if there isn't any wind to make things feel cooler.

Maybe you'll be lucky and your power won't ever go out, or if it does, it will only be out for a few hours or a day. But you've got to be prepared for the power to be out for 3-5 days, and have a plan on how to deal with that.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HockeyIlliterate For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #46
Royle9
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So, this storm literally developed over top of St.Lucia while I was vacationing on my honeymoon last week and while it was only a "topical storm" at that point I can certainly attest to the fact that having never been in one its a pretty scary thing.

I certainly hope everyone stays safe.

The last 2 days of our time there were quite interesting, I truly feel sorry for those that were arriving the day I left as their subsequent honeymoon/trip they had been planning for months will NOT be what they were expecting.

The island was decimated and its clear the island is not prepared for weather like that as during hurricane season it usually misses St.Lucia that far south, as far as the BAD weather goes. Every tree/sign/billboard is destroyed unless the tree was of significant size (all the banana tree's were ruined that we saw) The beach @ our resort was completely gone, water up to the walls and all the huts/chairs/canopies either washed away or broken. Water in the pool that was closest to the beach had literally drained all but a few inches due to the high winds. Garbage and plant life blown about the entire resort, everything shut down and not running (taxis, stores, shuttle bus etc)

Our final night there we had tree's blowing down on top of the building our room was in (2 stories) the bottom floor walk out rooms were flooding as the path was knee deep in water, I didn't realize how bad it actually was until the power went out and we lost phones/wifi for 2.5 hours and nobody came around to check on us. That's about the time I started to worry, but we were able to make it off 2 day's later, but I'll never forget the faces of those landing at the airport with huge smiles expecting the time of their lives when in reality they are going to be in for a rude awakening when they realize the beaches/boats/and most of the big resorts are under significant damage and tons of closures as they likely planned and paid lots of money for that trip.

Of course the locals get the worst end of the stick, such a shame I just hope they can rebuild fast but their #1 export Banana's getting demolished is going to hurt for a long time me thinks
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #47
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
So, this storm literally developed over top of St.Lucia while I was vacationing on my honeymoon last week
Let me be the first to congratulate you on baby Matthew coming next July.

Seriously though, glad you guys were safe - it could have been much worse from the sound of it.

As much as these places rely on tourism, the day-to-day life is usually fishing or some type of fruit - stuff that insurance or large parent companies don't cover and the real effect on hohse people.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:21 PM   #48
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If any of you are wondering how serious the locals are taking this, my in-laws went to work this morning for a while. They just arrived at our house about an hour ago only because their place was in a mandatory evacuation zone.

The first bands of rain and wind are coming in now, but it's quite light at the moment. The real nasty stuff is due to hit late tonight and last throughout the night.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #49
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Problem with the tracking of this storm is if it stays on the projected "skirting" course where it runs up the coast off-shore, it won't be too bad and people may again forget the impact these can have. There is already a hard enough time getting people to fully evacuate.

But if it makes any correction to the West, places are going to get f'd up.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:50 PM   #50
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
If any of you are wondering how serious the locals are taking this, my in-laws went to work this morning for a while. They just arrived at our house about an hour ago only because their place was in a mandatory evacuation zone.

The first bands of rain and wind are coming in now, but it's quite light at the moment. The real nasty stuff is due to hit late tonight and last throughout the night.
Stay safe.
If you can keep us updated.
I remember living in Fl when Andrew hit, it was a mess
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:39 PM   #51
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

We are about 6-8 hours away from the main part of the storm. So far, it's been extremely mild, but the rain is coming down pretty heavy now. I guess the rain swipes across in bands, and we're getting a heavier one right now. Winds are still low.

There's a good chance we'll lose power tonight, but it'll be overnight, so it won't matter that much. By the morning the storm will likely have moved past us. I just hope the winds aren't too intense tonight.

Wish me luck!
Old 10-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #52
Fighting Banana Slug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yup, good luck Cali (and the rest of the Panther fans )
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:47 PM   #53
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fox means business in regards to the Hurricane

pic.twitter.com/eGV2CCMSIo
Old 10-06-2016, 04:52 PM   #54
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post

Jesus, I knew Fox was all about fear mongering, but that is some of the worst bull#### excuse for reporting I've ever seen. If I was in the studio I would have punched that guy in the face.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #55
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shepard Smith is fantastic
nik- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #56
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Hurricane Schmurricane. We're getting snow tomorrow!

Seriously, stay safe, Cali.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:36 PM   #57
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stay safe man. Don't be afraid to hit the fetal position and cry like a baby. Just get it on video for us, k? And no portrait mode.

In all seriousness, good luck and don't panic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #58
Hes
Eye Guy

Exp:

It sounds like Landfall around Cape Canaveral is likely. Hopefully NASA's facilities come out if it relatively unscathed
Hes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #59
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got word that our risk of hurricane force winds in Palm Beach county has been downgraded. Still a slight possibility of major winds, but it looks like it's going to pass by and leave us relatively unscathed.

I just checked the radar, and the eye has moved north of our location and is still quite a bit off-shore. Most of the intense winds are at sea. Still a risk of sea surge and flooding on coastal properties, but that's not bad considering what we were looking at earlier today.

However, communities north of Palm Beach county are going to be hit really hard from the looks of it. I sure hope they're prepared well or have moved inland. This storm might even intensify into a category 5 (the maximum) before all is said and done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2016, 07:59 PM   #60
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post

I don't know what he is doing here, but Shep is usually pretty good, a voice of reason.

I hope he is trying to get people to evacuate or has some sort of good intention, even if misguided.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote