Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-18-2017, 08:55 AM   #21
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am going to laugh for days when the Kings knock the Oilers out of the last wildcard spot in April.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #22
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
So, we should keep using daylight time aware of all the health and psychological issues cuz it will interfere a little with hockey times?
No, we should be looking at a national conversation to end it nationally rather than having a no-name NDP MLA causing other issues to try and justify his existence.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #23
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Have a referendum instead of the government deciding what's best for everybody.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #24
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or the folks who don't have PVR's could buy them if specific shows are that important to them...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:43 AM   #25
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
So, we should keep using daylight time aware of all the health and psychological issues cuz it will interfere a little with hockey times?
Have their been a study on how many people would die if Alberta stuck to one time?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:23 PM   #26
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Detroit and Toronto used to be in the Western Conference. We are spoiled. I think we will survive.

3 months where people commute home in light and kids can play outside without it being dark vs a few hockey fans up too late for 15 nights.

Such a silly argument. I'm tired of the NHL thinking all government decisions should be based on their benefit.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:26 PM   #27
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Detroit and Toronto used to be in the Western Conference. We are spoiled. I think we will survive.
And they both got the hell out of the Western Conference because the time zone differences were a major problem to them. What, exactly, was your point supposed to be?

Also, like it or not, the Flames and Oilers do get to comment on a matter of public policy that will negatively impact them and their customers.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #28
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We should keep Daylight Savings Time and get rid of Standard Time. Then in winter it would get dark 1 hr later. I'd rather come home from work and see a little daylight then pitch black every December.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:34 PM   #29
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Such a silly argument. I'm tired of the NHL thinking all government decisions should be based on their benefit.
Small scale compared to large corporations, oil companies, etc.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:40 PM   #30
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Changing the time is ridiculous. It causes heart attacks, traffic accidents, and grumpy children.

This is the only thing the NDP have done that I think is a good idea, but it's a great idea.

As for the idea that everyone else should do it first, I would suggest that when something is the right thing to do, then waiting around for everyone else doesn't make sense. Especially when the same argument about not doing it will apply everywhere.
If turning back the clock could cause a person to have a heart attack I'm willing to bet that it's something that was going to happen in the immediate future anyway. I'm not sure that an extremely minute portion of the population that's close to death should dictate what's best for the vast majority.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/11/health...ealth-effects/

Quote:
"Stroke risk is highest in the morning hours," Dr. Jori Ruuskanen, study author from the University of Turku, said in an email. "Previous studies have also shown that the disruption of the circadian clock due to other reasons (e.g. due to rotating shift work) and sleep fragmentation are associated with an increased risk of stroke. However, we did not know whether stroke risk is affected by DST transitions. What is common in these situations is the disturbed sleep cycle, while the immediate mechanisms for the increased risk are unknown at the moment.
As for traffic accidents really? A minor snow fall or distracted driving will cause 100x the amount of accidents on any given day in this city. There should be more evidence than this IMO.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-19-2017 at 02:48 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #31
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If turning back the clock could cause a person to have a heart attack I'm willing to bet that it's something that was going to happen in the immediate future anyway.
I looked for the heart attack study. Found only one, that studied a single hospital. So this hospital that sees around 30 heart attack patients per day saw an increase of 25% over 4 DST starts. Then a decrease of 21% when DST ended.

One hospital, over only 4 years. Small sample size and between the two there was an increase of 4%- which is a margin of error.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 03:46 PM   #32
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

But my kid gets slightly grumpy for an afternoon because I'm too lazy as a parent to change his bed time a day earlier! Government legislation, save me!
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #33
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

i don't know how changing time causes problems. it happens on a saturday night. adjust on sunday and monday is the same!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 07:24 PM   #34
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

It's that easy!!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #35
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about a long term, statistically significant increase in suicides?
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...331.x/abstract

Or maybe the long term study showing a statistically significant increase in fatal car accidents after both the spring and fall changes?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11152980

Are those good reasons to switch? Or maybe we should keep thing the way they are to make hockey times more convenient.

But hey, anecdotally it doesn't affect you, so peer reviewed evidence be damned.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #36
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Have a referendum instead of the government deciding what's best for everybody.
no ugh gross barf. We elect these people to make these decisions. Daylight savings time is not referendum worthy, few things are.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 08:51 PM   #37
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
How about a long term, statistically significant increase in suicides?
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...331.x/abstract

Or maybe the long term study showing a statistically significant increase in fatal car accidents after both the spring and fall changes?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11152980

Are those good reasons to switch? Or maybe we should keep thing the way they are to make hockey times more convenient.

But hey, anecdotally it doesn't affect you, so peer reviewed evidence be damned.
Actually it says car accident increase were significant. It says fatal accidents only had a small increase.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:07 AM   #38
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wait, do people like that it gets dark at 4:30 in December?
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theinfinitejar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 03:06 AM   #39
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfinitejar View Post
Wait, do people like that it gets dark at 4:30 in December?
No, but is it preferred to have it remain dark out until 9:30am instead?

Unfortunately, we live in a part of the world where daylight lasts less than 8 hours around the Winter Solstice. There's no good answer.

Because school schedules typically run from 8:30 to 3:30 or so, Standard time at least helps ensure that there will be some light in the sky when kids are going to and from school in the winter.

People love to make stupid rules in the guise of protecting the safety of children. Switching our clocks is one thing that likely does offer some minor level of protection for children.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:28 AM   #40
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I looked for the heart attack study. Found only one, that studied a single hospital. So this hospital that sees around 30 heart attack patients per day saw an increase of 25% over 4 DST starts. Then a decrease of 21% when DST ended.

One hospital, over only 4 years. Small sample size and between the two there was an increase of 4%- which is a margin of error.
So it's only one hospital and I don't want to trivialize 4% but you could have days of 30+ degrees contribute to increased heart attacks or strokes as well as major snow storms contribute to more carnage at the hospital due to heart attacks shoveling snow. If you have 30 hart attacks on average that means on any given day you could have 36 or 26 so if DST makes for a day of 31 instead of 30 it just doesn't seem high or significant enough to warrant totally screwed up daylight hours.