Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-16-2017, 05:50 PM   #301
Titan
First Line Centre
 
Titan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You're not deep frying them are you? I've eaten British food...its questionable...
fyp
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
You will be happier than a squirrel on a date with another, but sexier, squirrel, or a slumming mink with a squirrel fetish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
It's like losing a game of tic-tac-toe to a lobotomized chicken.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 06:08 PM   #302
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player
 
afc wimbledon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: east van
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You worry me greatly.
It did occur to me it would be a great slasher flick story, mind you I resent the fact that on TV foster parents are usually portrayed as greedy bums who don't give a rat about their kids and that might not change that perception!!
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:17 PM   #303
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
It did occur to me it would be a great slasher flick story, mind you I resent the fact that on TV foster parents are usually portrayed as greedy bums who don't give a rat about their kids and that might not change that perception!!
I have a number of foster families as clients, its quite the mixed bag.
__________________

-Killer Sig Courtesy of ATR
Socialist Hegemony of Albertan Territory - Flag courtesy of awildermode

- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #304
Tinordi
Franchise Player
 
Tinordi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Exp:
Default

Very happy. Live as an expat, work internationally, travel, good pay, meaningful work. Feel very fortunate. Comes with a cost, long hours, high stress, disconnected from family. But still, a great personal and professional move.
__________________
Sent from a computer using the internet
Tinordi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:27 AM   #305
curves2000
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary, Canada
Exp:
Default

Wow, great thread and I have been fascinated with all the different responses. I was wondering if any of you, specifically in the finance and banking field may be able to offer some potential advice for me as I am in a little bit of a predicament at the moment.

I come from a self employed family where we were in the restaurants and residential real estate business but I was always potentially looking forward to a corporate style job.

I worked in banking for one of the big 5 banks for 6 years after graduating from school and enjoyed it a lot even though for me the pay wasn't great, this is coming out of the 2008 financial crisis mind you.

Long story short I made a few different moves but my situation got to the point where my direct managers and my role within the bank become an insufferable situation. If any of you have read the CBC report with the sales pressure from banks, that was the stuff I was dealing with daily. I have zero issue with sales as I was a top performer but I was in a situation where I was being compared more and more to employees who were clearly cheating the sales system.

It got the point where I finally quit in the fall of 2014 where the economy was still strong relatively strong. Fast forward two and a half years later I have been working with the family business and kind of laying low since I don't have much in the way of financial responsibilities.

I am looking to get another crack at the business but I feel kind of stuck as to where to start? I don't really have much in the way of corporate style connections given my family's immigrant restaurant background and a lot of friends working in energy.
Anybody have any ideas as to how I may be able to explain my absence from the industry for so long without looking incompetent? I am struggling to explain this situation without looking like a total idiot when I do start applying for some new positions.

Any advice is much appreciated as I really want give the business another kick at the can.
Thx
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #306
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player
 
afc wimbledon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: east van
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Wow, great thread and I have been fascinated with all the different responses. I was wondering if any of you, specifically in the finance and banking field may be able to offer some potential advice for me as I am in a little bit of a predicament at the moment.

I come from a self employed family where we were in the restaurants and residential real estate business but I was always potentially looking forward to a corporate style job.

I worked in banking for one of the big 5 banks for 6 years after graduating from school and enjoyed it a lot even though for me the pay wasn't great, this is coming out of the 2008 financial crisis mind you.

Long story short I made a few different moves but my situation got to the point where my direct managers and my role within the bank become an insufferable situation. If any of you have read the CBC report with the sales pressure from banks, that was the stuff I was dealing with daily. I have zero issue with sales as I was a top performer but I was in a situation where I was being compared more and more to employees who were clearly cheating the sales system.

It got the point where I finally quit in the fall of 2014 where the economy was still strong relatively strong. Fast forward two and a half years later I have been working with the family business and kind of laying low since I don't have much in the way of financial responsibilities.

I am looking to get another crack at the business but I feel kind of stuck as to where to start? I don't really have much in the way of corporate style connections given my family's immigrant restaurant background and a lot of friends working in energy.
Anybody have any ideas as to how I may be able to explain my absence from the industry for so long without looking incompetent? I am struggling to explain this situation without looking like a total idiot when I do start applying for some new positions.

Any advice is much appreciated as I really want give the business another kick at the can.
Thx
You went back to help out your family, keep it vague, now things are stable you are free to pursue your true calling. Its a bit of bolloxs but work is one of those areas where you do what you have to do.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #307
MoneyGuy
#1 Goaltender
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

Former journalist and now a financial planner (non-bank, don't hate me) and part-time politician (you can hate me now). I've been fortunate to work in careers that have been rewarding where I can make a difference in people's lives. I think people need to find careers and not just jobs. It's a miserable 40-plus years if you hate what you do.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:57 PM   #308
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Former journalist and now a financial planner (non-bank, don't hate me) and part-time politician (you can hate me now). I've been fortunate to work in careers that have been rewarding where I can make a difference in people's lives. I think people need to find careers and not just jobs. It's a miserable 40-plus years if you hate what you do.
Man....I've got to get into 'Part-Time Politics.'

It seems like the most efficient method of embezzling funds. Working for a living is for chumps and the weak.
__________________

-Killer Sig Courtesy of ATR
Socialist Hegemony of Albertan Territory - Flag courtesy of awildermode

- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 03:06 PM   #309
GoinAllTheWay
#1 Goaltender
 
GoinAllTheWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not sure
Exp:
Default

Part time politician? You're Justin Trudeau?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:42 PM   #310
Reaper
Franchise Player
 
Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: I'm right behind you
Exp:
Default

Trump. Money Guy is Donald Trump.
__________________
Religions are the engines of intolerance - Sam Harris
Reaper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 PM   #311
bizaro86
#1 Goaltender
 
bizaro86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Part time politician? You're Justin Trudeau?
Nah, journalist and financial planner would be qualifications for being a political leader.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #312
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Slava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Former journalist and now a financial planner (non-bank, don't hate me) and part-time politician (you can hate me now). I've been fortunate to work in careers that have been rewarding where I can make a difference in people's lives. I think people need to find careers and not just jobs. It's a miserable 40-plus years if you hate what you do.
No one is going to hate you for those things...so what teams do you cheer for?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 09:00 PM   #313
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Slava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Wow, great thread and I have been fascinated with all the different responses. I was wondering if any of you, specifically in the finance and banking field may be able to offer some potential advice for me as I am in a little bit of a predicament at the moment.

I come from a self employed family where we were in the restaurants and residential real estate business but I was always potentially looking forward to a corporate style job.

I worked in banking for one of the big 5 banks for 6 years after graduating from school and enjoyed it a lot even though for me the pay wasn't great, this is coming out of the 2008 financial crisis mind you.

Long story short I made a few different moves but my situation got to the point where my direct managers and my role within the bank become an insufferable situation. If any of you have read the CBC report with the sales pressure from banks, that was the stuff I was dealing with daily. I have zero issue with sales as I was a top performer but I was in a situation where I was being compared more and more to employees who were clearly cheating the sales system.

It got the point where I finally quit in the fall of 2014 where the economy was still strong relatively strong. Fast forward two and a half years later I have been working with the family business and kind of laying low since I don't have much in the way of financial responsibilities.

I am looking to get another crack at the business but I feel kind of stuck as to where to start? I don't really have much in the way of corporate style connections given my family's immigrant restaurant background and a lot of friends working in energy.
Anybody have any ideas as to how I may be able to explain my absence from the industry for so long without looking incompetent? I am struggling to explain this situation without looking like a total idiot when I do start applying for some new positions.

Any advice is much appreciated as I really want give the business another kick at the can.
Thx
What kind of thing are you looking to get into? I know you're talking about finance, but can you be a little more specific?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #314
MoneyGuy
#1 Goaltender
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
No one is going to hate you for those things...so what teams do you cheer for?
The right ones, only the right ones.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:12 AM   #315
curves2000
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary, Canada
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
What kind of thing are you looking to get into? I know you're talking about finance, but can you be a little more specific?

I am mostly referring to the investment side of the banking business.

Worked on the financial planning team at one of the big 5, I am not a FP, but it was a hybrid sales/service and admin role that was unique to that branch in Calgary. Looking to expand on that or perhaps move to the brokerage side or even wholesale side potentially.

I know how all over the map it sounds but being out of the business 2+ years in this economy, I am not sure I can be as selective as some were back a few years ago.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:02 AM   #316
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Slava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Well this is purely my opinion, so take it FWIW, but if you're talking about a wholesaler role at a fund company I would be super careful. Mutual Funds are vilified now and have been for a few years. Everyone (banks, fund companies and everyone else) is rebranding these into pools, launching ETFs and moving away from these funds. It's really difficult to say what effect that will have on employees at those firms, but if they aren't charging as much for their products I have to think that they aren't going to support as large an infrastructure.

The other consideration is that a lot of these "new" products are factor models and smart beta type of a thing. Those are not going to be as labour intensive as the old managed mandates and again you have to wonder how many employees that new direction supports.

If you're keen, you would want to take a role as an inside wholesaler though and make your way outside from there. I can't say that with certainty, but that seems to be the track that most of them have taken to get those roles.

As far as actual investment management though, you will need to get qualifications (if you haven't already?). Even for a full financial planning role you will need a CFP or some kind of designation to be hired for most places. To actually manage money you will need a CIM as a bare minimum to be qualified as a PM (and there are other things to qualify as well), or you might want to get the CFA which really is the gold standard.

I'm more than happy to sit down with you if you want to chat about this or have other questions.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 06:26 AM   #317
OMG!WTF!
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Exp:
Default

When you say need to get qualifications to be an investment manager, do you mean in order to get a job in the field? I'm having trouble understanding all the requirements for simply buying securities on someone else's behalf. Could Joe open up Joe's Trading Co. (not Trader Joe's Co) and begin trading on other people's behalf with other people's money? I know there would be all kinds of rules and regulations and disclosures as with secondary market investing. But does Joe need to prove his competency via professional designations?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #318
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Slava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
When you say need to get qualifications to be an investment manager, do you mean in order to get a job in the field? I'm having trouble understanding all the requirements for simply buying securities on someone else's behalf. Could Joe open up Joe's Trading Co. (not Trader Joe's Co) and begin trading on other people's behalf with other people's money? I know there would be all kinds of rules and regulations and disclosures as with secondary market investing. But does Joe need to prove his competency via professional designations?
Well it depends on how exactly you're going to do that. But yeah, I have a hard time seeing an investment firm hiring people these days with no designations or qualifications. Maybe if you have been a PM for years and have a track record you could get a shot, but truthfully almost everyone there has the CFA.

But if you mean you want to trade on a discretionary basis for other people, you have to be regulated. You can't just open Joes Trading tomorrow and open a joint account and charge a fee. It's not that you have to prove competency, but you have to be licensed as a PM. Like I say that either means a CIM/CFA, basically and there is oversight. The securities industry is highly regulated and you can't just called yourself a PM and do what you please; its for the protection of consumers and over the past decade that has increased a lot, perhaps unsurprisingly.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 09:03 AM   #319
Titan
First Line Centre
 
Titan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Exp:
Default

While Slava is generally correct, the barriers to entry are actually quite low. It starts with the Canadian Securities Course which is the basic course for most roles in the investment industry. The Canadian Securities Institute offers many courses for different paths. https://www.csi.ca/student/en_ca/home.xhtml
It has a lot of info on that site about different roles. If you are serious about investing you should take the CSC to be taken seriously. The designations Slava speaks to come after several years in the industry.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
You will be happier than a squirrel on a date with another, but sexier, squirrel, or a slumming mink with a squirrel fetish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
It's like losing a game of tic-tac-toe to a lobotomized chicken.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #320
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Slava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
While Slava is generally correct, the barriers to entry are actually quite low. It starts with the Canadian Securities Course which is the basic course for most roles in the investment industry. The Canadian Securities Institute offers many courses for different paths. https://www.csi.ca/student/en_ca/home.xhtml
It has a lot of info on that site about different roles. If you are serious about investing you should take the CSC to be taken seriously. The designations Slava speaks to come after several years in the industry.
Yeah but the CSC alone lets you trade stocks for people, but not on a discretionary basis. If you want to actually manage other peoples money on their behalf you have to be licensed for that.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:15 PM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016