Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #1001
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Pyramid scheme? Uber might be many things, but a pyramid scheme isn't one of them.

Pyramid schemes generally require that the new entrants to the schemes are the source of capital/earnings/profit. Obviously that is not the case with Uber. Also, Uber drivers can build or consumer their own inventory.
It's a pyramid scheme in the same way franchising a Subway is. All they handle is the promotional side of things (which the franchisee pays into). You handle everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2015, 12:29 PM   #1002
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
In fairness to City Hall, they did approve 383 new taxi plates about a year ago. It was a unanimous vote by the Councillors with pretty much each one of them echoing what everyone had known for years, Calgary needed more taxis. A lot more.

I think it begs the question on why it took so long. It was a 25% increase in the number of plates.
They only issued 100 of the plates, the rest were held for further study to the impacts. The city and tlac did not follow the recommendations of the report entirely.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #1003
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Pyramid scheme? Uber might be many things, but a pyramid scheme isn't one of them.

Pyramid schemes generally require that the new entrants to the schemes are the source of capital/earnings/profit. Obviously that is not the case with Uber. Also, Uber drivers can build or consumer their own inventory.
New drivers reduce labour costs and increase gross earnings for the rentier at the top.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #1004
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's like saying any Independant contracter is in a pyramid scheme. Anyone willing to work to work for less increases the profit of the general.

Uber is definitely a race to the bottom in trying to find the least amount a minimum number of drivers will work for. But it's not a pyramid. Profits are made and lost delivering a service not building the pyramid
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #1005
Buster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
New drivers reduce labour costs and increase gross earnings for the rentier at the top.
So do about a million other types of businesses. Uber provides a service to the public which does not require the input of new "associates" to maintain profit.

Don't be fooled by these types of mis-directions.

EDIT: damn your quick trigger finger GGG...lol
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #1006
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
The "rentier at the top" is a corporation.

Best buy employees sell product and the company makes the money, and the employee retains their share. Stock brokers sell stock, the company makes the money and the broker retains their share. Uber is making a margin on the service they provide, while the driver keeps their share. In all of these cases the company, or "rentier at the top" as you put it, makes their margin and then the employee/contractor retains their share.

It's nothing like a pyramid scheme. Though I'm starting to think you're a cab driver

EDIT: I see I'm the slow one of the bunch.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #1007
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uber isn't a pyramid, it's a thrash concert, with Uber corporate being the band, passengers being crowd surfers, and Uber drivers getting thrashed around the mosh pit. Taxi drivers are the floor.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #1008
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Why is there a limited number of plates?

I can see regulation for handicap transportation and sub-markets that may not be self supporting, but otherwise:

1) Have car that meets yearly inspection requirements
2) Have license that requires X regular certifications
3) Have insurance policy necessary to carry people around

Why would the city cap how many cabs there are? If you can't make money at it, you'll go out of business.

If it's tough to get fares, maybe you'll actually work at 2am on Fridays and Saturdays.

Why aren't there coffee shop licenses limiting the number of Tim Horton's or Starbucks locations? Why aren't there licenses limiting how many FedEx and UPS trucks there are?

It's ridiculous. Besides the handicap angle, I see zero reason for any requirements on the number of cabs nor a reason to regulate the price.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2015, 04:38 PM   #1009
Buster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post

I can see regulation for handicap transportation and sub-markets that may not be self supporting, but otherwise:

Why would the city cap how many cabs there are? If you can't make money at it, you'll go out of business.

If it's tough to get fares, maybe you'll actually work at 2am on Fridays and Saturdays.

Why aren't there coffee shop licenses limiting the number of Tim Horton's or Starbucks locations? Why aren't there licenses limiting how many FedEx and UPS trucks there are?

It's ridiculous. Besides the handicap angle, I see zero reason for any requirements on the number of cabs nor a reason to regulate the price.
Do people even read the TODAY's? posts from the thread?
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #1010
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post

I believe the rationale is that because the taxi industry is heavily regulated, meeting those regulations require a significant expense to the taxi owners. At the same time, regulated pricing means that there is a limit to the revenue that each taxi can generate.

So, when the city implements the regulations, the taxi industry pushes back and says, the only way we can operate safely and stay in business is if we know there will be enough passengers available for each cab to generate the revenue needed to survive.

Both sides give in and the regulations are set and the number of taxi licenses is set. The city gets a safe and reliable taxi industry and the taxi drivers can meet all the regulations while still making a decent living.

Then, decades pass and the city continues to sprawl further away from the centre, and the number of licenses doesn't grow proportionally to the population of the city, and we end up in the situation we're at now. Meanwhile, the people who drew up the original bylaw are likely long retired.

The sins of the father are to be laid upon the children.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:07 PM   #1011
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

What sorts of checks and balances does the Taxi Commission provide to the city?

I mean driver penalties/suspensions/repercussions? Any transparency there?

I probably already know the answer, but surprise me.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:27 PM   #1012
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
What sorts of checks and balances does the Taxi Commission provide to the city?

I mean driver penalties/suspensions/repercussions? Any transparency there?

I probably already know the answer, but surprise me.
Here's the full Livery Transport bylaw: http://www.calgary.ca/CA/city-clerks...yTransport.pdf

Enforcement information starts on page 45. The penalties for various offences starts on page 109.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #1013
Neeper
Official CP Photographer

Exp:

This sure sounds familiar!!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/featur...es-over-a-city
Neeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neeper For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #1014
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I need a uber but a larger vehicle that can handle 5 suitcases and 5 people is there an option for that?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #1015
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

not in Calgary unfortunately,
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2015, 11:19 PM   #1016
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Took an Uber home from the BMO centre tonight, as expected it was a seamless Uber experience and the driver was friendly & competent. Price was on par with a cab, perhaps slightly cheaper?

Two other observations:
- I've never seen so many available cabs outside the BMO centre on a Saturday night.
- Calgary Cab companies should be terrified.

The real kicker here being that the taxi cartel could likely recreate the software UX if they really wanted, "Need a cab, here's your driver, they're on the way!" and bill it to your credit card.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:54 AM   #1017
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I had to use a taxi the other day for work as Uber is not approved by my employer.

Taxi was late by 25 minutes and it 4 calls to 2 different companies before I finally got my driver. I booked this an hour in advance of when I needed to get there and I almost missed an international flight as a result.

During the trip, the driver was rude, spoke on his cellphone the entire ride, and was mad when I couldn't give him cash for the $65 dollar cab as I don't usually carry $65 cash and need to put all purchases on a corporate card.

Although I'm skeptical about the insurance aspect as previously discussed, this is one of many terrible experiences I've had with cabs in Calgary. I also remember last winter when I couldn't find a cab for over half an hour at 5:00 on a work day downtown and damn near froze if it wasn't for the ctrain.

At this point I hope Uber forces the cabs and the city to provide better, more available service. I'm stuck with the taxis for work for better or worse
Old 11-15-2015, 11:27 AM   #1018
HOWITZER
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
blahblahblahblah sprawl blahblahblahblah
Found the problem! Damn you YOP Gobblers!
HOWITZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:08 PM   #1019
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
There's clearly a lot to be addressed, insurance, driver background checks, vehicle inspections, etc. etc. but if the city was serious about those issues they could have amended the current bylaws to address those issues long before today. They didn't. Instead the current law explicitly outlaws a company like Uber operating in Calgary under any circumstance. It's pathetic.

And this isn't just about the convenience of Uber, studies have shown that it has a positive affect on the DUI rates in multiple cities that it has entered. It's literally saving lives.
http://poseidon01.ssrn.com/delivery....104002&EXT=pdf
Not saying that data is incorrect but you'd think with the savings in terms of insurance for lower DUIs, more insurance companies would be all over trying to find a solution that works for Uber drivers.

That doesn't seem to be the case. And insurance companies pay certain people a LOT of money to help determine optimal insurance rates and that sort of thing. Makes you wonder.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #1020
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
The real kicker here being that the taxi cartel could likely recreate the software UX if they really wanted, "Need a cab, here's your driver, they're on the way!" and bill it to your credit card.
They've done this in Vancouver.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/04/v...king-app-zoro/

And Vancouver doesn't even have Uber! Their city seems to be moving towards a ridesharing solution though:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ncil-1.3277785
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote