Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #2841
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope that all of those keyboard warriors become Tier 1 (copyright Kevin Lowe) fans and attend the Canucks games during the rebuild.
NJ Devils finished 27th overall; that may not sound like an accomplishment, but it is the highest any Taylor Hall NHL team has finished in an 82 game season. Hall has not played for a team that has finished any higher than 28th (30th once, and 29th & 28th twice each). Source: getbak post.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #2842
Textcritic
Referee

Exp:

I wasn't sure where to put this, but Marcus Granlund's career season has ended with wrist surgery this past weekend.

In more no-good news, the Canucks are presently sitting with 65 points and 11 games remaining which includes visits to Chicago, StL, Minnesota and SJ, and home games against Anaheim, and SJ. The Vancouver media blanched at the suggestion that the Canucks would finish with 68 points. This looks like an eminently reachable target.
Biblical Texts Older than the Bible
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #2843
Oil Stain
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Ha. After guy writes essay on merits of Vancouver blue line and how it steam rolls calgary's blue line, next guy says " but Calgary has 3 #1 defenseman". Comedy.
The average Canuck fan view of their blueline is absurd.

I know these guys are their hope for the future but I don't see any special talents in the gang of Hutton, Stecher and Tryamkin.

I Stand by that remark.-MrMastodonFarm
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #2844
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Too bad. Would have been nice for him to hit 20 goals -- he'll finish with 19.

Good production for a guy making $900k and is still under contract for another season.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:19 PM   #2845
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I don't post on HF so and don't go there when things are going bad for Calgary so not shocked when this thread slipped past
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2180251

I know fans get delusional hopes when their team needs a rebuild but this is over the top.
Big shoutout to Ashasx for the one-liner at the bottom of Page 1. CP Represent!
Old 03-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #2846
Beninho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
The average Canuck fan view of their blueline is absurd.

I know these guys are their hope for the future but I don't see any special talents in the gang of Hutton, Stecher and Tryamkin.
Stecher has the most skill and is a nice young player but I wouldn't pencil any of those guys as potential no.1 guys. Tryamkin doesn't have the vision or the shot to be anywhere close to Chara, so that comparison is laughable. Hutton is pretty bad defensively and has had an awful year. They gotta look for potential somewhere but I don't see it as well.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #2847
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vancouver is well regarded as having some of the finest dining in Canada, what I want to know is where are these guys eating at? First tweet from March 11th is below:

Vancouver Canucks ✔ @Canucks
LINE-UP UPDATE: Tanev and Granlund will not play tonight due to food poisoning.

and here's today's tweet:

Vancouver Canucks ✔ @Canucks
Markstrom has food poisoning and won't travel to Chicago. He may join the team along the trip.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #2848
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Stecher has the most skill and is a nice young player but I wouldn't pencil any of those guys as potential no.1 guys. Tryamkin doesn't have the vision or the shot to be anywhere close to Chara, so that comparison is laughable. Hutton is pretty bad defensively and has had an awful year. They gotta look for potential somewhere but I don't see it as well.
Their blue line prospects are basically "poor man's version of _____". Ben Hutton is the poor man's Shattenkirk. Stecher is the poor man's Gostisbehere. Tryamkin is the (very) poor man's Chara. None of those guys is likely to be a top pairing guy - Hutton and Stecher might end up being serviceable offensive-minded #3-4 quality defensemen. "Might" is the operative word there. Far too early to say anything at all about Juolevi.

Similar issues plague the prospects up front. Goldobin, Dahlen, Boeser? All good prospects. Virtanen? Terrible year, but he's 20 and talented, so who knows, maybe he turns into something. But it's highly unlikely that any of them turn into elite producers. Boeser is probably the best chance they have at that, and he's certainly a fantastic prospect for where he was picked especially in a strong draft class (if you redrafted he'd probably go ten spots earlier)... but ain't none of these guys franchise players in the making.

They had high hopes for Demko being a cornerstone, but he's had a rough first pro season. Goalies are voodoo, so who knows, but there's just nothing to get truly excited about at any position.
If you were given the option to pay 45 cents to predict the outcome of a coin flip, and if correct in your prediction you win a dollar, you may lose 45 cents on the first try. You may even lose 90 cents after the second try. But if you keep betting, you'll end up ahead in the long term. This is the value of analytics. They do not describe destiny, only the likeliest result.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #2849
shadowlord
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It feels like every year, the Canucks (team/fans/media) are touting a new set of prospects that don't really end up making an impact a few seasons later.

McCann, Virtanen, Shinkaruk, Jordan Subban, Jensen, Corrado, Jordan Schroeder... The local media touts these guys like surefire NHL contributors. I used to get concerned about how those prospects would compare to our touted prospects: Gaudreau, Brodie, Backlund or Phaneuf. But in the end, talk fades out about them and moves onto the more current set of prospects.

So currently, they're high on Demko, Goldobin, and Boeser. They may be legitimate prospects in their own right, but won't drink the Canucks' kool-aid yet.

Past experience has shown me that their evaluation of their talent pool is premature.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:33 PM   #2850
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boeser has regressed this year too it seems. Needs a bounce back year next year IMHO

3 songs from What Is Love:
Hey There Mama
Lucy Long Legs
No Two Ways
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #2851
Hockey-and_stuff
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hasn't Boeser been injured this year? Hard to tell if he is regressing if so.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:13 PM   #2852
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
Hasn't Boeser been injured this year? Hard to tell if he is regressing if so.
He did have wrist surgery before the world juniours but that's when hockey slows down for College anyways.

He put up 27 goals and 33 assists in 42 games last year while posting a +45

His numbers have dropped to 16/17 for 33 and a +6 in 11 less games going from a 1.43 pace to just over a point a game pace.

The wrist surgery obviously played into that and losing Caggiula and Shmaltz to the NHL has hurt as well but this has been a tough year for him to overcome. Next year will be a big year for him.

3 songs from What Is Love:
Hey There Mama
Lucy Long Legs
No Two Ways
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:06 PM   #2853
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

His wrist was injured prior to deciding to have surgery as well he was trying to play through it
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:14 PM   #2854
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also on Demko he had a horrible start but his last few months when he's settled in have been excellent

The media never really hyped Canucks prospects either before this current group so I don't get where that comes from, they continually blasted Gillis and before him Nonis for his failure in drafting.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:30 PM   #2855
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Boeser is a good prospect, with top line potential in my opinion.
And Joe Levi, while not being the guy they should have picked, is still solid.

The real whiff was Virtanen. That has gone from being a pick that was simply way too high, to now a guy that probably should not have gone in the top 20, or perhaps first at all.

Just a disaster of a pick.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #2856
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
The real whiff was Virtanen. That has gone from being a pick that was simply way too high, to now a guy that probably should not have gone in the top 20, or perhaps first at all.

The added schadenfreude of the Canucks passing on Tkachuk is that Matthew is EXACTLY the type of player Virtanen was supposed to be.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:46 PM   #2857
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Boeser is a good prospect, with top line potential in my opinion.
And Joe Levi, while not being the guy they should have picked, is still solid.

This does happen to every team. The question is how this guy was gifted a roster spot for 2 straight camps.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:25 AM   #2858
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
The added schadenfreude of the Canucks passing on Tkachuk is that Matthew is EXACTLY the type of player Virtanen was supposed to be.
I don't think Virtanen was supposed to be a dirty, head hunting mini-Cooke. But whatever he was supposed to be, he hasn't turned into it yet so that part is at least correct.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:34 AM   #2859
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I don't think Virtanen was supposed to be a dirty, head hunting mini-Cooke.
Oh man so jelly.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:29 AM   #2860
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously I'm a Canuck fan, but reading some Canucks fans reaction on the Tkachuk hit is hilarious. Some saying they are so glad the Canucks past on a dirty cheap player in Tkachuk. I guess you gotta justify it in anyway to make us feel better about not taking Tkachuk.