Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #21
GoJetsGo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Which is why I don't understand why you are having such a hissy fit. I thought the kid looked really good in the preseason and was the Canucks best forward in the playoffs and if he can play like that in the regular season I don't think the comparison's are that far fetched. Monahan after all has one more full NHL season under his belt so we will have to see how Horvat progresses in the regular season.

I don't agree with Canucks fans saying he's already as good as Monahan but I also don't agree with Flames fans that seem to think that it's not even close. We won't know the answer until these guys are in or past their mid-20's.
Pretty funny being accused of having a hissy fit from one of the board's most enduring, negative presences.

My posts have been very calm and straight forward. A small sample size of games doesn't put them close to the same level, and you just admitted you don't agree with them being ranked closely right now. That is the only point I ever made with regard to some overzealous Canuck fans and a couple people here lost in hyperbole.

Regardless of Horvat's play in the pre-season (also funny that you used that to get in another one of your typical worried digs at the Flames as a whole), he has a long way to go before he's anywhere near the level of an elite top line centre in the league. In case you forgot, in two short seasons, Monahan is already there, playing the hardest minutes, scoring thirty goals, and 60+ points ranking firmly and deservingly amongst the 30 top pivots in the league.

No one needs you to put a temper on everything. There is nothing insulting or damning to Horvat to simply conclude he isn't on Monahan's level right now.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #22
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Pretty funny being accused of having a hissy fit from one of the board's most enduring, negative presences.

My posts have been very calm and straight forward. A small sample size of games doesn't put them close to the same level, and you just admitted you don't agree with them being ranked closely right now. That is the only point I ever made with regard to some overzealous Canuck fans and a couple people here lost in hyperbole.

Regardless of Horvat's play in the pre-season (also funny that you used that to get in another one of your typical worried digs at the Flames as a whole), he has a long way to go before he's anywhere near the level of an elite top line centre in the league. In case you forgot, in two short seasons, Monahan is already there, playing the hardest minutes, scoring thirty goals, and 60+ points ranking firmly and deservingly amongst the 30 top pivots in the league.

No one needs you to put a temper on everything. There is nothing insulting or damning to Horvat to simply conclude he isn't on Monahan's level right now.
I still don't understand why you are making such a deal with this and why you feel you have to continually point out how I'm such a negative poster. I'm sorry if you don't like me but there's not a lot I can do about that.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #23
GoJetsGo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I still don't understand why you are making such a deal with this and why you feel you have to continually point out how I'm such a negative poster. I'm sorry if you don't like me but there's not a lot I can do about that.
If you don't like having it pointed out that you're negative perhaps look at using terms like "hissy fit" a little less, as it tends to stifle discussion.

I feel my point is a pretty simple one, yet you've continue to take issue with it. Hence the further explanation. I'm not sure I could have simplified it any further, and it seems a fairly straight forward and valid point. You seemed to agree with it for the most part, yet you're continuing, making a bigger deal out of it yourself.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #24
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you don't like having it pointed out that you're negative perhaps look at using terms like "hissy fit" a little less, as it tends to stifle discussion.

I feel my point is a pretty simple one, yet you've continue to take issue with it. Hence the further explanation. I'm not sure I could have simplified it any further, and it seems a fairly straight forward and valid point. You seemed to agree with it for the most part, yet you're continuing, making a bigger deal out of it yourself.
I believe this snide comment was where you went off track;

Quote:
So did the Edmonton Oilers. I honestly thought you were being facetious. The fact you are serious is almost funny.
Take it to PM as you simply aren't making sense. I actually agreed with you initially and simply said that Horvat did look better in preseason as I have been impressed with what I saw from him. You took issue with my post as your opinion really doesn't matter that much to me to take this conversation any further.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-05-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #25
GoJetsGo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Take it to PM as you simply aren't making sense. You took issue with my post as your opinion really doesn't matter that much to me.
Not sure what doesn't make sense about Horvat not being on Monahan's level right now, but I have zero interest in speaking with you privately.

After suggesting his pre-season play makes it a closer conversation (which is what I disagreed with in the first place) you went on to say you don't think they're on the same level.

Good enough for me. Again, pretty simple.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #26
shogged
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Take it to PM .
aka I know i'm going to lose this argument and i'd like to save face lol
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:03 PM   #27
Larry David
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:

Come on man, you didn't want to have a conversation. Go back and read your posts again that are in response to him. Every single one of them are basically insinuating he's not too bright. Seems to me as an observant you were looking to pick a fight.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #28
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
aka I know i'm going to lose this argument and i'd like to save face lol
To be honest I'm not exactly sure what his argument is lol which is why I bailed out. I guess Horvat is nowhere near the caliber of player Monahan is and that cannot be debated.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #29
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry David View Post
Come on man, you didn't want to have a conversation. Go back and read your posts again that are in response to him. Every single one of them are basically insinuating he's not too bright. Seems to me as an observant you were looking to pick a fight.
Thanks. I wasn't sure if maybe I was being too thin skinned or not but that's certainly the way this guy always seems to address me and it does get tiresome.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #30
GoJetsGo
Franchise Player

Exp:

And there's the victim card.

It's funny, with all the foreboding of the pre-season Estrada mentioned on the previous page, there were several people ripping him for it.

I say I think it's "almost funny" to use the preseason as an indicator Horvat is on Monahan's level, and I'm insulting him. Of course he fires right back with the "hissy fit" comment and goes on to tell me he agrees with me when all said and done, but why let that get in the way of feeling victimized.

I said the pre-season is no indicator, and used the Oilers as an example why. Another excellent point lost in that, is that a lot of Horvat's good play came against the Oilers.

Regardless, it comes full circle with the " I guess Horvat is nowhere near the caliber of player Monahan is and that cannot be debated." comment. Again confusing the very simple and straight forward point that they simply aren't on the same level right now.

All par for the course with this poster.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:31 PM   #31
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

last paged summed up in gif form:
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Benched For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 01:36 PM   #32
Fire in the disco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The past page of this thread is no good
Fire in the disco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire in the disco For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #33
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No one remembers preseason team performance at the end of the season, let alone individual performances. Game 1 everything is on another level. Game 20 it's ramped up even more.

Most players know not to be stupid and risk leaving it all out there in a game that means nothing. Young players like Horvat, Eichel, Ehlers etc will hold back less in the exhibitions so they'll look extra flashy. Calling Horvat top center material based on some meaningless games is up there with Edmontonians in the preseason on the scale of premature mouth running.

Horvats a good player. Probably destined to be a top 6 C. But that's still just a projection at this point, and nothing more.
ScorchyScorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #34
Galakanokis
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is one of the worst arguments on this board and makes one wish the This Post is Terrible poster was still around.

Horvat is an excellent player and yes, has looked like Vancouver's best player all training camp and the later parts of last season and the playoffs. No one, not a single person in this thread has said he looks to be on Sean Monahan's level because of his preseason performance. They simply said, based on his play to end last season and his continuance to look good to start this year the debate is not as far fetched as some make it out to seem. That's it. No big deal but others feel the need to jump all over it to poo poo a poster or an organization. Just plain old stupid.

Preseason matters. There is no doubt that Horvat has made the team but he is still a young guy fighting for his pecking order on the team. He's proving to the team that he wants that 2nd line centre spot and he went out and earned it. Ask Paul Byron if training camp is useless. Will it indicate how his season will go? Maybe not 100% but he put himself in a better position to get results becasue of it.

Now, let's get back to making fun of the Sedins and the fact that Bartowski and Sibsa could actually be an NHL pairing...
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 06:28 PM   #35
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading the above post and then getting to that last part about the defense...

d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:26 PM   #36
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Found some comic gold browsing a rival fan base forum.
Found these quotes on page 5 (yup page 5) of a thread entitled
"Ferklund - what will be the Canucks response on opening night?"

Quote:
He made their opening lineup? Yikes.
Quote:
This thread is embarrassing to us a fanbase. We allowed one player (a marginal one at best) to get in our heads. Because the Canucks couldn't do anything about him on the ice, we have to create thread(s) to whine about him.
Quote:
I disagree re ferlund but you're right about hiller. Ferlund wasn't alone. The other crucial player aside from hiller was kris Russell.
My point(s) on ferlund relate to the fact that if we had a player like that, doing what he did/does during the playoffs, while the Sedins are scoring goals, the butthurt can't get over it fans here would be doing back flips in the street.
Quote:
Why are people still concerning themselves over a dirty, fringe NHL'er?
Quote:
Just a wild guess but maybe because he dismantled a veteran playoff team with ease?
Quote:
twins are safe his mom told him not to hurt them because she likes them lol.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 09:50 PM   #37
Robo
First Line Centre

Exp:

lol so many canuck fans saying ferland wouldn't fight dorsett yet completly forgot that in the first game dorsett goated ferland into a penalty by not dropping his gloves. looks like Vancouver fans memories are like their team .... no good
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #38
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
Found some comic gold browsing a rival fan base forum.
Found these quotes on page 5 (yup page 5) of a thread entitled
"Ferklund - what will be the Canucks response on opening night?"
LOL. I read that thread. Man some of the folks over there are pathetic.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #39
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Vancouver loses Corrado to Leafs VIA waivers. They could of kept Corrado by LTIRing Higgins but either decided not to or didn't have a clue what they were doing.

Canuck fans are not happy to lose a 22 year old 6'2" RH D-man for no reason. Can't say I blame them.

Makes losing Byron on waivers easier to take.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #40
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

They knew about the LTIR thing

would have had to send Hutton down, LTIR Higgins, bring Hutton back up. They definitely knew about the way to do it and media had been talking about it for 3 days. So they have to be in a situation where they aren't that high on him

seems strange though, but then 2 teams with serious D problems (Edmonton and Arizona) passed on him
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote