Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #1
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Are you happy with your career choice/profession?

I'm a lawyer and don't really like it anymore. I used to, but now I'm a bit jaded by the fact that there's so many #######s in it and so much B.S. I've certainly lost any passion I had for it.

I'm actually jealous of my pal who works as a heavy duty equipment mechanic. Gets to be outside, B.S around with the boys, not always having to worrying about stupid complaints. I'm seriously considering going into the field (I'm in my early 30s with no kids, no debts and some money saved up)

How about everyone else?
Johnny199r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:51 PM   #2
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

And you do this in Calgary - there are WAY fewer ########s here (whatever those pound signs concealed) than in other cities. It's a pretty good bar on the whole.

Still, takes some balls to admit you're not happy doing it and to go do something else you like after committing so much time and money to it. But it's not like there aren't other career options available to lawyers.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nope, but the money is good. I can say I am one of the best at my profession but I don't really like my job.

I saw myself as someone who would get a job helping kids or the elderly and that's what would probably make me happy, but it just seems like an impossible task right now.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a pharmacist who knows pharmacists who hate their job and loves his:

Your career is what you make of it

I enjoy being able to make a difference in people's lives every day. I enjoy the respect from my patients I get. I enjoy that people ask for me by name and I enjoy solving problems for people.
I have pharmacist friends that hate it because they focus on the negativity, I choose not to. Have you ever wondered why people happy in their job long term have been happy in most jobs they've done?

My advice? For what it's worth, change your job, not your career

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 08-19-2015 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Their not there
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #5
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just unhappy.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2015, 06:04 PM   #6
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the industry I'm in (3D) but hate the department I'm in (Rendering). But I put myself there so now I have to try and get myself out and back into modeling. It's tough though because after work I'm mentally drained and don't really want to look at a computer for the rest of the day.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #7
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary firefighter, it's been the best career ever.
It's exciting, challenging and the comaraderie is second to none.
I don't think there's been a day in almost 25 years where I haven't looked forward to going to work.
chummer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #8
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elementary School Teacher - love it, especially this time of year :-)
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #9
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe change your specialization? It might not change the politics but at least you'll be working with some fresh faces. I work in the energy sector and I love it. I've been fascinated with electricity since I was a kid and now I get to work on high voltage systems which power all of alberta. It's a field based job so there's a lot of "shop talk", the guys I work with are great, and it's generally easy to stay out of the politics. Plus my company takes very good care of us (paid hotels, each get our own room), per diem, rrsp contributions, and the list goes on. Plus there is some office work I get to do too, so if I get sick of either the field or office, I can go work for the day in the other area.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:19 PM   #10
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Calgary firefighter, it's been the best career ever.
It's exciting, challenging and the comaraderie is second to none.
I don't think there's been a day in almost 25 years where I haven't looked forward to going to work.
I hate you...

I generally am happy with my career choice (CA which has turned into more of a consultant). I like what I do and my worst day at work doesn't come close to what some others endure. But I only wish I could make a statement like the above. Good on you for having such a great attitude.

As for the OP, I have switched jobs a couple of times over my career, including several major location changes. In some ways it was like starting over. Each time I was glad I took the risk. Some people though are good at changing things up in their career without switching jobs or professions. I do believe it is good to take a chance every now and then.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2015, 06:19 PM   #11
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Engineer... the amount of petty office bullsh*t, power plays, politics and nepotism going on surprise me after a couple of years. Though I'm sure that happens in any office.

I'm happy I have a stable job and am doing something I enjoy mostly otherwise.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:19 PM   #12
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interior Designer - Absolutely love my job.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:29 PM   #13
Guest1

I love my job. It's taken me 26 years to get here, but all those crap years make me appre iate what I have now. If you enjoy what you do, it isn't work!
Old 08-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #14
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lawyers are notoriously unhappy with their job. Especially those in BigLaw. The number of attorneys who leave the profession in 10 years after passing the bar is astounding, as is the proportion of alcoholics (or drug abusers) in the business.

Where they all go and what they then do is beyond me, but I'd love to find out.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #15
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
I love my job. It's taken me 26 years to get here, but all those crap years make me appre iate what I have now. If you enjoy what you do, it isn't work!
This post amuses me because of the signature.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #16
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am struggling with this a lot right now.

I manage a private middle school program. My work is meaningful, I get lots of respect from those I work with and the community of parents, I have loads of control over my work life, the compensation is good and I have about four months of paid vacation in a year, but I don't feel satisfied at all right now. I first became a head of a school when I was just 26 and this will be my seventh year in leadership. My current program is something that I have led the build up of from scratch into what is now a stable and thriving program with very positive feedback from students, parents and staff - and I feel totally demotivated because I don't see a lot of personal growth for me from here going forward.

I feel like when I take a step back and look at what my career provides me with it's hard not to see it as really enviable, but I don't feel the passion. I chose education as a career field because I wanted to be in a field where I'm helping people and where I was working for something much more important than money. I feel that all the time in my work, but I also feel like I'm ready for a new life challenge. At the same time, I worry that I'm not going to find anything much better than where I'm at.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #17
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Salon manager/hair stylist here.

It's work, so obviously everyone has bad days. But on the whole, I love my job, I love what I do. It may not be life-changing--but I make people feel better about themselves. I make people happy and relaxed.

Last week I had a client who got eyelash extensions--she just finished her last chemo treatment for breast cancer, lost most of the hair on her head, her eyelashes are thin and sparse. I gave her eyelash extensions and tinted the eyebrows she has left--and when she looked in the mirror after all of it, she cried with joy. It's the second time this year I've had someone cry tears of joy when I finished working on them, because they felt beautiful. It's a damn good feeling.

I may not be saving lives, but there's something to be said for making people happy.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #18
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Best thing I ever did was go in-house.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:16 PM   #19
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just made a massive shift in industries, albeit in the same company, and I'm happy with my job again. I was pretty unhappy before. Kind of like JohnnyB, I had built something from scratch, which was great, but once it was running and in maintenance mode I completely lost interest. Some people are great at building something, and they're terrible at keeping them going. Others are great the other way around.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2015, 08:31 PM   #20
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I changed careers at the beginning of 2015. I'd been in the same industry since I was in high school, and while I enjoyed the money, the work didn't excite me anymore. I picked a brutal time to get into O&G but I lucked out and am enjoying it so far.

Working outside is a massive improvement to being in a kitchen or an office
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote