Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2024, 01:38 PM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default NHL.com: (Color of Hockey) Iginla's children adding to family's legacy in game

Quote:
Daughter, sons following in large footsteps of Hall of Fame forward

Jarome Iginla said he didn’t build an outdoor rink at his family’s home for the first time in nearly 10 years because he wasn’t sure who would have time to use it.

Daughter Jade Iginla is a sophomore at Brown University, where she led its NCAA Division I women’s hockey team in scoring for the second consecutive season.

Sons Tij and Joe Iginla are living at home in Kelowna, British Columbia, but they’re also busy living their hockey lives.

Tij, a 17-year-old forward, is the second-leading scorer for Kelowna of the Western Hockey League and is No. 11 on NHL Central Scouting’s midterm rankings of North American skaters eligible for the 2024 NHL Draft.

Joe, a 15-year-old forward for RINK Hockey Academy Kelowna’s Under-18 team, already has made his debut WHL debut with Edmonton and scored his first major junior goal.

“Over the years, I look back and see pictures of the outdoor rinks that we got to play (on) and battle,” Jarome Iginla said. “This is the first year we didn’t have an outdoor rink, and I was definitely a little bit sad.”

That sadness is supplanted by pride and joy as he watches his children forge their own hockey paths they hope will take them to the pros.

But it almost always goes back to the backyard rink for the Iginlas. Tij remembers the competitive games that would take place on the ice between the siblings and their famous father.

“The only real rivalry was back in the day playing against each other on the outdoor rink.” Tij said. “A little bit of 2-on-2, we’d play that quite a bit. Those games were pretty intense, everybody wanted to win. Usually, it was me and my sister going up against my brother and my dad. That’s kind of where the rivalry was. But other than that, we all like to see each other have success.”

https://www.nhl.com/news/jarome-igin...gacy-in-hockey
I can't help but picture Conny at the podium this summer, thanking the host of the draft and then calling his best friend over to announce the Flames' first pick...
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 02:22 PM   #2
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Iggy is sad.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 02:26 PM   #3
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good read, but the title kind of sucks TBH. I see Jarome Iginla as the best power forward the Flames have had thus. The color that I see him is a Flaming Red. The legacy that he left for his kids to follow - that's amazing! That's all that matters.

Last edited by CSharp; 02-26-2024 at 02:28 PM.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2024, 02:40 PM   #4
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

On one side, I agree. I think this article deserves to be written just because of how awesome he is. Like, he should get the same treatment any player of his legacy should, regardless of his color.

But also, on the other side... showcasing Iginla is a pretty easy win if we're looking to make things easier for kids of color to play hockey. I don't know what things were like for Iggy as a kid, but I think it must be a bit easier growing up today in a hockey world that has Jarome Iginla in it.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 03:22 PM   #5
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Iggy is sad.
He'll get to skate with his boys again, for the Flames, as their coach in the new building.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 04:37 PM   #6
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

"Color of Hockey" is the name of a long-running series by this author at NHL.com, it's not specific to this article.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote