Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #3781
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

And Ann Gunn is a fine actress, but after she had very obvious plastic surgery between seasons 3 and 4 (IIRC), it really undercut the authenticity. Not only did she look like a different person, but it didn't suit the character. She was supposed by a middle-age mom who's a little out of Walter's league, not the neighourhood MILTF.
Who the hell puts a 'T' in this acronym?
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jroc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 02:47 PM   #3782
MoneyGuy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My wife and I are half way through season 2 of Breaking Bad. I think the series, while good, is seriously over-rated. I think IMDB has it at 9.5; I'd give it a 7. Different tastes, I guess. My wife thinks I'd prefer Weeds. I will say that there have been a couple of gems in season 2 so we're continuing with it . I really want to find out what happens with Walter's relationship with his wife. I want to give Fargo a shot now.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #3783
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I am in the over rated camp also but you might be under rating the supporting cast a little, as I thought his wife, the cop friend, Saul and Gus were all quite good.

Doesnt come close to touching the wire or mad men. Two shows that IMO were the best things I've seen on a tv or movie screen.
Is the wire always rated so highly because the grind bored everyone so to death, and then one guy said it must be fantastic, and everyone else just now agreed so they didn't have to watch it too?
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #3784
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

That has to be it. Maybe it's great writing, I don't know. It kept putting me to sleep.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #3785
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Is the wire always rated so highly because the grind bored everyone so to death, and then one guy said it must be fantastic, and everyone else just now agreed so they didn't have to watch it too?
No grind for me! I've watched it through about four or five times. It's because the show is about so much more than a few characters and a cheesy plot. It has the depth of a novel and no easy answers are given. The modern American city and its (crumbling) institutions: by season, drugs and police, blue collar workers, politics, education, and media. It's so breathtakingly ambitious, and they pulled it off.

Likewise, the themes of BB are equally ambitious if a bit more personal: and if all you're getting is a psychopath cooking meth (how farfetched!), I'd suggest you aren't really getting it.

/pretentiousness
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #3786
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

I've watched about 40 mins of the first episode of The People vs OJ Simpson, and all I am thinking so far is I hope that the acting improves immensely. I think it's pretty much terrible all around.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #3787
puffnstuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

You can quit waiting, I saw bits and pieces of it. The acting doesnt get better.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #3788
Strange Brew
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
The Wire is not a show for short attention spans. But the payoffs throughout the series are well worth it IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #3789
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Even fans of the Wire must admit season two was garbage.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:47 AM   #3790
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really liked season 2. Season two was what cemented that the show was more than a top notch cops and robbers show.
nik- is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #3791
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post
I've watched about 40 mins of the first episode of The People vs OJ Simpson, and all I am thinking so far is I hope that the acting improves immensely. I think it's pretty much terrible all around.
Cuba Gooding Jr. is terribly miscast, and Travolta is awful. But I thought the actors playing Marcia Clark and Christopher Darden were really good.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #3792
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

Yeah, the guy playing Dardan is a good actor, and the guy playing Cochrane isn't too bad either, but Travolta and Schwimmer are awful. I am not really liking Sarah Paulson as Marcia Clark so far. It could be the writing, cause I am sick of her giving some declaration of "We're gonna get this guy," or "He's not getting away with this" every two seconds.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #3793
Strange Brew
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
No. Season 2 was excellent television and cemented the fact this was a superbly written and thought out series.

What was garbage out about it, other than it was unexpected?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #3794
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I have to disagree. In comparison to other seasons it might feel lame because it's about blue-collar white schlubs. However, the theme of the port as a major avenue for illegal trade was interesting. I even enjoyed the individual storylines to some extent.

I'll say that it ranked 4th for seasons after one viewing, but after another viewing in the context of the larger story arcs for the show, it adds a lot of depth and gives a different perspective on the problems of modern cities and the economic decisions for union workers who used to have a steady, reliable income. They're forced to make the same ethical decisions as those who are slinging drugs in the streets, and largely for the same reasons.

I agree with others that said it elevated the show from an entertainment only show to a show that intellectually important as well.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #3795
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
No. Season 2 was excellent television and cemented the fact this was a superbly written and thought out series.

What was garbage out about it, other than it was unexpected?
It's been several years and I'll keep it spoiler free.

Can't speak to how unexpected it was, I had zero expectations to start the series or season two. The second season just didn't have that payoff season one did and I found the Sobotka's to be deeply uninteresting characters and guys in that group to just be annoying actors as well. Couldn't stand Chris Bauer, James Ransone or Pablo Schreiber... especially Schreiber who can been equally terrible in Weeds or Orange in the New Black later on.

The entire story line just didn't draw me in like the first season did. It stopped my "The Wire" watching to a halt. Eventually I'll pick up the series again, maybe start over even.

So it's either all that or my ability to remain attentive took a nose dive in the days between the end of season one and when I started season two.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #3796
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Season 2 had my least-favourite character in it - Sobotka's son. But Frank Sobotka was incredible to me: true-believer blue collar union guy watching his way of life disappear all around him with no ability to change it. And so the union gets into illegal activities to try to save that way of life. Like most or all of the characters in the Wire, most are compelled to do what they're doing and you get to see them unsuccessfully swimming against the tide.

There is a speech Sobotka gives to his lobbyist with the state about his son and the union that is just epic, and the lobbyist's rebuttal is equally incredible. At 3:00 or so:

That particular story-line was the reason Trump is now president and the rust-belt turned Red: you can see the direct ties. It's absolutely insane how smart the Wire was.

Last edited by AltaGuy; 03-21-2017 at 01:26 PM.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #3797
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched a preview for HBO's Hung. Looks pretty hilarious so l think l'm gonna start watching it.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #3798
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
My wife and I are half way through season 2 of Breaking Bad. I think the series, while good, is seriously over-rated. I think IMDB has it at 9.5; I'd give it a 7. Different tastes, I guess. My wife thinks I'd prefer Weeds. I will say that there have been a couple of gems in season 2 so we're continuing with it . I really want to find out what happens with Walter's relationship with his wife. I want to give Fargo a shot now.
Season 3 and 4 is where Breaking Bad gets really good. The third last episode of the series is fantastic and a huge payoff for everything that came before.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:10 AM   #3799
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Just getting into Billions, this is an awesome show. Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis kill it as the leads, and all the supporting actors are great as well. Chuck ripping into Spyros every time they're on screen together is my favorite part so far
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #3800
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

RE: Billions

Wags is quickly becoming one of my favorite TV characters. Season 2 is a little slow but I'm starting to enjoy it more.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forged in fire