Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2023, 08:19 AM   #1061
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

LEGO has announced it's latest UCS set, the Venator-Class Republic Attack Cruiser. Comes in at 5374 pieces and a CAD price tag of $850. Shows up on Oct 4.

I'm....underwhelmed? I don't know. I never really got into the Clone Wars/Republic level stuff, and the ship, while huge, looks kinda...plain? Still an impressively large set, though.

WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2023, 05:35 PM   #1062
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really happy with the 3 in 1 castle. Have always wanted a castle set and this is decent value. Was a fun build and looks great. Can adjust to make a square castle or spread out as walls with more play ability. Like the working draw bridge and water wheel that drives the forge. Am thinking of getting a 2nd one to build the tower version.

Old 09-18-2023, 07:42 AM   #1063
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Really happy with the 3 in 1 castle. Have always wanted a castle set and this is decent value. Was a fun build and looks great. Can adjust to make a square castle or spread out as walls with more play ability. Like the working draw bridge and water wheel that drives the forge. Am thinking of getting a 2nd one to build the tower version.

You may want to check out rebrickable. There are several really greats mods that use multiple sets. I have many copies of this set stashed for my eventual castle build. They have gone on sale regularly down here.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 11:52 AM   #1064
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Avengers Tower. $669. 5201 pieces. 3 feet tall.

Spoiler!

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/product/avengers-tower-76269
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2023, 02:46 PM   #1065
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Avengers Tower promo is a plain, yellow-box taxi cab that includes a Kevin Feige minifig. Really underwhelming.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 03:21 PM   #1066
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That Giza Pyramid set is a rare miss. It's a pyramid
Nothing special about designing it.
Old 11-17-2023, 02:47 PM   #1067
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anybody play around with LEGO CAD software?

Years, decades (!) ago I tried LDraw and found that it completely took all the fun out of Lego, was really cumbersome, and unstable.

This time around there was a practical reason for using software in that I need to order a bunch of pieces and I didn't really know what specifically, and the quantities. And because it takes a Lego like six weeks to ship bricks I want to get it right. So I downloaded Bricklink studios to see if it could help with that.

It's pretty slick. It still isn't exactly fun and even with a 27-in monitor I find it hard to see what I'm doing, but I had a basic idea what I wanted to make and it took me a little time to come up with a design and piece list.

Old 12-17-2023, 01:16 PM   #1068
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

JKBrickworks (YouTube, IG, etc - Google them) puts out free plans and modifications for various projects, and I built their swimming shark stand this weekend for a Christmas gift.

Kind of inspired me to see what else I can do with gears. I've never enjoyed moving lego/technic--or maybe never given it a chance--but this was a fun little project.

Posting video is too much work, here's a pic:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2023, 02:03 PM   #1069
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finished building my Optimus Prime.

It's a pretty good model, though it's very, very delicate and not at all a 'play' model. It does transform though, which is pretty neat.

Spoiler!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2023, 02:11 PM   #1070
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
JKBrickworks (YouTube, IG, etc - Google them) puts out free plans and modifications for various projects, and I built their swimming shark stand this weekend for a Christmas gift.

Kind of inspired me to see what else I can do with gears. I've never enjoyed moving lego/technic--or maybe never given it a chance--but this was a fun little project.

Posting video is too much work, here's a pic:

first thing that popped into my head.... baby shark, do do do do do... baby shark, do do do do do...
Old 01-01-2024, 01:11 PM   #1071
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Had some time to do some of the LEGO sets I've accumulated over the years this holiday season.

Did the The Starry Night, really like how it looks. Build itself was ok, sometimes had to really pay attention to make sure and use the correct shade of blue piece. I did make one mistake but would have taken a lot of work to correct so I left it, no one would notice, one slightly darker blue piece is swapped with one slightly lighter blue piece. Overall one of the ones where the end result is better than the build itself.

Also did the Back to the Future DeLorean kit finally. I don't think I've ever built a LEGO car build before so it was pretty interesting. It was a lot more fun to build than The Starry Night. You could also choose from 3 different forms of the car which is cool.

One of the coolest features which I somehow messed up is the wheels fold up to simulate the flying version (and movable clear bricks to let it look like it's hovering. But somehow I made it so the wheels don't fully flip horizontal and stay there. I wasn't aware that was how they worked until far too late. At some point I'll have to tear it apart to fix it but I wanted to build the version from the first movie anyway so not in a rush for that.
Old 01-01-2024, 04:45 PM   #1072
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What is the best way to sell Lego? My son was a Lego fanatic, so we have a lot of Avengers, Star Wars, DC, Ninjago and some city sets. The issue is he played with them with friends and recreated different things with the pieces and then those pieces get thrown in a bin with the other pieces. I could probably, with a lot of effort rebuild the complete sets...we did keep most of the manuals. We are looking at selling because he no longer plays with them. He has two sets that are started and not finished and have been that way for a few months so we figured its time.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 04:55 PM   #1073
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
What is the best way to sell Lego? My son was a Lego fanatic, so we have a lot of Avengers, Star Wars, DC, Ninjago and some city sets. The issue is he played with them with friends and recreated different things with the pieces and then those pieces get thrown in a bin with the other pieces. I could probably, with a lot of effort rebuild the complete sets...we did keep most of the manuals. We are looking at selling because he no longer plays with them. He has two sets that are started and not finished and have been that way for a few months so we figured its time.

Depends on the effort you want to go through. Easiest would be take the entire thing to brick bin and see what they pay. Second, would be to sell by the pound. I can't remember what the going rate is. Most difficult would be trying to piece together the sets and sell them used, might not get much more than by the pound for that (depending on the sets of course). Star wars stuff could be worth something if it has some of the rarer mini-figs.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 07:17 PM   #1074
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you have the manuals I'd try and search the set numbers in ebay and look at recently sold. Take the more valuable ones out and then sell them, the rest I'd sell as bulk by weight.
Old 01-02-2024, 07:03 AM   #1075
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
My sons also gave up on Lego this year. This was the first Christmas that not a single piece of new Lego came into the house.

We talked about selling it but we don't really need the few hundred bucks we would get by bulking it out. Instead, we put it all in 4 large bins and tucked them away in storage. I thought it would be better to save it for when they have kids themselves or even if they want to get back into it themselves later.

All the sets that were still together we semi-disassembled and put in large freezer bags to keep the pieces together. Mini-figs were put into 1 bin and everything else in the others.

Their Lego included all the Lego I had growing up and it was fun giving it to them when they were old enough (probably too young thinking back). Digging through the bin again after 20+ years was awesome for me too.

I know I've regretted not having some of the toys I had when I was a kid so I'm glad my parents hung on to my Lego for me.

If you have the storage room and don't really need the money, I say store it.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2024, 10:44 AM   #1076
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
My sons also gave up on Lego this year. This was the first Christmas that not a single piece of new Lego came into the house.

We talked about selling it but we don't really need the few hundred bucks we would get by bulking it out. Instead, we put it all in 4 large bins and tucked them away in storage. I thought it would be better to save it for when they have kids themselves or even if they want to get back into it themselves later.

All the sets that were still together we semi-disassembled and put in large freezer bags to keep the pieces together. Mini-figs were put into 1 bin and everything else in the others.

Their Lego included all the Lego I had growing up and it was fun giving it to them when they were old enough (probably too young thinking back). Digging through the bin again after 20+ years was awesome for me too.

I know I've regretted not having some of the toys I had when I was a kid so I'm glad my parents hung on to my Lego for me.

If you have the storage room and don't really need the money, I say store it.
Agree with that. I'm thankful my parents kept my old Lego as now I can introduce my kids to those sets and tell them stories of what Lego used to be like.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 12:30 PM   #1077
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Help CP - our house is overflowing with Lego and we need a better storage system. I looked back through the thread and the last discussion of storage was from 2020 and some of the links are broken, so I figured it was safe to ask again.

Our son is only 5, but his love of Lego means we have upwards of 20 sets already. Our system to date is to keep all the pieces in each set in a ziplock bag and those are just put into a basket. Now the basket is overflowing and the bags don't exactly look nice.

Thoughts? I think at this point we are just looking to keep sets together, so no mixing and sorting of pieces. Would just cheap small storage bins be the answer where we can put one set in each? Ideally we ditch the bags, but I suppose a larger storage bin with the bag is also an option if we want to keep it simple.
Old 01-02-2024, 10:14 PM   #1078
Texas
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Help CP - our house is overflowing with Lego and we need a better storage system. I looked back through the thread and the last discussion of storage was from 2020 and some of the links are broken, so I figured it was safe to ask again.

Our son is only 5, but his love of Lego means we have upwards of 20 sets already. Our system to date is to keep all the pieces in each set in a ziplock bag and those are just put into a basket. Now the basket is overflowing and the bags don't exactly look nice.

Thoughts? I think at this point we are just looking to keep sets together, so no mixing and sorting of pieces. Would just cheap small storage bins be the answer where we can put one set in each? Ideally we ditch the bags, but I suppose a larger storage bin with the bag is also an option if we want to keep it simple.
The fun of Lego is having a giant bin full of random pieces and building custom worlds and ships and house and bases and vehicles. Stop worrying about keeping sets together.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 10:41 AM   #1079
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Pretty good deal at Costco on the UCS Venator which includes the RoS Millennium Falcon

https://www.costco.ca/.product.24753...b259579c0ece-0
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2024, 10:55 AM   #1080
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I started playing with Lego again recently approaching my 4th decade of life when making things for my friends kids and wish I had all my old creations so I would advise against selling unless you really need the money...or its Star Wars because that overproduced stuff can all burn and make space for other deserving licenses.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ahhh_my_foot , ifyoubuildittheywillcome , legorules