Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #81
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever_Iggy View Post
Well as part of the training process officers go through, they take specific driver training. It's largely focused on pursuits and high speed manoeuvres. Not really a section on "driving while using the computer - dos and do nots". I'm sure there's guidance, but not specific training.

The exception is focused on doing their jobs (along with EMS, Fire, etc). Like running red lights, exceeding the speed limit and illegal turns. It's part of the reality of certain professions. Is there a risk in using the computer while driving? Yes. If the officer is involved in a collision/accident and they were using their computer, they're going to have to show that using the computer was to perform functions of their job AND that the officer needed to use the computer at that moment.

It's a measure of reasonableness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Illegal turns?

hence the quotation marks....
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #82
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My bad, got it.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #83
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
I guess I'm having a hard time seeing why this would be different.
You're not having a hard time with anything, you're just being difficult. You know exactly what the rules are, and why they are there. Quit grinding the guys gears, he didn't make the exemption.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #84
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Turn the screen away from you. That way any pop ups don't catch the corner of your eye. Or sit on your phone like I do.
Do you have it on vibrate?
Old 04-17-2014, 11:42 AM   #85
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Difference is when they are "running red lights, exceeding the speed limit and illegal turns" they have their lights/sirens on.
Well, not always, but that's beside the larger point I was trying to make.

The laws that are in place for joe-public are incompatible with the requirements of certain professions (police, EMS, fire, transit, etc). Therefore, the laws contemplate those professions and carve out exceptions. That does not allow for persons in those professions to ignore the general rules of the road completely and plead that their actions always fall under the exceptions. They have to show that they were performing their job at the time AND that the use of a computer, the running of the red light, the exceeding the speed limit, etc, was required at the time it was performed. Furthermore, their actions are reasonable.

An officer who gets into an accident while updating Facebook on his personal phone is not in any exception. An officer using his/her computer to run a license plate because the car is driving erratically or is otherwise suspicious and does so in a reasonable manner is.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:42 AM   #86
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Do you have it on vibrate?
I do! But nobody ever calls me...

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #87
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever_Iggy View Post
Well, not always, but that's beside the larger point I was trying to make.

The laws that are in place for joe-public are incompatible with the requirements of certain professions (police, EMS, fire, transit, etc). Therefore, the laws contemplate those professions and carve out exceptions. That does not allow for persons in those professions to ignore the general rules of the road completely and plead that their actions always fall under the exceptions. They have to show that they were performing their job at the time AND that the use of a computer, the running of the red light, the exceeding the speed limit, etc, was required at the time it was performed. Furthermore, their actions are reasonable.

An officer who gets into an accident while updating Facebook on his personal phone is not in any exception. An officer using his/her computer to run a license plate because the car is driving erratically or is otherwise suspicious and does so in a reasonable manner is.
Honest question, When would Police/Fire/EMS do any of those things without lights/sirens?
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #88
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Police officers have to take a training course on using Multinova radar guns. I guess I'm having a hard time seeing why this would be different.
Haha. Well I don't know for sure, but I don't think they have to negotiate a pylon-laden obstacle course while typing in a license plate on their dash-mounted computer.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #89
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Cars really are so much safer. I remember in the 70/80's as a kid being carted around in a big station wagon on brutal snow storms with only lap belts holding us in place and all-season tires that would be disallowed today.
I recall when I was really small, our "child seat" was the pull-down arm rest in the front seat and the seat belt was my dad's arm holding me there when he had to brake...
Old 04-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #90
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Honest question, When would Police/Fire/EMS do any of those things without lights/sirens?
When approaching a suspects home so as to not raise suspicion. Some neighbourhoods have managed to get policies in place that prevent sirens from being used during certain hours (firefighters/EMS have to wait until they are X-blocks from the station for firing up the siren). I'm sure there are other examples.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #91
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I do! But nobody ever calls me...
That's because you never call back. You just let it ring and ring and ring...so people stopped calling.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2014, 11:53 AM   #92
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will admit to sometimes picking up my phone to check messages while I am at a light.

I totally see how driving while texting is extremely dangerous, but my brain just can't grasp how me reading a text message at a light is a problem, other than it might cause traffic flow issues if I get involved in something and miss a light changing.

I am entirely open to having someone change my mind on this, so feel free to educate me on what I am missing here.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #93
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

My car reads my texts to me, I can dictate my response and it's all done over Bluetooth. No need to touch anything. Isn't this becoming more the standard now?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #94
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^I think the answer is that you will not be aware of what's happening around you, so when the light suddenly changes you have to look up and go without any context and can miss something that causes a problem. If you're cautious, this can be managed.

Some will say if you just don't use your phone in the first place you don't have to manage that risk because it doesn't exist, which is true, but can just as easily be applied to create a "no conversations allowed with passengers while driving" standard. I don't see one as creating significantly more risk than the other.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 19Yzerman19 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #95
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The thing I don't understand is what kind of a text is so important you need to respond to it while driving? I always tell my family/friends/colleagues if something is important call me. If you text me while driving, I'm not responding, no matter how many times you say "hello? hello? why aren't you answering? hello??"

Texts, to me, are a secondary form of communication and I give it lower priority. And with the amount people text these days, I know if someone takes the time to call rather than text, then it is likely important.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #96
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I thought it would be a good initiative to have the police seize the phone for a period of time.

Isn't the phone evidence of a crime? Seize it until the ticket is paid, or the person has had their day in court. A lot of people might think twice about texting and driving if it means they might be without their phone for a couple of days.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #97
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow, some people take themselves way too seriously.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #98
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I will admit to sometimes picking up my phone to check messages while I am at a light.

I totally see how driving while texting is extremely dangerous, but my brain just can't grasp how me reading a text message at a light is a problem, other than it might cause traffic flow issues if I get involved in something and miss a light changing.

I am entirely open to having someone change my mind on this, so feel free to educate me on what I am missing here.
If you don't think it is distracting, the next time you are at a light and the guy beside you is looking down at his phone try moving forward. Almost guaranteed he will start to move forward before looking up.

On another note, don't do this as it could easily cause an accident. Especially don't do this if you are at the front of the intersection.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #99
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #100
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I won't be the one to change your mind because I do the same thing. But as soon as that light goes green, my phone goes in the cupholder and stays there. I'm using Cortana to text for me more now, but I'm of the same opinion as you. I dislike the way we apply black and white solutions to problems that aren't.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote