Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #1681
calgaryjohn87
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont think any of us are 'opposed' to a new arena.

Literally '0' people think: "The Saddledome is good enough and can last forever."

We all want a new arena, but man, there has to be a limit as to how much of the bill people can expect the taxpayers to foot.

You know what? If they want the City to pay for a new arena then great. We can and will.

They will not like the rent.
I just don't see the big deal. Put up 500-600 million and tell them team they can come up with the rest. For a city like Calgary to squabble over pennies really doesn't make sense. We are an Oil town, time to start living like it
Old 04-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #1682
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryjohn87 View Post
I just don't see the big deal. Put up 500-600 million and tell them team they can come up with the rest. For a city like Calgary to squabble over pennies really doesn't make sense. We are an Oil town, time to start living like it
Okay. And we're done.

Sorry man....theres just too much there.

The only thing I'd leave you with is: Oil is 'Feast or Famine.'

And now is famine.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #1683
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am surprised there's as many people as there is opposed to an arena on this forum.

For Calgary to maintain its world class status we need a world class venue. We host some of the wealthiest people in the world for our Oil conferences and our venues are just not up to par.

The total taxpayer comtribution would be far less then $1000 per person in Calgary, that is not a lot of money for a one of a kind, state of the art, world class, better then Edmonton, type of building.

Calgary needs a building they can show off to the world as being a masterpiece and revolutionary, if a measly 1.3 billion Calgary dollars does that then I dont truly see what the problem or hold up is.
It's time to stop posting Ken.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #1684
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Is it still 2012?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #1685
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the words "world class" need to be banned from this forum.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #1686
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sometimes I wish this thread was a buffalo so I could drive it over a cliff.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #1687
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It sucks doesn't it when real numbers are thrown into the argument.
They aren't real numbers. They are alleged numbers brought in a lawsuit from a city who is trying to recuperate hundreds of millions of dollars from a sports franchise that packed up and left them holding the bag.

The numbers in a claim have to be proven. They haven't been. You aren't a lawyer so you don't understand how initial claims are brought. Remember that lady that sued McDonalds for millions for hot coffee? how much did she ultimately settle for?

The lawsuit is a joke and is either (a) trying to get publicity, or (b) trying to get some pittance of a settlement to say they did something to stand up to the NFL and Kroenke.

If anything, it would be hilarious to see the NFL argue that their stadiums Don't generate that kind of revenue.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:12 PM   #1688
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
MagCan? Gainers? Swan Hills? Those are some of the failures (and thus reported).

Right now there's the Sturgeon Refinery.
Just because previous/current governments enact horrible economic policies doesn't mean we should be doomed to repeat them.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #1689
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.visitdubai.com/en/

Here you go, bud.

Have at 'er.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:23 PM   #1690
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am surprised there's as many people as there is opposed to an arena on this forum.

For Calgary to maintain its world class status we need a world class venue. We host some of the wealthiest people in the world for our Oil conferences and our venues are just not up to par.

The total taxpayer comtribution would be far less then $1000 per person in Calgary, that is not a lot of money for a one of a kind, state of the art, world class, better then Edmonton, type of building.

Calgary needs a building they can show off to the world as being a masterpiece and revolutionary, if a measly 1.3 billion Calgary dollars does that then I dont truly see what the problem or hold up is.
There's not that many that are 100% opposed. What you read here is a very vocal minority. I wouldn't call $1.3 billion a "measly" figure. I'm in the pro-CalgaryNEXT camp but I expect the owners to sweeten their initial offer as I don't expect the city/province to foot the majority of bill. If Edmonton can make it work surely Calgary can.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #1691
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Expresses lack of understanding of the word minority.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:29 PM   #1692
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Expresses lack of understanding of the word minority.
Expresses lack of understanding poll results.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #1693
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

That poll?

Probably one of the worst worded poll questions I've ever seen? It's actually embarrassing that that poll is on this site. You can read the petulant support for the "give them the money" argument through it. Since you seem to be taking this comically slanted poll and a frivolous lawsuit as your evidence, it's no wonder you're so eager to hand out wads of cash.

What this thread has done is make every one of your posts in political threads where you try to act like captain conservative LAUGHABLY hilarious.

Just admit you want this because you want it and don't care about costing. Stop trying to push a knowingly false narrative. It's embarrassing and so transparent.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #1694
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man Ponch you are amazing sometimes in your ability to explicitly ignore things that counteract your viewpoint. Reminder of this poll exclusively on CalgaryNEXT....

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...ht=calgarynext

....is that only 25% in favor of CalgaryNEXT? You bet it is. I get that you really, really, really, reeeeeealllllly want a new stadium and arena, but your desperation for this is mostly comical, kinda sad, a little weird too.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #1695
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Expresses lack of understanding poll results.
Even if that Poll was at 100% in favour, we are not exactly a good sample.

I dont know.

I am not opposed to some public money going into an arena, not at all, but theres got to be some benefit to us as taxpayers and not just throwing cash away.

There has to be a tangible benefit to the city and the citizens that either makes some money or at the very least justifies the cost.

We can not do what Edmonton did. That was ridiculous.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #1696
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Even if that Poll was at 100% in favour, we are not exactly a good sample.

I dont know.

I am not opposed to some public money going into an arena, not at all, but theres got to be some benefit to us as taxpayers and not just throwing cash away.

There has to be a tangible benefit to the city and the citizens that either makes some money or at the very least justifies the cost.

We can not do what Edmonton did. That was ridiculous.
That was kind of the point of post #1690.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #1697
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The general public wants this even less than Flames fans would. So if it's only 25% of Flames fans who want CalgaryNEXT, the general public number is probably 20% of less. Just a terrible, no good, very bad concept. It needs to die, because Plan A in Vic Park could be finalized in a few months if the Flames can accept it. If they really want CalgaryNEXT, this is years from being finished, or more to the point, if they want CalgaryNEXT, Plan A could be totally built by the time the process related to CalgaryNEXT finally, totally plays out.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #1698
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dollars to donuts, Gary is going to leverage this Seattle club as move-play on Calgary's citizens. Or, I just gave Ken the idea, in him reading this thread.

http://www.bardown.com/the-nhl-acqui...itans-1.725315
Old 04-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #1699
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Dollars to donuts, Gary is going to leverage this Seattle club as move-play on Calgary's citizens. Or, I just gave Ken the idea, in him reading this thread.

http://www.bardown.com/the-nhl-acqui...itans-1.725315
I honestly dont see it. Why move from Calgary to a 'maybe' in Seattle?

I do not believe the League would allow it.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:21 PM   #1700
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good luck to M. Edwards trying to raise any public funds for the 20,000 seat arena to house this giant turd. Hopefully a good reminder to everyone this isn't some social cause, but a for-profit entertainment product that is hardly entertaining as of late.

Love to see KK threaten to leave again tomorrow.
Closed Thread