Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #2501
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Just watched Kong Skull : Island. It was entertaining, but there was something that was bothering me that I just couldn't put my finger on.

I think that it came down to inconsistency in the writing. There were 3 screenwriters, and one guy credited with 'story'. At some points, things were smartly done, and others were Micheal Bayish, and yet others seemed written by a producers cousin.

Be prepared to shut your brain off a little, and you will enjoy this movie.

Spoiler!
I saw this too and really enjoyed it. I think that weird feeling is the editing though -- it's not great. I noticed a number of times scenes just cut out a second or two too early or late. And it's hard for us to keep track of where any of the characters physically are on the island.

Great effects though, and John C Reilly steals the show. And I was surprised by some actually really great cinematography. It's a big budget dumb movie that does have some level of artistry to it, which is nice to see, even if it wasn't executed flawlessly.

Looking to sell your old iPhone or get a great deal buying a new one? Check out Orchard
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #2502
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife really wanted to see Beauty and the Beast, so we went last night.

It's beautiful. Truly a stunning film visually. It's watchable for that reason alone.

And that might be the only reason to watch it. Unless you're a fan of this particular movie, I wouldn't rush out to see it. There were some solid performances, and the musical numbers weren't too shabby, but I found it hard to care about anything or anyone in this story. It might just be me in this case, but that's how I felt about it.

Beautiful, but a little hollow. 6/10.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #2503
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beauty and the Beast was a continuous movie selection in our house when my kids were small. It's my favourite Disney film. I thought this movie was excellent. I wasn't a huge fan of the new songs, but that would be my only negative comment.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:51 PM   #2504
manwiches
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Took my wife to see Beauty and the Beast tonight.

My wife loved it. So did I for that matter. Both of us are huge Disney nuts, so that probably helps, but I found in general, it was a fantastic movie regardless.

Amazing casting. I loved Emma Watson as Belle. Ian McLennan as Cogsworth was awesome.

I found it was the perfect marriage between nostalgia and making it it's own. Throughout the movie, I was looking for things that were the same from the original. And when it wasn't, I was more pleasantly surprised that it was different, but in a good way

I enjoyed the extra songs, as I feel they added to the context of the story. While not the same or nostalgic, they were within the same frame and temper as the others, and didn't stick out at all. As for the originals, I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Visually beautiful. Wow.

I highly recommend watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:11 AM   #2505
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
My question is: who are horrors made for? Do teenagers who haven't seen decades of the genre enjoy these movies because they're still fresh to them? I imagine I may have liked Ouija when I was a kid but I assumed this generation would be less easily impressed with so much more content available today. I've watched horrors since I was six years old and I just yawn through the majority of them now.
This might be of interest to you.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #2506
Strange Brew
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
Took my wife to see Beauty and the Beast tonight.

My wife loved it. So did I for that matter. Both of us are huge Disney nuts, so that probably helps, but I found in general, it was a fantastic movie regardless.

Amazing casting. I loved Emma Watson as Belle. Ian McLennan as Cogsworth was awesome.

I found it was the perfect marriage between nostalgia and making it it's own. Throughout the movie, I was looking for things that were the same from the original. And when it wasn't, I was more pleasantly surprised that it was different, but in a good way

I enjoyed the extra songs, as I feel they added to the context of the story. While not the same or nostalgic, they were within the same frame and temper as the others, and didn't stick out at all. As for the originals, I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Visually beautiful. Wow.

I highly recommend watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm looking forward to seeing this. Disney killing it with the live action remakes. Enjoyed Maleficent, Jungle Book and Cinderella so I suspect this one is great too. Thanks for the comments.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #2507
Oil Stain
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I watched Mr.Church on a plane recently. It really gets you right in the feels.

Eddie Murphy was very good in a serious role.

Critics hated it. Audience liked it. I thought it was worth the time spent.

I Stand by that remark.-MrMastodonFarm
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #2508
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
This might be of interest to you.

All his points were about things I have complained about. I guess I just want to know why. Why don't the masses see through these terrible movies and their cheap "scare" tactics? Before my time ends on this planet, I need to find someone who liked Ouija and have them explain why to me.

Oh, and the sequel was infinitely better than the first. It won't be a classic or anything, but it was worth the watch.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burnin_vernon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 05:44 AM   #2509
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess I just want to know why. Why don't the masses see through these terrible movies and their cheap "scare" tactics? Before my time ends on this planet, I need to find someone who liked Ouija and have them explain why to me.
I don't think people go to see those movies because they think they're good movies. The "masses" might not have much understanding of movie making techniques, but they do know what they like, and they express that by saying "that was a good movie". And nobody says Ouija was a good movie. That's not the appeal.

This is pure speculation, but I think there's something psychologically appealing and comforting about a completely predictable "horror" movie that's not really that scary. I think people like fake jump scares exactly because they're fake. It's comforting. It tells to you that most things you're scared of are not actually dangerous.

I think those movies exist to confirm to people that there are no real boogiemen, that all the monsters are special effects and props and nobody really dies in these stories. After the movie everybody can get up and have a laugh about how silly it is to think that an ouija-board might be actually magic or that a creepy looking doll might actually come alive. Horror movie mass audiences tends to mostly be rather young, teenagers and people in their twenties. People who are more likely to still secretly have irrational childhood fears. I think a bad horror movie helps people get rid of those fears.

I also think a lot of people find it relaxing to watch movies where they constantly know what's going to happen. I know when I'm sick I like to watch stuff like that. Often stuff I've already seen, but in any case nothing that would in any way challenge me.

In other words, I think most people don't watch horror movies to be scared or unsettled. They watch them to not be scared, but to be relaxed instead. And that's why bad horror movies very consistently make more money than good ones.

Last edited by Itse; 03-21-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #2510
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Another issue is that true horror films are often called thrillers.. Just look at SE7EN, Shutter Island, Silence of the Lambs, Cape Fear, etc...

I think for that youtube guy, I agree with him fully, but the type of film I think we are all here talking about that is sorely missing is what the above films do best, a psychological horror. I just hate that Hollywood titles horror films as thrillers, but such is life.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #2511
DiracSpike
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I watched Get Out last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The movie is really well done with some creepy parts, some scares, a story that ties in nicely, and some hilarious parts that had me and my friends laughing our asses off. Highly recommend
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #2512
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All his points were about things I have complained about. I guess I just want to know why. Why don't the masses see through these terrible movies and their cheap "scare" tactics? Before my time ends on this planet, I need to find someone who liked Ouija and have them explain why to me.

Oh, and the sequel was infinitely better than the first. It won't be a classic or anything, but it was worth the watch.
I think when you say masses when it comes to horror movies it's a lot of teenagers who have questionable taste at best. I know a lot of the horror movies I liked as a teen have not aged well. When you get older there's not a lot of cheap scare tactics you haven't seen many, many times already.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #2513
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Wow thank you Itse for recommending Oculus and Babadok, loved both of them! Wish we had more like them, I had already seen the Witch and enjoyed it as well, but not on the level of the other two.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:53 PM   #2514
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Wow thank you Itse for recommending Oculus and Babadok, loved both of them! Wish we had more like them, I had already seen the Witch and enjoyed it as well, but not on the level of the other two.
Glad to hear it I always try to mention if I see a good film that's not something people have obviously heard of. Which reminds me. I finally remember the name of another small horror film I also liked. Yeah, it's the third one portrayed side by side with Babadook and Oculus on that video I posted above I actually follow that guy pretty much for his recommendations for these small horror films.

The Pact (2012). Not on the level of those two, more traditional and an even smaller budget film. ($400k is really peanuts for a film that's not "found footage".) However, it was pretty well acted, I liked the story and just generally thought it was a pretty decent film that was well worth watching. Had some personality to it. So you know, don't expect too much, but since you seem to have a similar taste in small horror films it's probably worth a try.

Since I happened to see "Låt den rätte komma in" (Sweden, 2008) this week again, might as well mention it again. Not really a horror film, but a really cool very original vampire story that has a fantastic atmosphere. (There's also an American remake that I hear is good too, but I haven't seen it.)

Last edited by Itse; 03-23-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 12:08 AM   #2515
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The remake is absolutely nowhere near as good. It's not even in the same league.
If you were given the option to pay 45 cents to predict the outcome of a coin flip, and if correct in your prediction you win a dollar, you may lose 45 cents on the first try. You may even lose 90 cents after the second try. But if you keep betting, you'll end up ahead in the long term. This is the value of analytics. They do not describe destiny, only the likeliest result.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #2516
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Rewatched Fracture for the first time since it originally came out cause the girlfriend hadn't seen it. I completely forgot the story besides it being a murder mystery with Anthony Hopkins that was bad ass, the twist came back to me half way through the movie which kinda sucked but still, what an awesome flick.

Highly Recommended for those who haven't seen it. It's on Netflix too.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #2517
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally watched Hell or High Water, great movie. Jeff Bridges awesome as usual.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #2518
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
Finally watched Hell or High Water, great movie. Jeff Bridges awesome as usual.
It's on Netflix now too for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:22 PM   #2519
Resurrection
First Line Centre

Exp:

Beauty and the beast was fantastic. I saw it in the theatre when I was 11; first movie i saw alone with no parents. Crazy that 26 years later I took my baby to see it. Time flies. Made me feel young again.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resurrection For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 05:28 PM   #2520
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

How old is your baby?