Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
InglewoodFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default You Know What Really Grinds My Gears Part V

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
It grinds my gears that I have a question to ask that doesn't warrant a thread.

So I guess I'll ask here, since this thread gets lots of views... WTF happened to the Lafarge plant by Southland and Deerfoot? It's gone. When did this happen? Where did it go?
Don't know where the plant went (maybe scrap?) but the land was sold to Remington. Same developers as Quarry Park.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #2
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
When people say "cookie cutter houses" as a slight.

Like these people using the term live in some architectural marvels like the Taj Mahal or some ####.

"I'd never live in a cookie cutter house, or I hate cookie cutter houses"

I personally live in an ugly 1970s era ghetto apartment and don't care what it looks like, but those people who think that somehow they're going to be in architecture weekly someday with their normal ass budget just kills me.

You know who lives in awesome houses? Rich people.
Lol, not only this, but the most cookie cutter is the downtown or belt line condo. Two colours to choose from, light or dark, and then 50 units with the exact same finishings in almost the exact same style layouts. But suburban homes are cookie cutter, har har.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:01 PM   #3
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

People texting and driving. Was in stop and go traffic on crowchild tail south, out of twenty cars passing me and then me passing them as we slowly go south at least five people were constantly texting the whole time. Leaving huge gaps, driving too slow and stopping abruptly when they look up too late.

Bothers me way more than someone speeding 10-25% over the limit.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:07 PM   #4
FireGilbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Lol, not only this, but the most cookie cutter is the downtown or belt line condo. Two colours to choose from, light or dark, and then 50 units with the exact same finishings in almost the exact same style layouts. But suburban homes are cookie cutter, har har.
Not a great example. Condos have the same layout by definition while the move towards identical suburban houses is a modern phenomenon. Also, at least in the beltline there are bars/cafes/restaurants which add some variety to the neighbourhood. In the suburbs it is cookie cutter houses and cookie cutter strip malls everywhere.

WRGMG is people constantly asking when my GF and I are going to buy a house and then acting like we are crazy when we say it isn't in the plans for years. Sorry we don't fit your paradigm of what a couple in their 30s should be doing but I prefer being debt free with a high disposable income and the flexibility to move.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:10 PM   #5
FireGilbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueski View Post
People texting and driving. Was in stop and go traffic on crowchild tail south, out of twenty cars passing me and then me passing them as we slowly go south at least five people were constantly texting the whole time. Leaving huge gaps, driving too slow and stopping abruptly when they look up too late.

Bothers me way more than someone speeding 10-25% over the limit.
Horrible, is this not yet illegal in Calgary?

Distracted driving is much worse than speeding and almost as bad as drunk driving.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #6
Johnny199r
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Not a great example. Condos have the same layout by definition while the move towards identical suburban houses is a modern phenomenon. Also, at least in the beltline there are bars/cafes/restaurants which add some variety to the neighbourhood. In the suburbs it is cookie cutter houses and cookie cutter strip malls everywhere.

WRGMG is people constantly asking when my GF and I are going to buy a house and then acting like we are crazy when we say it isn't in the plans for years. Sorry we don't fit your paradigm of what a couple in their 30s should be doing but I prefer being debt free with a high disposable income and the flexibility to move.
My GF and I are both professionals who live in an apartment. Our rent is $650/month. Why the hell would we want a house? I feel your pain.

"Think of all the money you're throwing away by renting" STFU. Yeah, because owing a house has no costs associated with it.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 10-05-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #7
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
My GF and I are both professionals who live in an apartment. Our rent is $650/month. Why the hell would we want a house? I feel your pain.

"Think of all the money you're throwing away by renting" STFU. Yeah, because owing a house has no costs associated with it.
You're like the Suzie Orman of CP. I can't even remember how many subtle brag financial position posts I have read of yours. Sounds like you've got it all figured out.

also I thought you did have a mortgage you'd paid off at one point? Also my post comes across dickish but I mean it in the most teasing way possible, it's a good thing you're rich. I'll come live with you one day.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 10-05-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 10:59 PM   #8
Johnny199r
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
You're like the Suzie Orman of CP. I can't even remember how many subtle brag financial position posts I have read of yours. Sounds like you've got it all figured out.

also I thought you did have a mortgage you'd paid off at one point? Also my post comes across dickish but I mean it in the most teasing way possible, it's a good thing you're rich. I'll come live with you one day.
Not sure how living in a $650 apartment is considered a brag. Couldn't it mean I live in a run down apartment building? Or that I'm just cheap?

I've never claimed to have a mortgage I've paid off.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:06 PM   #9
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I might be getting you confused with somebody else, but I thought I remember several posts of yours regarding financial discipline and again, that's a good thing ultimately.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:08 PM   #10
Johnny199r
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I might be getting you confused with somebody else, but I thought I remember several posts of yours regarding financial discipline and again, that's a good thing ultimately.
Yes I'm financially disciplined. I've been continually mocked for it by many. Applauded for it by a few.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:43 PM   #11
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yes I'm financially disciplined. I've been continually mocked for it by many. Applauded for it by a few.
Another item people fail to account for is that houses are a huge time sink. Maintenance, shopping to fill it up and the careless accumulation of stuff just because you have room in your big house.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueski For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 12:06 AM   #12
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Mr. Coffee, you may be thinking of Moneyguy, I believe.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:10 AM   #13
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I am sure you are not arguing that there are some financial gains to be had by purchasing a home. Sure, for most home buyers it's just blind luck if the value appreciates, but for the most part at the end of the day you have ended up with something of value.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:29 AM   #14
N-E-B
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I've lived in South Calgary for 36 years. I know where it is (was). When I say it's gone, I mean it's gone. lol. Seriously. All the hoppers and the machinery is gone. There are a couple of buildings way at the back of the yard. Small buildings that nobody ever saw because there was the concrete factory in front of it. Fricken disappeared.
Huh. I'm intrigued by this. I'll have to drive by this weekend.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 04:36 AM   #15
FireGilbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I initially read your post as $650/week and was seriously like okay that is not bad for Sydney. I miss renting in Calgary...
Old 10-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #16
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I initially read your post as $650/week and was seriously like okay that is not bad for Sydney. I miss renting in Calgary...
I am sure he is not in Calgary for 650/month. Unless he is so financially disciplined he qualified for subsidized housing.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:18 AM   #17
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Huh. I'm intrigued by this. I'll have to drive by this weekend.
It just disappeared. I drive by that stretch multiple times per week and last week me and my buddy were headed to the Hitmen game and he pointed out it was gone. Everything. The big piles of dirt. The machinery. All of it.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:34 AM   #18
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

WRGMG is volleyball players that think they are soccer stars. The ball is on the ground so they try to kick it up to themselves, someone else or kick a dead ball out of the air. You suck at soccer and look like a fool when you screw up and have to chase down the volleyball.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 09:37 AM   #19
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I played on a very rec league and had a guy on our team that would constantly dig for the balls with his feet. Being as we're not professionals, and most of us have never played organized volleyball there were a few very close calls with said feet and our faces.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:58 AM   #20
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

You're allowed to use any part of your body to get the ball over the net. If the person in front of you misses a ball that was clearly theirs, you're going to be a lot quicker to react to a low ball with your feet than you will trying to dive for it?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote