Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #61
sa226
First Line Centre
 
sa226's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Back in Calgary!!
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Locke - do you do business taxes as well as personal?
See, posts like this scare me. Is there an inside joke that I'm not privy to that will just make me look like an idiot? Is this a troll post? Or did you just not read the thread title.

The way it shows up in Tapatalk is particularly hilarious.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #62
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Much appreciated guys! I met a lot of new CPers this year!

I just wanted to throw this out there: When someone says that they tried it themselves and found they were owing and then came to me and 'all of a sudden' were receiving a refund, this is no feat of magic on my part, its typically because some people dont know about certain claims or deductions or are too conservative to make perfectly eligible claims or elections.
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #63
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!
 
Ozy_Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
See, posts like this scare me. Is there an inside joke that I'm not privy to that will just make me look like an idiot? Is this a troll post? Or did you just not read the thread title.

The way it shows up in Tapatalk is particularly hilarious.
I'm legitimately interested in independent contractor tax services. This is a serious question.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #64
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Locke - do you do business taxes as well as personal?
Yes I do. Both sole-proprietors and Corporations.
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #65
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Much appreciated guys! I met a lot of new CPers this year!

I just wanted to throw this out there: When someone says that they tried it themselves and found they were owing and then came to me and 'all of a sudden' were receiving a refund, this is no feat of magic on my part, its typically because some people dont know about certain claims or deductions or are too conservative to make perfectly eligible claims or elections.
Probably a good point to make! I'll note that I owed before meeting with Locke and still had to pay when it was all said and done but that doesn't mean it wasn't good service and worth it from my perspective.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:35 PM   #66
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Probably a good point to make! I'll note that I owed before meeting with Locke and still had to pay when it was all said and done but that doesn't mean it wasn't good service and worth it from my perspective.
Its why, when you're not sure, you get an accountant. Unlike you I've seen it all. Thousands and thousands of times.

So many times....so many soul-crushing times....but enough about that.
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:15 AM   #67
The Goon
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary...Alberta, Canada
Exp:
Default

Hi, bumping this thread as Locke recently helped my wife and I complete our (tardy) 2015 tax returns.

We had held off because 2015 introduced a couple of new wrinkles, but Locke was able to simplify things and explain it in a way that made sense. I'm really happy we found him through this site.

At a larger level, CP through the years has helped connect me to an excellent wedding photographer, a strong furnace repair guy, and now a fantastic tax services representative. Lots of good people out there in Calgary.
__________________
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:20 PM   #68
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

In Honour of another year.

__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #69
JonDuke
Franchise Player
 
JonDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
In Honour of another year.

JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #70
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Just an interesting note, if you have costs for medicinal marijuana, it is recognized by Revenue Canada as a legitimate Medical Expense.

But be prepared to provide copies of the prescription and receipts.
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #71
Backlunds_socks
In the Sin Bin
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Exp:
Default

pm'd
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:00 AM   #72
Calgary14
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Exp:
Default

Locke, do you know if there is a legal requirement for an employer to send a T4 via regular mail? For the 3rd year in a row my T4 has arrived already opened, likely by a neighbour. Thinking of asking my company to not send it via regular mail anymore but not sure if they are legally required to send a physical copy to each employee. I already have an electronic copy before they even send out the hard copy one so there's really no point in using regular mail
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:25 PM   #73
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Locke, do you know if there is a legal requirement for an employer to send a T4 via regular mail? For the 3rd year in a row my T4 has arrived already opened, likely by a neighbour. Thinking of asking my company to not send it via regular mail anymore but not sure if they are legally required to send a physical copy to each employee. I already have an electronic copy before they even send out the hard copy one so there's really no point in using regular mail
There is not.

And you're right, most employers have a digital option and some dont even bother with the physical option, the fact that your employer does both is actually a little short-sighted, depending on their number of employees they'd be spending some serious money on postage that they dont really have to.
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #74
Cflames_12.5
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Cflames_12.5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary Alberta
Exp:
Default

Great Job Locke. Thank you so much for your help this weekend. I definitely would recommend anyone to Locke for their Tax situations.
Cflames_12.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #75
sa226
First Line Centre
 
sa226's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Back in Calgary!!
Exp:
Default

I have a question regarding how businesses account for per diems paid to their employees.

In laymans terms (spoiler alert, I'm a layman) If a business has a set "pie" of money to doll out to their employees in the form of salary etc, generally any bargaining between the two sides sets just how that pie is divided.....But when it comes time to balance the books are per diems part of that pie? Does the business claim that as an expense of sorts?
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:49 PM   #76
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I have a question regarding how businesses account for per diems paid to their employees.

In laymans terms (spoiler alert, I'm a layman) If a business has a set "pie" of money to doll out to their employees in the form of salary etc, generally any bargaining between the two sides sets just how that pie is divided.....But when it comes time to balance the books are per diems part of that pie? Does the business claim that as an expense of sorts?
Hm. I'm going to tell you that thats a tough question.

Per Diems would be part of a company's employment expenses, but its hard to say that they would be part of an 'immovable' pie.

My semi-informed answer would be: No.

Typically salary and 'Per Diems' for out of town work are not calculated together. They can be, but they are more often very separate things.

How they are accounted for within an employer's budget? I cant really say.

Typically the Per Diem is a set, standard rate depending on the circumstances. Sometimes its just meals, or theres hotels, travel, etc, it could be any mix of them.

How a company internally budgets for Per Diems? I cant really comment on that.
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #77
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger
 
MrCallahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Thanks again, Locke!

Second year going, and was a seamless process! see you again, same time next year!
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:02 AM   #78
CroFlames
Franchise Player
 
CroFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

I'd like to recommend Locke as well. I had and have a very unique tax situation having been a resident of the USA and Canada in the same year with accounts all over the damn place, and I needed a tax professional ASAP to do my taxes for both countries. Apparently, my deadline was sooner than most because of my unique status.

Locke was able to get me in contact with one of his colleagues who specialize in my situation. Furthermore, because of his referral, his colleague bumped me up in the priority line and began working on my case immediately. Everything was taken care of in time, and she opened my eyes to things I had no idea I needed to know.

Locke is a true professional in his industry and has a solid network. If he can't help you directly, he'll find you someone (reliable) who can.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #79
kunkstyle
Franchise Player
 
kunkstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

Shout out to Locke again this year. Solid work, and super quick!
kunkstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #80
TorqueDog
First Line Centre
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Once again, another happy customer of Klassen Tax Services. My tax scenario being what it is given my home office, education, and travel expenses, Locke's expertise provides considerable value in identifying potential areas for savings. He's very fairly priced, and he's quick, too.

A++, will be back next year. And his logo is pretty sweet.
__________________
If the Flames are playing, GO FLAMES GO.
If the Jets are playing, GO JE-... nm, ғ**ĸ the Jets.
GO FLAMES GO.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 PM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016