Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #21
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Used Uber in Edmonton, driver offered us candy and bottled water, and actually conversed with us like a normal human being and not a creep. The service is 10x better than taxies.
Did you eat the candy?
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 08:11 AM   #22
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks ndp! No seriously, thank you!
Old 10-15-2015, 08:11 AM   #23
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Yesssss!!!!

Used Uber on two trips - in Chicago and Ottawa and it's great!

Had so many free rides from referral codes that we hardly paid for any of the trips in Chicago (PM if you want one), in Ottawa it was much cheaper than taking a cab and way more convenient.

For those that are saying it will be taxi rates - I can't say I'm familiar enough with taxi rates to say if this is the same...but it doesn't sound like it.
Quote:
As for cost, UBER has a base fee of $2.75 per ride, $1.00 per kilometer, $0.25 per minute, an entry ride fee of $1.85 and all rides must make it to at least $5.00.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #24
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought Uber is 30% less than taxi or so Uber says. My thought is, will Uber allow my family to ditch a second car?

I figure my second car got driver around 5000KM a year and is costing me $5K to run and in depreciation. If Uber is as good as advertised, I might be tempted to get rid of it to save money.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:25 AM   #25
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
The problem is the governments won't change/update their laws until Uber comes in like this. If they waited for governments to changes their policies they'd probably be operating in three cities worldwide.
Challenging protectionist policies that exist to shelter other taxi companies is something I support. Ignoring regulations that exist to protect the consumer is something I don't. Uber does both because it is the only way they can undercut the competition.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #26
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Challenging protectionist policies that exist to shelter other taxi companies is something I support. Ignoring regulations that exist to protect the consumer is something I don't. Uber does both because it is the only way they can undercut the competition.
Really? Seems that law is just as much about protecting an anti-competitive business model.

Uber has been attempting to work with the city for a year on this.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:51 AM   #27
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If you can't be bothered to read the entirety of my comment, HotHotHeat, don't waste my time by replying.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 08:53 AM   #28
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

City taxi rates:

Using the Uber website's fare estimator, a trip from the Calgary Tower to the Airport will be between $21 and $28. Using taxifarefinder.com, the same trip in a taxi is estimated at $44.19 with tip.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:54 AM   #29
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great news for Calgary
I'm a regular user of Uber in Toronto and it's great
Not only is it usually cheaper, but it's the way it's connected to the app. You can see the available cars out there, track their ETA, and pay for everything directly from credit card. Also, their service model is based on driver reviews, so it's in the best interest of the drivers to treat their passengers with respect to get better ratings. Taxi drivers like to argue that they are safer, and Uber is dangerous, but my opinion is the other way around. Because your entire trip is tracked, and the driver information is displayed, there is always an electronic record of the entire transaction including route. Uber even refunded us once when it realized the driver took an inefficient route to our destination. Uber drivers also do not see the destination request until the passenger has got into the vehicle, so they can't turn down short hauls for longer distances.

There is a downside though, as the price analytics are based on supply and demand, and the prices due go up when there is an exceptional demand in a particular area. However, the price increase is plainly communicated before you commit to a ride.
There is a legitimate concern about insurance though, as I'm pretty sure most Uber driver's are using their own insurance rather than a commercial one. I'm not sure what would happen if there was an accident riding Uber. However, I'm not sure how it would be different in general if it was an accident while a friend was driving you either.

Lastly, I do feel for taxi drivers as they will find themselves forced to suddenly compete and innovate. However the main vocal oppositions to uber are the secondary drivers and those that rent out taxi licenses on the secondary market. They are the ones that shell out hundred of thousands to operate a cab, or the ones that make a large amount of money that way. For Uber drivers, this is soemthing that they can use to supplement their income, but it's not a full time job. Unfortunately, these part time drivers are the ones that are cutting out the taxi drivers that do drive for a living

Tl;DR - Recommend Uber, will hurt taxi industry, but everyone should work together for the betterment of the people
Old 10-15-2015, 08:57 AM   #30
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used Uber in Chicago and it got us away from Wrigley without any trouble and I think we had to accept a 1.5X fare because it was so busy and it was still only about $15. I had a great experience with it.

And as has been mentioned, how it all functions through the app is fantastic.

You see where the car is, what kind of car it is, driver reviews, everything. Its very slick.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:57 AM   #31
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you can't be bothered to read the entirety of my comment, HotHotHeat, don't waste my time by replying.
Climb on down.

HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 08:59 AM   #32
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Mod edit- not appropriate
Old 10-15-2015, 09:02 AM   #33
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used Uber in Orlando to get to Universal from a Disney resort, it saved us a ton of money compared to using the cab systems. Drivers were decent too.

I'm excited to use it in Calgary.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:03 AM   #34
gladaki
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Atleast It will help a guy who is not able to pay his car installments because of recent lay offs yay
gladaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:10 AM   #35
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

I can't see how this could be a bad thing. Taxi service is horrible in our city and council pisses around about it humming and hawing. I don't give a #### about the regulations. This is capitalism at work, it forces innovation and improvement to service. As per safety, I trust crowd-sourced user reviews far more than I trust whatever background check they put taxi drivers through. I've had so many weird and creepy taxi drivers, wife has too. Most Uber rides I've taken in other cities are younger people just looking to supplement their income, or ex-taxi drivers that are sick of paying a whole bunch of money to the middle man and being dicked around by their employer and the city.

TL;DR this can only mean better service and better access to vehicles, thumbs up!
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 09:12 AM   #36
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
There is a legitimate concern about insurance though, as I'm pretty sure most Uber driver's are using their own insurance rather than a commercial one. I'm not sure what would happen if there was an accident riding Uber. However, I'm not sure how it would be different in general if it was an accident while a friend was driving you either....
Insurance is a big issue, and it is different than a friend driving you. Insurance companies require special commercial polices, they will deny claims if you don't have one. There is a reason your insurance company asks if you use your vehicle for commercial purposes. So if an Uber driver hits you, you file a claim and their insurance denies, the driver is on the hook. And if they can't pay?

They also don't have a way setup to collect GST. It is the driver's responsibility to remit it. How many do you think do that, or are even aware of it? The reason Uber is cheaper is becuase they are breaking all sorts of laws.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #37
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How are they not protecting the customers? They have an insurance policy they use if incidents/accidents happen even if the driver doesn't have a commercial policy. They do background checks and at least around here you have to have a reasonably aged car and have to take it for an inspection.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:20 AM   #38
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Very interesting/gutsy move by uber here. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, I feel like they've been trying to play ball with city council for a few years now, obviously they are laying their cards on the table with this gamble... hope it pays off.

Gotta imagine Uber has their team of lawyers at the ready for potential fall out here. Be it driver arrest, by law tickets, fines, etc.

Last edited by Regular_John; 10-15-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #39
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Any argument against Uber in Calgary will always fall on deaf ears as long as it's impossible to actually get a taxi on a weekend. The industry has done it to themselves by refusing to improve, zero sympathy from me
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #40
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uber is run by a pretty horrible person, but they do provide a good service. Not sure about their valuation, or if they are even making money.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote