Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
InglewoodFan
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default You Know What Really Grinds My Gears Part V

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
It grinds my gears that I have a question to ask that doesn't warrant a thread.

So I guess I'll ask here, since this thread gets lots of views... WTF happened to the Lafarge plant by Southland and Deerfoot? It's gone. When did this happen? Where did it go?
Don't know where the plant went (maybe scrap?) but the land was sold to Remington. Same developers as Quarry Park.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #2
The Yen Man
Franchise Player
 
The Yen Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
When people say "cookie cutter houses" as a slight.

Like these people using the term live in some architectural marvels like the Taj Mahal or some ####.

"I'd never live in a cookie cutter house, or I hate cookie cutter houses"

I personally live in an ugly 1970s era ghetto apartment and don't care what it looks like, but those people who think that somehow they're going to be in architecture weekly someday with their normal ass budget just kills me.

You know who lives in awesome houses? Rich people.
Lol, not only this, but the most cookie cutter is the downtown or belt line condo. Two colours to choose from, light or dark, and then 50 units with the exact same finishings in almost the exact same style layouts. But suburban homes are cookie cutter, har har.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:01 PM   #3
blueski
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Exp:
Default

People texting and driving. Was in stop and go traffic on crowchild tail south, out of twenty cars passing me and then me passing them as we slowly go south at least five people were constantly texting the whole time. Leaving huge gaps, driving too slow and stopping abruptly when they look up too late.

Bothers me way more than someone speeding 10-25% over the limit.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:07 PM   #4
FireGilbert
First Line Centre
 
FireGilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sydney
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Lol, not only this, but the most cookie cutter is the downtown or belt line condo. Two colours to choose from, light or dark, and then 50 units with the exact same finishings in almost the exact same style layouts. But suburban homes are cookie cutter, har har.
Not a great example. Condos have the same layout by definition while the move towards identical suburban houses is a modern phenomenon. Also, at least in the beltline there are bars/cafes/restaurants which add some variety to the neighbourhood. In the suburbs it is cookie cutter houses and cookie cutter strip malls everywhere.

WRGMG is people constantly asking when my GF and I are going to buy a house and then acting like we are crazy when we say it isn't in the plans for years. Sorry we don't fit your paradigm of what a couple in their 30s should be doing but I prefer being debt free with a high disposable income and the flexibility to move.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:10 PM   #5
FireGilbert
First Line Centre
 
FireGilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sydney
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueski View Post
People texting and driving. Was in stop and go traffic on crowchild tail south, out of twenty cars passing me and then me passing them as we slowly go south at least five people were constantly texting the whole time. Leaving huge gaps, driving too slow and stopping abruptly when they look up too late.

Bothers me way more than someone speeding 10-25% over the limit.
Horrible, is this not yet illegal in Calgary?

Distracted driving is much worse than speeding and almost as bad as drunk driving.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #6
Johnny199r
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Uzbekistan
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Not a great example. Condos have the same layout by definition while the move towards identical suburban houses is a modern phenomenon. Also, at least in the beltline there are bars/cafes/restaurants which add some variety to the neighbourhood. In the suburbs it is cookie cutter houses and cookie cutter strip malls everywhere.

WRGMG is people constantly asking when my GF and I are going to buy a house and then acting like we are crazy when we say it isn't in the plans for years. Sorry we don't fit your paradigm of what a couple in their 30s should be doing but I prefer being debt free with a high disposable income and the flexibility to move.
My GF and I are both professionals who live in an apartment. Our rent is $650/month. Why the hell would we want a house? I feel your pain.

"Think of all the money you're throwing away by renting" STFU. Yeah, because owing a house has no costs associated with it.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 10-05-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #7
Mr.Coffee
damn onions
 
Mr.Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
My GF and I are both professionals who live in an apartment. Our rent is $650/month. Why the hell would we want a house? I feel your pain.

"Think of all the money you're throwing away by renting" STFU. Yeah, because owing a house has no costs associated with it.
You're like the Suzie Orman of CP. I can't even remember how many subtle brag financial position posts I have read of yours. Sounds like you've got it all figured out.

also I thought you did have a mortgage you'd paid off at one point? Also my post comes across dickish but I mean it in the most teasing way possible, it's a good thing you're rich. I'll come live with you one day.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 10-05-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 10:59 PM   #8
Johnny199r
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Uzbekistan
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
You're like the Suzie Orman of CP. I can't even remember how many subtle brag financial position posts I have read of yours. Sounds like you've got it all figured out.

also I thought you did have a mortgage you'd paid off at one point? Also my post comes across dickish but I mean it in the most teasing way possible, it's a good thing you're rich. I'll come live with you one day.
Not sure how living in a $650 apartment is considered a brag. Couldn't it mean I live in a run down apartment building? Or that I'm just cheap?

I've never claimed to have a mortgage I've paid off.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:06 PM   #9
Mr.Coffee
damn onions
 
Mr.Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

I might be getting you confused with somebody else, but I thought I remember several posts of yours regarding financial discipline and again, that's a good thing ultimately.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:08 PM   #10
Johnny199r
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Uzbekistan
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I might be getting you confused with somebody else, but I thought I remember several posts of yours regarding financial discipline and again, that's a good thing ultimately.
Yes I'm financially disciplined. I've been continually mocked for it by many. Applauded for it by a few.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:43 PM   #11
blueski
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Yes I'm financially disciplined. I've been continually mocked for it by many. Applauded for it by a few.
Another item people fail to account for is that houses are a huge time sink. Maintenance, shopping to fill it up and the careless accumulation of stuff just because you have room in your big house.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueski For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 12:06 AM   #12
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Mr. Coffee, you may be thinking of Moneyguy, I believe.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:10 AM   #13
Wormius
Franchise Player
 
Wormius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere down the crazy river.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
My GF and I are both professionals who live in an apartment. Our rent is $650/month. Why the hell would we want a house? I feel your pain.

"Think of all the money you're throwing away by renting" STFU. Yeah, because owing a house has no costs associated with it.

I am sure you are not arguing that there are some financial gains to be had by purchasing a home. Sure, for most home buyers it's just blind luck if the value appreciates, but for the most part at the end of the day you have ended up with something of value.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:29 AM   #14
N-E-B
#1 Goaltender
 
N-E-B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I've lived in South Calgary for 36 years. I know where it is (was). When I say it's gone, I mean it's gone. lol. Seriously. All the hoppers and the machinery is gone. There are a couple of buildings way at the back of the yard. Small buildings that nobody ever saw because there was the concrete factory in front of it. Fricken disappeared.
Huh. I'm intrigued by this. I'll have to drive by this weekend.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 04:36 AM   #15
FireGilbert
First Line Centre
 
FireGilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sydney
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
My GF and I are both professionals who live in an apartment. Our rent is $650/month. Why the hell would we want a house? I feel your pain.

"Think of all the money you're throwing away by renting" STFU. Yeah, because owing a house has no costs associated with it.
I initially read your post as $650/week and was seriously like okay that is not bad for Sydney. I miss renting in Calgary...
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #16
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player
 
VladtheImpaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I initially read your post as $650/week and was seriously like okay that is not bad for Sydney. I miss renting in Calgary...
I am sure he is not in Calgary for 650/month. Unless he is so financially disciplined he qualified for subsidized housing.
__________________
Cordially as always,
Vlad the Impaler

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:18 AM   #17
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player
 
Huntingwhale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Huh. I'm intrigued by this. I'll have to drive by this weekend.
It just disappeared. I drive by that stretch multiple times per week and last week me and my buddy were headed to the Hitmen game and he pointed out it was gone. Everything. The big piles of dirt. The machinery. All of it.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:34 AM   #18
GP_Matt
First Line Centre
 
GP_Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Edmonton
Exp:
Default

WRGMG is volleyball players that think they are soccer stars. The ball is on the ground so they try to kick it up to themselves, someone else or kick a dead ball out of the air. You suck at soccer and look like a fool when you screw up and have to chase down the volleyball.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 09:37 AM   #19
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender
 
wooohooo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Exp:
Default

I played on a very rec league and had a guy on our team that would constantly dig for the balls with his feet. Being as we're not professionals, and most of us have never played organized volleyball there were a few very close calls with said feet and our faces.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:58 AM   #20
polak
In the Sin Bin
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Exp:
Default

You're allowed to use any part of your body to get the ball over the net. If the person in front of you misses a ball that was clearly theirs, you're going to be a lot quicker to react to a low ball with your feet than you will trying to dive for it?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:56 AM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016