Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #281
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Should I mow my lawn again? It was fertilized for the fall/winter about three weeks ago and the grass is around 3 inches now. I wasn't planning on mowing again but my neighbor mowed his lawn today. What is the best practice for preparing the lawn for the winter?
We did a final mow yesterday just to tidy up. Don't cut short - 2 and a half inches is best. It gets pretty cold at night at the end of this week so growth should (I say should, because, you know, this is Calgary) cease.
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #282
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

When can I prune my Caragana hedge? It got a bit scraggly this year, and I'm looking to take it back about a third. Also, any tips on how to best prune it? Before branches? After branches?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #283
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Landscaping/Gardening Thread.

How about rose bushes for that matter?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:25 PM   #284
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

######ing Deer! We planted 6 Norway Spruce trees this past summer, and I've noticed that about half of the trees have a bunch of the branches all stripped off in the middle of the trunk. I did some researching and it sounds like it's caused by the deer rubbing their antlers on the branches.

I've called some garden centers, and they recommended buying some Plantskydd, a blood based repellent that will keep the deer away from the trees, since they will smell the blood and think that there is a predator nearby.

My question is, will the branches grow back? It looks like complete crap right now with bare trunk in the middle of the tree. If not, I'm hoping this will be covered under Sunnyside's 1 year warranty.

Stupid ass deer.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:36 PM   #285
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
######ing Deer! We planted 6 Norway Spruce trees this past summer, and I've noticed that about half of the trees have a bunch of the branches all stripped off in the middle of the trunk. I did some researching and it sounds like it's caused by the deer rubbing their antlers on the branches.

I've called some garden centers, and they recommended buying some Plantskydd, a blood based repellent that will keep the deer away from the trees, since they will smell the blood and think that there is a predator nearby.

My question is, will the branches grow back? It looks like complete crap right now with bare trunk in the middle of the tree. If not, I'm hoping this will be covered under Sunnyside's 1 year warranty.

Stupid ass deer.
7 foot fence around your property is the best defence. The plantskyd works but you should reapply after a big rain. Also it won't work if they are,really hungry. No, the branches won't grow back. It really sucks when they bite the top branch, it slows the growth down until another branch takes over as a new leader. They can kill a tree if they chew enough bark off around any part of the trunk.

Chicken wire around the bottom works pretty good too. Wrap it around higher than where they bite too.

I'd bet they are eating them not rubbing antlers. At any rate, do something quick before they get the rest.

I hate deer. Wish the province would let us waste them like they do with coyotes.

Last edited by blueski; 11-28-2015 at 10:39 PM.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueski For This Useful Post:
V
Old 11-29-2015, 08:30 AM   #286
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueski View Post
7 foot fence around your property is the best defence. The plantskyd works but you should reapply after a big rain. Also it won't work if they are,really hungry. No, the branches won't grow back. It really sucks when they bite the top branch, it slows the growth down until another branch takes over as a new leader. They can kill a tree if they chew enough bark off around any part of the trunk.

Chicken wire around the bottom works pretty good too. Wrap it around higher than where they bite too.

I'd bet they are eating them not rubbing antlers. At any rate, do something quick before they get the rest.

I hate deer. Wish the province would let us waste them like they do with coyotes.

Nope, it is November and deer are in the rut. Rubbing antlers on branches is what male deer do during the rut...same with elk.

I live out at Priddis and have lots of deer on my property and my mountain ash trees are a favorite for the male deer to rub their antlers on.

Here is what I do. I put a stucco wire fence around the trees or plants that I know the deer will damage. That is a sufficient heighth to stop the rubbing. Deer will only jump over a fence if they can see what they will be landing on. On the other hand, I have an 8' fence around my vegetable garden.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:10 PM   #287
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Plantskyd will have to do until next spring when I put up a fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #288
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
When can I prune my Caragana hedge? It got a bit scraggly this year, and I'm looking to take it back about a third. Also, any tips on how to best prune it? Before branches? After branches?
There are a few ways you can do this.

Take out the thickest branches from the bottom. This can be very difficult to do.

If it's a well established hedge, you can chop off everything (coppicing). It will grow back very, very quickly.

Same thing for roses.

You can safely prune Caragana anytime from now until end of spring (start of June here). Once summer starts the new growth might not have enough time to harden before winter.

Last edited by Shazam; 11-30-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:54 AM   #289
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
Plantskyd will have to do until next spring when I put up a fence.

Maybe Santa will get you one of these:
http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...ws/reviews.htm
Old 12-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #290
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Not sure if this belongs here or the Home Improvement thread but it is technically outdoors..

We haven't paved our driveway yet and probably won't until late next summer or possibly the following spring (2017) depending how the landscaping goes. We have crushed gravel laid down right now all along the front (driveway, walk way, in front of the steps) as well as a path leading to our side (tenants) door. I am trying to figure out the best solution to help keep tracking of dirt and mud down for the tenant, over the winter it isn't as big of a deal with the snow and the gravel being frozen/packed down, but in the spring it will be a mess.

I've looked at the regular concrete slabs, carpet runners all that, just curious what others have used as a temporary multi season fix. I don't want to break the bank as it will all be coming up for pavement, but considering that it is at least 1 spring and possibly 2, I think it would be worth at least a few hundred dollars to do it right.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #291
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Not sure if this belongs here or the Home Improvement thread but it is technically outdoors..

We haven't paved our driveway yet and probably won't until late next summer or possibly the following spring (2017) depending how the landscaping goes. We have crushed gravel laid down right now all along the front (driveway, walk way, in front of the steps) as well as a path leading to our side (tenants) door. I am trying to figure out the best solution to help keep tracking of dirt and mud down for the tenant, over the winter it isn't as big of a deal with the snow and the gravel being frozen/packed down, but in the spring it will be a mess.

I've looked at the regular concrete slabs, carpet runners all that, just curious what others have used as a temporary multi season fix. I don't want to break the bank as it will all be coming up for pavement, but considering that it is at least 1 spring and possibly 2, I think it would be worth at least a few hundred dollars to do it right.
Kijiji for the large concrete pavers. Buy them, use them for a year then ditch them on kijiji. At least that's what I did.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #292
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post

I think the quick fix is just more gravel. That's what we do. Eventually I'll throw down masonry sand on top and put in a nice sandstone walkway for the non-driving parts close to the house.

To do a proper driveway that is not paved, I think you start with large rocks (3-4 inch) and dirt and pack that really well then smaller crush on top and then finally gravel. Just straight gravel will float around too much. But google it, this is just me shooting from the hip.
The Following User Says Thank You to blueski For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #293
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Kijiji for the large concrete pavers. Buy them, use them for a year then ditch them on kijiji. At least that's what I did.
I used hollow plastic pavers from Home Depot. They worked great for a season and are less work than hauling the concerts ones to site and removing them later.

I now have a stack in the garage in Edmonton that I was going to try to sell in the spring if you are in the area.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:04 PM   #294
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump for 2016...

Is it too early to fertilize and water my lawn? When should I start, if this nice weather continues?
Old 03-09-2016, 06:17 PM   #295
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since it is being bumped...
I've got potatoes growing fiercely in my basement, I am tempted to plant them....last year I planted early April and they were ready by August. I'm thinking I could get 2 crops if I plant now. Just a little worried about killing them, but they have 12-16" shoots already, so I don't know if they will last another month.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:20 PM   #296
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Bump for 2016...

Is it too early to fertilize and water my lawn? When should I start, if this nice weather continues?
Too early I think. I saw someone on the news this past weekend and they were talking about early gardening and lawn care. She was saying that even though the weather has been warm that the grass is not ready to be worked on. I would wait until the end of the month.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #297
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Its too early, Home Depot wont even Rent out there lawn equipment yet.
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:23 AM   #298
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Bump for 2016...

Still too early but I would water any trees you may have, especially evergreens.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2016, 08:33 AM   #299
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Seems some golf courses are hand watering greens now.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #300
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Landscaping/Gardening Thread.

So over the winter, all of my newly planted Norway spruce trees suffered damage from deers rubbing their antlers on the trees. Several branches were knocked off of the middle of the trunk, leaving the trees bare in the middle.

Does anyone know if the branches would grow back, or if the trees would look half decent once it grows more?

We only planted it late last summer. We bought the trees from sunny side and they have a one year warranty for their trees, but I'm not sure if this would be covered.

I will take pictures of the damage when I get home.

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies