Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-18-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Flames A conversation with Gary Bettman

Hi all,

Attached is a link where Gary Bettman had a little Q&A with season ticket holders at the Dome the other day.

Nothing earth shattering at all from his day here in Calgary, most of it discussed already in the media and on CP.

1) Need a new rink, Edmonton has a world class rink, Calgary can't continue the same path. Call your councilor at city hall and get it done etc

2) Olympics are too disruptive given the lack of value the NHL owners see. Lots of factor at play including travel, costs, location and injury potential. I am not really sure what the difference would be between these Olympics, the previous Olympics and the future Olympics in China are. Mentioned that in Japan in 98 they ripped out the ice the next day. I guess they see China as a massive growth market??

3) All the loser hockey markets where hockey continues to be a struggle 20 years later with untold tens of millions in losses and taxpayer funding are in fact "great markets"

Some other tidbits as well but that was a good chunk of the 30 minute video. If you wanted to watch the video in full, here is the link

https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/exc...man/c-50500903
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #2
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched it earlier today and he came across as quite candid on some pretty key questions/issues with the league and Olympics. Embedded for the lazzies:

Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 06:40 PM   #3
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't seem like anything new here. Just Bettman doing his job promoting the interests of the NHL owners.

Call your local connsellor though seriously?
Old 03-18-2017, 06:50 PM   #4
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Really wish Bettman would shut up and stop pretending he's looking out for the best interest of Calgary.

"Improve quality of life" lol can't wait until I will have to pay 40% more to watch the Flames and all with a building my tax money helped build.

All those laid off people foreclosing their house and having to use Calgary housing will also really enjoy all their hard earned tax dollars over the years go to this new arena they can't afford to enter.

Shut up Gary and go back to New York.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 06:58 PM   #5
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hated the self promotion of the garbage World Cup tournament and how it was the best competition, above and beyond anything seen in the Olympics.

I admit I didn't watch World Cup at all as to me it's a made up tournament. It's NHL players playing against NHL players with a few different wrinkles thrown in like Team Europe and U23. Tickets were incredibly expensive, ratings were low and the attendance wasn't great but I HEARD the hockey was good though.

I just hate how much hype went into this as if it was the 72 Summit Series with the geopolitical issues of the time and we didn't know who the Soviet players were etc.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 09:15 PM   #6
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting that Bettman admits that he basically gave an informal offer to the NHLPA that if they waived their re-opener of the CBA in 2020 and extended it by 3 years they would go to the next 2 Olympics. The NHLPA didn't response well to that "offer". I guess they are planning on a strike. If I was the NHL why would I let the players go to the Olympics when it provides no significant benefits to the owners.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:38 PM   #7
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Interesting that Bettman admits that he basically gave an informal offer to the NHLPA that if they waived their re-opener of the CBA in 2020 and extended it by 3 years they would go to the next 2 Olympics. The NHLPA didn't response well to that "offer". I guess they are planning on a strike. If I was the NHL why would I let the players go to the Olympics when it provides no significant benefits to the owners.
I totally get it from the NHL and owners point of view, it just sucks for the fans
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:52 PM   #8
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The olympic stance is a bit hypocritical in my view.

Bettman argues in favor of government funding for an arena because "public good" and "community asset." So he's essentially arguing that because the NHL provides value to the community, the community should fund subsidize the NHL (even though it has no obligation to do so).

Then he turns around and says "no olympics because there's nothing in it for the owners and we aren't obliged to do it" So the NHL wants government support for its community asset, but then doesn't want to support community events.

Which really reiterates my view that Bettman is a weasle and can #### right off.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 10:37 PM   #9
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post

Bettman argues in favor of government funding for an arena because "public good" and "community asset." So he's essentially arguing that because the NHL provides value to the community, the community should fund subsidize the NHL (even though it has no obligation to do so).

Then he turns around and says "no olympics because there's nothing in it for the owners and we aren't obliged to do it" So the NHL wants government support for its community asset, but then doesn't want to support community events.

Which really reiterates my view that Bettman is a weasle and can #### right off.

You'll have to explain to me how the Olympics in Korea is a community event?

If the players want to go that badly, accept the NHL's offer and extend the CBA by a couple of years. If not, that's fine, but that's their choice.

Last edited by Lord Carnage; 03-18-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Lord Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Carnage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 10:53 PM   #10
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnage View Post
You'll have to explain to me how the Olympics in Korea is a community event?
lol?
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:28 PM   #11
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
lol?
That is a terrible explanation. You fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:30 PM   #12
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
...I admit I didn't watch World Cup at all as to me it's a made up tournament...
Every sports tournament at every level is a "made up tournament."

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 12:03 AM   #13
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Every sports tournament at every level is a "made up tournament."
But to think you can manufacture the passion and significance of the Olympics is just asinine. It has to come organically.
The world cup is the manufactured boy bad of hockey tournaments. Meaningless and contrived.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:14 AM   #14
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see why there isn't room for both the Olympics and World Cup of Hockey.

Sure, I can see how people look at the world cup as something a bit contrived. Name one tournament that doesn't start off that way though. All tournaments start nothing short of something that is contrived and 'made up' just to make money for someone or some organization.

However, keep doing it long enough, and then suddenly you find that a tournament has substance. That a tournament has some history and nostalgia, and that the winners of said tournament will be heralded for achieving something important.

It just takes time. I would rather see NHL players being present at both tournaments. Olympic gold can not be replicated by any tournament. The Stanley Cup Finals is the premier championship to win in Hockey, but players (and fans) also take an enormous amount of pride in winning Olympic gold. Winning a world cup might not be something so special at the moment, but after 5 tournaments of it, I bet it will be considered one of the most important tournaments in hockey. It just takes time to build it up.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #15
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
lol?
Absolutely not... 100% serious.
Lord Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #16
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't get why people get upset with Bettman. It's his job is to do what's best for the NHL and the owners. Everything he does or says is to that end, but apparently that makes him a weasel.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #17
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I don't get why people get upset with Bettman. It's his job is to do what's best for the NHL and the owners. Everything he does or says is to that end, but apparently that makes him a weasel.
Its the way in which he goes about it that makes him seem weasel-like.

I tend to support Bettman and I actually think hes a very intelligent guy, but that doesnt mean I'm going to agree with him on all of his stances or the way he goes about doing his job.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #18
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hate the way commissioners of all pro sports leagues feel how the general public/government should fund new arenas/stadiums
Old 03-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #19
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I really hate the way commissioners of all pro sports leagues feel how the general public/government should fund new arenas/stadiums
Gary's a smart man, he knows the level of importance of sports arena funding in a city, he's just selling as per the requirements of his job.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #20
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So Bettman wants Calgary to put itself on the map by helping fund a new building that would facilitate an Olympic bid, but also sees no value in taking part in such events that help boost cities in such a way. His stance on the Olympics = the stance of 80%+ of Calgarians on helping pay for such a facility for NHL purposes. Not sure he realizes that avid hockey fans constitute but a fraction of the population.

At least the Olympics are larger than hockey. Maybe showing support for them would've helped his agenda more.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote