Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #121
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Caught one in a trap yesterday...but not before they chowed down another tunnel of grass.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #122
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Caught one in a trap yesterday...but not before they chowed down another tunnel of grass.
Which trap did you use? The little bastids re-opened two holes I filled up in my front yard, and I found four new holes in my backyard last night.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #123
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm

Last edited by RedMileDJ; 08-31-2015 at 12:58 AM.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #124
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Any good suggestions for a full shade plant? I know hostas are popular but I am wondering if there are any other ones out there.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #125
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The weeds have densified enough in my front yard that it' s starting to resemble a city of Calgary park. tried to use some of the Scott's Eco-Sense weed killer in a spray bottle but it's way beyond spot treatment.

What's my best option now? Back in the day I would have used one of those weed/feed bottles you hook up to a hose for a little 'area denial bombing run' but I believe those are illegal in the City.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #126
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was in a similar situation and went through a few bottles of roundup. It's basically a scorched earth approach though, because I found even if you just spray the weeds, the grass takes it too. The good news is that it seams to have decimated them.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #127
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
The weeds have densified enough in my front yard that it' s starting to resemble a city of Calgary park. tried to use some of the Scott's Eco-Sense weed killer in a spray bottle but it's way beyond spot treatment.

What's my best option now? Back in the day I would have used one of those weed/feed bottles you hook up to a hose for a little 'area denial bombing run' but I believe those are illegal in the City.
Weed-be-gone works well. Or hiring the Weed Man for treatment Ive found effective.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2015, 10:09 PM   #128
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Killex. That eco sense stuff is garbage.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2015, 05:31 AM   #129
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Any good suggestions for a full shade plant? I know hostas are popular but I am wondering if there are any other ones out there.
Day lilies and poppies are nice. Also, thyme and oregano.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:18 AM   #130
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Astillbe's are beautiful. Heuchera. Spiderwort. Lamium. Toad Lily. I'll think of some more and post them.

Last edited by Suzles; 05-29-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suzles For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2015, 07:31 AM   #131
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://northernshade.ca/plant-list/

The above page is really good
Old 05-29-2015, 07:50 AM   #132
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also add to other's suggestions...

Solomon's Seal (Polygonatum)

Jacob's Ladder (Poleminium)

Globe spurge (Euphorbia)

Brunnera, Jack's Frost is most tolerant for our area

Lady's Mantle

Japanese columbine, particularly the blue and white variety

Ferns, Ostrich fern is particularly nice for the background

Maritima Silene, very nice blue-grey foliage with small white carnation type flowers, very hard to find now though

Some Cranesbill, smaller mounding varieties, like the Bloody (sanguineum) cranesbill or Bigfoot which also has fragrant leaves

Stachys grandiflora or miniature, usually Vales (Black Diamond) carries this

Bergenia

Monkshood

Globe flower (Trollius)
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:28 AM   #133
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post

Killex, which has 2,4-d which is the stuff that was in the weed/feed, you can only get it at garden centres now.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:20 PM   #134
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Killex, which has 2,4-d which is the stuff that was in the weed/feed, you can only get it at garden centres now.
http://m.canadiantire.ca/en/outdoor-...ontent=Default
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:41 AM   #135
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Landscaping/Gardening Thread.

Saw killex at Reno depot in the format where you can attach to a hose. That used to be the easy way to treat your lawn back in the day.

Last edited by Ace; 05-31-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:38 AM   #136
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Weed be Gone is also available as an attachment for a hose and works way better than Killex. The secret to success is NOT to cut the grass first. Its the leaves you soak not the flower or the ground. Make sure there is no rain for at least 48 hours after aplication. Leave the leaves for as long as possible after application before mowing. The Weed be Gone will leave a slight silver tinge to your lawn for 24 hours whilst your lawn absorbs the iron. Also if when applying you notice the liquid beading and rolling off the leaves you should spray a solution of a couple of drops of Dawn in a litre of water first as a surfectant. Next April when the snow first goes use Scotts Weed Preventer (red tab bag) and you will at least start the season without any new dandelions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Suzles For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2015, 08:25 AM   #137
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzles View Post
Weed be Gone is also available as an attachment for a hose and works way better than Killex. The secret to success is NOT to cut the grass first. Its the leaves you soak not the flower or the ground. Make sure there is no rain for at least 48 hours after aplication. Leave the leaves for as long as possible after application before mowing. The Weed be Gone will leave a slight silver tinge to your lawn for 24 hours whilst your lawn absorbs the iron. Also if when applying you notice the liquid beading and rolling off the leaves you should spray a solution of a couple of drops of Dawn in a litre of water first as a surfectant. Next April when the snow first goes use Scotts Weed Preventer (red tab bag) and you will at least start the season without any new dandelions.
It is certainly healthier for the environment (and us, for that matter), but saying Weed B Gone works better than Killex is ridiculous.

By all means, convince people to use iron water instead of carcinogenic compounds , but do so using its actual benefits.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2015, 08:30 AM   #138
AndyL
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Have any of you tried the new weed stick? (24-D on a rope?) Was pondering trying it as my front yards going wild... Pretty much need blanket coverage.

Also any tips on peppers? I'm on my 3rd round of popping habaneros, ghosts and it seems like everything goes fine until 4-5" and 8-10leaves, then its just a rapid death - starts with tips browning - within a day or two they're dried out and done... Doesn't seem to be fert or transplant related - ??? Using coco coir / potting soil mix - pondering if this might be soil pH issue?
AndyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:35 AM   #139
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
It is certainly healthier for the environment (and us, for that matter), but saying Weed B Gone works better than Killex is ridiculous.

By all means, convince people to use iron water instead of carcinogenic compounds , but do so using its actual benefits.
My opinion is anything but ridiculous. I am the manager of a Garden Centre. I have done my own trial in my back yard and Weed be Gone out performed Killex in every way. I sell a lot of Killex but that seems to be down to price as people balk at paying for Weed be Gone and choose the cheaper option. I have had many, many customers come back and thank me for introducing them to Weed be Gone.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:04 AM   #140
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzles View Post
My opinion is anything but ridiculous. I am the manager of a Garden Centre. I have done my own trial in my back yard and Weed be Gone out performed Killex in every way. I sell a lot of Killex but that seems to be down to price as people balk at paying for Weed be Gone and choose the cheaper option. I have had many, many customers come back and thank me for introducing them to Weed be Gone.
Interesting. I tried the weed b gone a few years ago. It didn't do much of anything, whereas Killex always kills them in 2 days or so.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
TKB

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies